Garmin Vs Megellan

GeoChaff

Meridian Color GPS Traveller Pack for $499. It comes with a 64 MB card and DirectRoute software. Direct Route is as good as having a Street Pilot minus voice prompts. It uses beeps and on screen prompts to give turn by turn directions. I have it and a Meridian Gold and it's worth every penny I paid for it.

You're going to get fans on both sides of the fence here. I have a Garmin Legend only because my son-in-law is a professional surveyor nad told me that's what I should get (Garmin Brand). If you have up to $500 to spend, you can get alot as my Legend went for about $150. What do you want it to do? Do you want color display? Do you want an electronic compass? When it all boils down, get the most bang for your buck. From what I see here, the Magellan and Garmin people are equally happy. There is a fair amount of brand loyalty. Good luck.

They are both good and have their strong points. Depends on what is important to you. If you want a compact GPS, the Garmin Gecko and eTrex line are perfect. They are small and easy to use.

Garmin does seem to have a wider range of handeld models than Magellan ranging from the tiny Gecko and the very popular eTrex line, to the full featured Map 76CS and the new color models, including the excellent 60CS. The Magellan Meridian series is a fine bunch of GPS's and have the advantage of using removable memory cards so you can increase your unit's memory by slipping in a new card. This can be beneficial if you travel frequently and widely, but it also adds to the expense because you have to buy the extra cards. Personally, I've never had use for more than the 24 meg of memory available in my eTrex Vista and my new 60CS has more than double that.

The Garmins seem to have better resolution on their screens. I find them to be much easier to read than the Magellans. Also, to me the Garmin user interface is more intuitive, but I'm sure Magellan users would tell you the opposite. All I know is that I figured out how to use each of my units (a Gecko, Legend, Vista and 60CS) without reading the owners manual.

Some will say that Magellans have slightly better reception under heavy leaf cover, but I've used all my Garmin units under heavy tree cover without a problem. Some of the Magellan units ( the Sportrak line and I think the Meridian too) will continue to project your route for a while if they lose the sat lock. Some people like this feature and others find its benefits to be debatable. Same goes for waypoint averaging which comes with most Magellan models. The Garmin eTrex & Gecko lines don't have the WP averaging feature, but the 60CS does. Not sure about the other ones like the GPS V and Map 76 series, but I think they do have WP averaging. Still, the benefits of this feature are debatable because for it to be truly accurate you'd have to average over a period of several days, not just a few minutes.

$500 will get you a lot of GPS. IMHO the top consumer grade GPSs out there right now are the Garmin 60CS and Map 76CS. Both can be found for under $400 if you shop around (I paid $360 for my 60CS). They have features like autorouting and the 60CS has a neat geocaching mode which is helpful.

You can't go wrong with either, but I think from my post you can tell that I prefer Garmin.

Edited by briansnat
I have a Garmin Legend only because my son-in-law is a professional surveyor nad told me that's what I should get (Garmin Brand). If you have up to $500 to spend, you can get alot as my Legend went for about $150. What do you want it to do? Do you want color display? Do you want an electronic compass? When it all boils down, get the most bang for your buck.

I want an internal compass and altimeter (I know- I'll still carry a non-electric compass!). More important though, I want topographical map capability and the ability to easily plug into a port to upload waypoints from the Geocache website directly to my GPS.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

GeoChaff

I have a Garmin Legend only because my son-in-law is a professional surveyor nad told me that's what I should get (Garmin Brand).  If you have up to $500 to spend, you can get alot as my Legend went for about $150.  What do you want it to do?  Do you want color display?  Do you want an electronic compass?  When it all boils down, get the most bang for your buck.

I want an internal compass and altimeter (I know- I'll still carry a non-electric compass!). More important though, I want topographical map capability and the ability to easily plug into a port to upload waypoints from the Geocache website directly to my GPS.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

GeoChaff

In the Garmin line, the eTrex Vista, Map 76CS, Map76S and 60CS have those features.

In the Magellan line, the Meridian Platnium does and I think the Sportrak Pro might.

You'd have to buy thir proprietary mapping software to get topo maps for your Garmin or Magellan however.

Again, if you want something compact, that will fit in your pocket the eTrex line is a good choice. Its a steal these days and I've seen the Vista for as little as $200. Not long ago it was a $350 unit. There is also the color version, the Vista C which is pricier.

If you prefer a larger unit, which would be easier to read while driving the, Meri Platnium, or Map 76 series would be good choices. The screen on the 60CS is also a good size.

Edited by briansnat

Ford or Chevy? Personally, I like the Chevy (Magellan :P ). For the things that I consider/look for, the Magellan (I have the ST Pro) scores a home run while the Garmin units came up just a bit short. Again, that is only my opinion and based only on what's important to me.

Both brands are good, each has certain areas that may have a slight edge (real or perceived) over the other, but neither outdoes the other across the board.

Narrow it down to a couple of choices, then go somewhere that carries them and actually hold them in your hand. How does it "feel" to you? That should be the final deal-maker.

Bottom line, you can't make a "wrong" decision, as both Chevy and Ford make great units (although as you can see by my avatar I actually drive a Toyota :lol: ).

Edited by 4x4van

Right on, 4x4. That also answers the question about buying online versus purchasing from, say, REI. The REI folks seem way more helpful than the techie store (think circuit city) drones.

Thanks for the hints. I'm leaning toward the Garmin based on what I've heard here.

-GeoChaff

For your budget you can get everything you want in a GPS.

So here is how I'd narrow the field. In Color, Garmin wins. Hands down. The screens are that much better.

For memory, Take your normal territory. The area you travel within and will use maps within. How much memory will you need for that? Double it if you want both Topo Maps and STreet maps. Drop any GPS that doesn't hold that much territory.

The Compass and Altimiter rules out a bunch more GPS units.

Once you have your criteria set and rule out the GPS's that dont' fit, you won't have that many left to choose from. At that point the decision should be fairly straight forward.

Right on, 4x4.  That also answers the question about buying online versus purchasing from, say, REI.  The REI folks seem way more helpful than the techie store (think circuit city) drones. 

Thanks for the hints.  I'm leaning toward the Garmin based on what I've heard here.

-GeoChaff

You're better off buying online. Go to the store and check them out if you want, but you'll find far better prices online. For instance I paid $360 for my 60CS at Amazon and I think it was $390 at Offroute.com, but its $500 at REI.

REI wants $279 for the eTrex Vista and its as low as $194 at Amazon.

For memory, Take your normal territory. The area you travel within and will use maps within. How much memory will you need for that? Double it if you want both Topo Maps and STreet maps. Drop any GPS that doesn't hold that much territory

For an example of what to expect, on the 24 megs of my Vista, I have topo maps for all of NJ. Southern NY from the NJ border to the northern tip of the Catskills, NYC, western LI, southern VT south of Rutland, eastern PA (the Poconos), the route 7/9 corridor from Albany to Bennington and the area between Erie Pa and Dunkirk NY.

With my new 60CS with 54 megs, I've been adding maps and have yet to find a limit. I have maps for every place I frequent and places I think I possibly might ever find myself, with room to spare and the 76CS has double the memory of the 60CS.

Edited by briansnat
Meridian Color GPS Traveller Pack for $499.  It comes with a 64 MB card and DirectRoute software.  Direct Route is as good as having a Street Pilot minus voice prompts.  It uses beeps and on screen prompts to give turn by turn directions.  I have it and a Meridian Gold and it's worth every penny I paid for it.

330$ at Costco last week :P ... if you can wait a little watch for deals, it's XMas soon :lol: .

I second that by the way. Got the same system, just love it. Color is a + for driving and the NEW Magellan Topo software but it's less friendly on the batteries (and the wallet).

it's less friendly on the batteries

I don't know how they did it, but the the batteries in 60CS seem to last forever. My Vista ate batteries like potato chips. An afternoon of caching with the Vista would do in a set. Yesterday I geocached all afternoon and left my unit on accidently. When I picked it up this morning it was still on and there was battery life left.

I'd be lucky to get 6-8 hours out of a fresh set of Duracells in my Vista. The 60CS is giving me at least 24 hours.

Voices on Garmin versus Megellan?

Go Lowerance! :P (or Brunton, navman, cobra, trimble etc etc)

Personally Im a garmin user, I really like my gpsV. Autorouting maps! good for road travel and geocaching. Kinda bigger sized, and wish it had more memory but is a very good unit. But its not a $500 unit. If your going to spend 500, or less even, you can easily get something with more memory or expanable memory (garmin's very lacking in that), and color and probably pressure alimeter and electronic compass (if you care for those features). I realize this doesn't tell you which to buy, but you left it pretty open, not even defining what you may or may not use it for. If you don't care, then noone at garmin/magellan/elsewhere will either if you buy something that has a lot of extras you don't need and may never use.

I am fairly new to this myself but my companion cacher has enabled me to compare garmin and magellan in the field.

She had an eTrex Legend now has the Garmin 60CS.

Mine is a Magellan Gold. I like the intuitive way that Magellan works for me over both the Legend and 60CS.

One thing the gold does not have.. an electronic compass.

The color in the 60 CS is fantastic makes it a bit easier to read.

With a $500 budget you have a helluva lot to choose from at the top end. My choice with a budget like that. would be a Magellan Meridian Color.

Goto both Magellan and Garmin websites compare them.. each you can download the manuals for.. Course if I had of thought of that in the beginning.. I might have moved up from what I did purchase. Adding color and compass.

It may be worth the extra $200 just to interact with a real human being

Some people may feel that this is unethical, but you could always go to REI, look at the units, talk with the sales person, say "let me think it over", then go buy online. The money you save can be used to purchase the topo mapping software.

I've also found that a lot of these salespeople are cluless when it comes to GPSes. I was at Campmor, where they brag about having experts in every department and they usually do. Go to backpacks and half the staff has thru hiked the Appalachain Trail. Go to watersports and you're likely to find several people who moonlight as Outward Bound kayaking instructors. But I went to the GPS counter and got blank looks and shrugs when asking about GPSes. One guy took out the box and started reading the specs to me from the back. Heck, I could have done that.

Same thing at EMS when I asked a guy if he had City Select mapping software for Garmin. He handed me National Geographic Topo and said this is all he had for the Garmin. Now I know that NG Topo can't be downloaded to the Garmin, but obviously he didn't.

So human interaction is sometimes overrated.

Back to the GPS's. One thing I really like about the 60CS is the way I can customize the displays. I don't know if other models are so customizable (I know my Legend and Vista weren't), but on the 60CS I can choose what displays will show as I page through them and I can also control what data is displayed on each screen, and how much. Its great because I don't have to page through displays that aren't important to me and I can display only the information that I care about. Not what some software engineer, or marketing expert sitting in an office decided I should see.

Edited by briansnat

As someone who just went through the evaluation and purchasing process, I second the idea of going to REI or some store where you can try them out, even if you buy it online.

I was looking in a lower price range than you are, but after studying all the specs, looking at the comparison charts, and getting opinions from experienced users here, there was still no clear cut answer for my intended use - there were 2 readily available and widely used units with similar capabilities. However, once I got to play with them in the store I was clear on which one I prefered, based on ease of operation, button design and flow of screens.

Good luck and have fun!

If you want to get real help with a GPS try West Marine in there is on in your area, The probelmwith REI is that they pay a very low wage and can not get anyone that knows anything to work for them.

As far as Magellan and the Meridian gold which I use as well as two other magellan models, If you are in an area with lots of caches as I am, you can load the waypoints onto the memory card in files that you can create, my card has a file for each city I cache in. Also the Map send direct route software will save you lots of time in loking for a cache.

As far as a built in electronic compass, I feel they are a waste of money. For a lot less you can get a real base plated compass that will not require batteries,

Now on to Topo maps on a GPS screen, while they can be handy, your are not going to get the same detail that you find on a real USGS map. IF you want detail, use National Geographic Topo software, you can not these map into a GPS but you can print them out with the waypoints on the map.

We own both, the Magellan really does do better under heavy tree cover, so that's a consideration if there's a lot of forest caching in your future (expected).

Lots of money to be saved online, especially for map CDs and memory. I absolutely agree with Briansnat's point about customizing screens, especially being able to get rid of the ones you don't find yourself using much. I believe that's a feature on both Garmin and Magellan higher end units.

I'll make it unamimous. I decided at REI and bought online. I got my Garmin VistaC for $325 vs $400 in stores. I'm a Garmin person, but I do have to point out Magellan has more memory capabilites, i.e. higher end models take various memory cards which, depending on how many maps you want to have at a certain time, may be a deciding factor for you.

Edited by j9cache

I've had my Magellan for a year and a half, and absolutly love it. I did my homework and decided that the Meridian Platnum was for me. My primary purpose was to use it for back-country fishing expiditions because its waterproof, rugged and has a relatively large , backlit display. Just got into 'caching' this year and found that it was also a perfect fit. Get your hands on a few (working) units and you'll find one that best suits your needs. Hope this helps :blink:

We own both, the Magellan really does do better under heavy tree cover, so that's a consideration if there's a lot of forest caching in your future (expected).

Is that comparing a Magellan with an eTrex's patch antenna, or with the Garmin units with the quad helix antennas like the 76 and 60 series?

Personally I've found little difference geocaching alongside Magellan users and in fact usually beat the Sportrak owners to the cache because they're walking 90 feet past it before their units catch on.

Edited by briansnat

I looked at everything I could find from Mount Vernon to Bellingham, WA. REI, Walmart, Sporting goods stores, Best Buy, Circuit City.. I dont think I missed anyplace that 'might' have had a GPSr.

There was not a single retail clerk that had more info than what is written on the box.

Took my cue from the forums.. and made my purchase from the Forums Garage Sale. I think I got a super bargain for a starter package. The Topo software I got from eBay significantly less than anywhere else, new in bubble pack. As I said earlier.. when I upgrade Color and Compass.

There was not a single retail clerk that had more info than what is written on the box. 

That is the problem with the outdoor industry and most of the retail industry in general. to keep prices down the retailers pay very little, in paying very little they cannot get employees that know about the products. I went with a freind to an REI to help him purchase a GPS, We were looking at the Garmin Legend and the Magellan Sport track map. The sales clerk was going off on how the Garmin was a much better GPS, I asked him if he had ever used a Magellan, and he said he had never used a Magellan (So here this guy is down talking something he has never used). Then I asked him how much he had used a Garim, he said the Garmin did a seminar once (and this guy thinks he knows about Garmin from a semeinar) For those of you who have never been to a Garmin in store seminar, these tend to last about one hour and they cover all the hand held Garmin products in just one hour, wow what great training, of course a lot of this is due to the way REI and other retailers do things.

BTW I went through the Magellan with him and he was very surprised at some of the features. Of course we in the USA want the lowest prices, so I guess we should not complain about the lack trained staff when we go shopping.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have both: Magellan Meridian Color and Garmin eTrex Vista.

The Magellan's drawback is that it is HUGE and not great for stealth caching. And, like any GPS with a quadrifilar-Helix antenna, it is great in the open, in the woods, and driving ad boating. It is not so good in canyons, near cliffs, nor office buildings. The larger display and buttons on the front make it great for driving and boating. The expandable memory feature is great. I started with 64MB, but when DirectRoute came out, I upgraded to a 512MB SD card. I use this one 90% of the time.

The Garmin's features are the very small size, the electronic compass, and the patch antenna which is not very accurate in the woods or while driving, but is great in canyons, depressions, and near cliffs and office buildings.

I put together a web page comparing the accuracy (non-scientific study) of the Magellan vs. and eTrex Legend. It turns out the Legend was defective, and I returned it. This weekend, I am updating the page to include the Vista. Check it out on Saturday night.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/geocache/garmin_magellan.html

It really boils down to deciding what you are going to do with the units, and what features you need. I would also sugggest going to a store to actually see and touch them. Your best opportunity to compare is to go to a geocaching get-together and ask to see what everyone uses.

Edited by DustyJacket

Comparing the Vista to the Meridian for size is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Ford Explorer. You would be better to compare the Vista to one of the sport tracks from Magellan. The sport trak is slightly larger than the e-treks series but you get the better antenna, I have seen people complain even about the size of the Sport track next to the e-trek, you would think that the Meridian was the size of a micro wave oven.

Furthermore I have used the Meridian gold for most of the caches I have found

(it is not huge) the size has never been a problem, I do not know where the stealth issue comes from, but is not a real issue. I am not trying to start a flame, but when comparing GPSr on size lets be more realistic.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
The Magellan's drawback is that it is HUGE and not great for stealth caching. . .

The Garmin's features are the very small size . . .

The Meridian is a little large but I wouldn't think enough to be a problem caching. I have the Magellan SporTrak Pro and it's small.

Edited by Thot
Comparing the Vista to the Meridian for size is like ...... but when comparing GPSr on size lets be more realistic.

Actually, I was showing the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Size was just one issue. Each has its own good points. That is why I own both of them. I can only compare the ones I own.

I used the Meridian Color for the first 186 caches I found, and love it. I also use it for driving and boating.

I bought the Vist for my backup and for urban caching (the Meridian is too big to look like a cell phone and it doesn't fit in my pocket.).

The Vista is better for caching next to buildings, in canyons/depressions, and next to cliffs, where the Meridian doesn't do as well. The Garmins with quad-helix antennas (the 76 and 60) suffer from exactly the same thing as the Meridians. The quad-helix antenna looks more towards the hrizon, and suffers from "reflections" from buildings and cliffs.

It is not a "brand" thing; it is a "features" thing.

BTW: I have updated my comparison web page:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/geocache/garmin_magellan.html

Edited by DustyJacket

I own a Magellan SporTrak Pro and the new Garming 60cs. I love the auto-Routing feature on the new Garmin. It saves an awful lot of time getting to the jump off point. I also find the color screen much easier to read especially in direct sunlight, but when I im in heavy tree cover the Garmin gets confused while the Magellan will take me right to the cache. If I wait a while the Garmin will also find the cache, but it will take longer and can be frustrating.

With that said I am using the Garmin because its other advantages outweigh its faults.

I also bought on line and saved more than $100.

:blink:

Edited by Night Stalker
Clever, CYBret. However, your cartoon says that both lose before ever reaching the cache. So which do you use?

GoeChaff

Started out with a Garmin eTrex Venture - used it for a year and a half (200 caches)

Bought a Garmin eTrex Yellow - used it as a spare - was stolen pretty quickly

Bought a Garmin eTrex Legend after 200 caches - my main GPS now.

I also got really good deals on a Magellan GPS Companion for my Palm 515 and use it while driving and a good deal on a Magellan eXplorist which ...well...to be honest....just isn't all that great.

No data port....what were they thinking??? :lol:

Oh, and I haven't got the light saber to actually function yet. :blink:

Bret

I started with Garmin some years ago (a GPS II Plus) ... used that for navigating my airplane for a couple of years, then burned plastic and put a panel-mount Garmin GPS in my Tri-Pacer. I bought a GPS III Pilot to back that up (size of GPS V, aviation database, aviation display but no WAAS), and that"s what I used to find my first cach today (Crab Creek).

That said, I know my elderly GPS III Pilot isn't optimum for this game. It averages to 20 feet at best, and that's out in the open. At that, it's better than the coordinates listed for Crab Creek ...

:D

If you want all the features you need for geocaching, (compact size, water resistant, shock resistant, ect.) AND you want to use it for mapping or perhaps in your car, take a look at the Quest by Garmin. It's like a Street Pilot that goes camping.

It's worked very well for me in both urban and rural environments.

Well said, Vision. A compact answer I can take shopping. The Garmin always seems to get high marks here.

hello

im new to geocaching started a short time ago. reading what every one was saying i was thinking that i must buy a new GPS unit. well i been using a magellan 315 and it been getting me to within 2-3 feet most of the time only once it was about 9-10 feet off. i look on the map before i go and when i get close i use my 315.

i cant even think why would i want or need anything more then that.

reading and looking at the new GPS units i realy dont see any one better then the other except some features.

all of them about as accurete from what i looked and read about.

maybe some of you know of any one in the army and they can get you one that has better accurecy then what we can buy.

alex

Briansnat, you should be in sales for Garmin! After reading your posts about how much you love your 60 CS I ordered one today from gpscity.com and Purolator just emailed me to say it will be here by Thursday. I bought an etrex Legend on Friday from Best Buy but will be returning it as soon as the 60 CS arrives!! I also ordered a car mount, power cord and Metroguide v6.

Thanks for the product testimonials! I quickly realized that it would be worth the extra cost to get auto-routing, a real compass, colour and more memory!!

Some people may feel that this is unethical, but you could always go to REI, look at the units, talk with the sales person,  say "let me think it over", then go buy online.  The money you save can be used to purchase the topo mapping software.

:huh:

"Unethical" Doesn't sum it up. This is downright RUDE and Inconsiderate. It's also the reason why you pay so much more in a store! The sales guy spends a half hour helping you, at $x per hour, that's totally wasted, unproductive time, in which he can't do anything else. Multiply this by a few dozen people, and you'll see why stores make a loss, and are forced to close down. (Rude stuff removed) :lol:

Edited by CYBret

Space Man,

Save your money. Dusted off my 6 year old Magellan 315 last Feb. when I discovered Geocaching. Since then I have found 242 caches and never once has it failed to get me where I want to go. In my humble opinion it is a waste of money for useless bells and whistles. I have also planted 9 caches and have yet to get a complaint about coords being off. As all experienced cachers know, once you are within 20 feet put the thing away and start hunting!

Hi,

I've used the Garmin etrex series and Magellan sportraks and meridians, and have found the reception and coord location to be better, faster, and more accurate witht he Magellan's (I can't speak for the higher end Garmins, although I'm sure somebody will).

nfa-jamie

i cant even think why would i want or need anything more then that.

Electronic compass, mapping, autorouting, customizability, high resolution color screens, barometric altimeter all come immediately to mind.

Which >exact< Garmin model has these features again, brian? Those all sound like things I want.