Gpsr Comparisons

Azaruk

I would imagine that this has been mentioned before, but ........

There appear to be a fair number of new members coming to the forum for advice on purchasing GPSr equipment.

Wouldn't it be great if a page could be built on the site detailing available equipment, what sort of prices they are, what features they have and what features are actually used when geocaching, and perhaps a comparison chart between the various manufacturers.

It would HAVE to be totally impartial, of course, but would be an excellent starting point for the new people.

Some of the seasoned cachers could also supply information based on their actual experience.

Just a thought ........

Edited by Azaruk

As 11 After has noted, there are many other sites already out there which assist with GPS unit purchase decisions. It's not part of the core mission of this site to duplicate those other resources. But, Groundspeak does provide the GPS Units and Software Forum for questions. And, in the "Frequently Asked Questions" topic that's pinned at the top of this forum, there is a post linking to www.gpsinformation.net , a/k/a "Joe Mehaffey's Site", which is widely regarded as informative and unbiased.

I agree that there are sites out there with side-by-side comparisons.

But this still doesn't help the absolute newcomer who has absolutely no idea about the equipment.

For the unitiated it must be a minefield!!!

Then just buy an eTrex Legend and be done with it. <_< Seriously, what exactly are you looking for? If its just a basic GPS for geocaching, the Garmin yellow eTrex and Garmin Gecko 201 are good choices.

If you want more features like mapping, the eTrex Legend, Vista and Magellan Sportrak Map are good choices. If you want a full featured GPS with lots of map memory, electronic compasses, auto routing etc... the Magellan Meridian Platnium, Garmin GPS V (it actually doesn't have the electronic compass), Garm Map 76S are good choices.

If you want the new generation of GPS's with color screens, the eTrex Legend C, Vista C, Garmin 60C, 60CS, Map76CS, Meridian color and Sportrak Pro color are good options.

Edited by briansnat
I agree that there are sites out there with side-by-side comparisons.

But this still doesn't help the absolute newcomer who has absolutely no idea about the equipment.

For the unitiated it must be a minefield!!!

Yep, the big question from a newbie is, "what GPS should I buy?".

The first response can only be, "What do you plan to use it for?".

It would be nice to have a lecture(for lack of a better word), explaining what GPSs would best fit each cacher's preferences and price range, but I think that would probably be best to be listed on someone's personal webpage.

Why don't you start one up?

I did an awful lot of research on my own, looking at websites, and going to countless places to look at GPSr's and holding them and getting people at the stores to demonstate them. At one place, I was given a Garmin brochure which was quite helpful in deciding about my wants among various features. I started out wanting to spend $100, and as I studied, the price went up to where we said, "What the heck, let's get color!". Then I found a good price on the web. My advice is not to just look here, altho the experience can't be beat, but research, research, research on your own. Look at them, hold them, study them, cuz they are complex and fun little toys!