Isle Of Wight Trip - Spare Car Seat.

Seasider

In a few weeks I hope (50/50) to be heading to the south coast for the first week of my two week "Southern Storm" cache tour (the second week being near the M4 corridor in The Wombles & Leoness country). :blink:

I wasn't going to include the Isle of Wight on my itinerary due to a misperceived high cost of travel. However, it has been pointed out that the ferry can be as cheap as £30 for a car and passengers (if I'm lucky enough to get a cheap ticket) and that at weekends the travel times are unrestricted!! <_<

Therefore, the Island is definitely on my list and I will have room in the car for someonelse! :lol:

There are 12 caches available on the Island in winter (Lord Palmerson being the exception) of which 5 are part of the Vectis series and another two are puzzle multi caches. On the face of it during the darkest month of the year it's not possible to do them all in a day. However, as per my Manx Mission, I have a plan! :blink::lol:

I hope to be going across on either Sat 4th or Sun 5th of December and leaving port about 7am. Anyone up for a free passage in my car?! :D

You must be reasonably fit, not mind caching all day long with only a short butty break or two (we can have a couple of pints after!!), be ok with the possibility of caching in the dark, be fairly open ended with return time...and... non smoker preferred! My car ain't got much room in the back or huge amounts of horsepower so there is room for one in the front unless the back passengers are CT&J or John Stead size!! :blink::mad:

Cheers!

Seasider

I hope to be going across on either Sat 4th or Sun 5th of December and leaving port about 7am. Anyone up for a free passage in my car?! :huh:

You must be reasonably fit, not mind caching all day long with only a short butty break or two (we can have a couple of pints after!!), be ok with the possibility of caching in the dark, be fairly open ended with return time...and... non smoker preferred! My car ain't got much room in the back or huge amounts of horsepower so there is room for one in the front unless the back passengers are CT&J or John Stead size!! :lol:;)

Cheers!

Seasider

Hey John stead , this looks like a personal invite for us three :lol::unsure::unsure:

There are 12 caches available on the Island in winter (Lord Palmerston being the exception) of which 5 are part of the Vectis series and another two are puzzle multi caches. On the face of it during the darkest month of the year it's not possible to do them all in a day.

It took me and me fellow Grockles three days to do all 13. The Vectis Series and Bonchurch Landslip we did in one day (daylight hours only :unsure: ) in 2003 then we went back for a weekend this Summer to do the rest.

We did Diamond Isle, Pepperpot, Lungbuster and the Longstone on the Saturday and Lord Palmerston, the Ledge and Anti-Clockwise on the Sunday. As I remember, that was three hard days caching. I don't believe even the mighty Seasider could do all 13 in one day :unsure:

There are 12 caches available on the Island in winter (Lord Palmerston being the exception) of which 5 are part of the Vectis series and another two are puzzle multi caches. On the face of it during the darkest month of the year it's not possible to do them all in a day.

It took me and me fellow Grockles three days to do all 13. The Vectis Series and Bonchurch Landslip we did in one day (daylight hours only :unsure: ) in 2003 then we went back for a weekend this Summer to do the rest.

We did Diamond Isle, Pepperpot, Lungbuster and the Longstone on the Saturday and Lord Palmerston, the Ledge and Anti-Clockwise on the Sunday. As I remember, that was three hard days caching. I don't believe even the mighty Seasider could do all 13 in one day :lol:

We have a plan with a few shortcuts! :unsure::lol:

Cheers!

Seasider

It took me and me fellow Grockles three days to do all 13. The Vectis Series and Bonchurch Landslip we did in one day (daylight hours only :P ) in 2003 then we went back for a weekend this Summer to do the rest.

We did Diamond Isle, Pepperpot, Lungbuster and the Longstone on the Saturday and Lord Palmerston, the Ledge and Anti-Clockwise on the Sunday. As I remember, that was three hard days caching. I don't believe even the mighty Seasider could do all 13 in one day :D

We have a plan with a few shortcuts! :P:P

Cheers!

Seasider

There are no shortcuts for Diamond Isle ( a real bu**er) or Anti-clockwise and the Vectis series take you to something like 22 seperate locations........ Have fun!!! :P:lol:

I don't believe even the mighty Seasider could do all 13 in one day :lol:

Having seen some of Seasider's game plan..... I'm going to hedge my bets a little.

With a lot of luck the man might just do it :P but there's still a lot of walking to do and it's highly likely that he'll run out of daylight before he finishes.

Good luck to you.....

And dont forget, we now have another challenge in Skipton for you when you return:

My own 'Skipt 'un Scramble' (6 caches) and Yorkstans 'International Dialing' (7 caches) plus the bonus cache 'Embsay Steam Railway' !

All in the vercinity of Skipton, with quite a bit of hill climbing.

That should be a good challenge... 14 in one day in winter conditions, with darkness falling at 4pm 'ish...

Anyway good luck with IOW, and say Hi to Leoness for me.

I too might be in the area, so would be tempted to go for a pint. My best friend lives on the island and I plan to visit him soon.

I dont know if the opening is seasonal but I know the Wightmouse is just a little way down the road from the Pepperpot cache and they had a fairly reasonable selection of real ales etc last time I was in there.

I don't believe even the mighty Seasider could do all 13 in one day  :huh:

Having seen some of Seasider's game plan..... I'm going to hedge my bets a little.

With a lot of luck the man might just do it :blink: but there's still a lot of walking to do and it's highly likely that he'll run out of daylight before he finishes.

If Seasider spends as much time in the pub as we did then he probably won't succeed :blink:

I dont know if the opening is seasonal but I know the Wightmouse is just a little way down the road from the Pepperpot cache and they had a fairly reasonable selection of real ales etc last time I was in there.

The Wight Mouse is still going strong adrianjohn, although it will look a whole lot different inside if you've not ventured in for quite a few months.

It's still open all day though, as is the Sun Inn at Hulverstone - very handy after doing The Longstone cache - tried, tested and recommended!

I too might be in the area, so would be tempted to go for a pint. My best friend lives on the island and I plan to visit him soon.

Certainly up for a pint or two with you and The 'Goose!! :lol:

I am down on the south coast as part of "Operation Southern Storm" from Friday 3rd to Thurs 10th Dec.

"Operation Island Storm" is pencilled in for Sunday 5th Dec - but only because I thought my arrival day in the cottage would be Sat. As I am now taking the keys on Fri it means that Sat is now free. I plan to finalise bookings by mid week so if we can decide on a day I'll book accordingly!

The Prince of Darkness has heard about my driving skills :lol: and has kindly offered to drive so it's up to Paul if we can take any more passengers!! :mad:

I can e-mail you my plan :lol: if you like so you can decide whether to come with us!! :huh:

Cheers!

Seasider

What do you get when you cross GBs "I'm not a numbers man" with the Prince of Darkness?

Plenty of sucking of teeth at Seasiders claim of hitting all IOW caches in 24hrs. Well after a very successful planning meeting on Friday (and before the beer began to flow)..... John might have the highest cache tally in GB but on this one he appears to have set his sights too low! Targets are up and the cachemobile is aimed and ready..... we are going for the trigs as well - ALL in 24hrs!

Watch this space!

John, don't forget these!

What do you get when you cross GBs "I'm not a numbers man" with the Prince of Darkness?

Plenty of sucking of teeth at Seasiders claim of hitting all IOW caches in 24hrs. Well after a very successful planning meeting on Friday (and before the beer began to flow)..... John might have the highest cache tally in GB but on this one he appears to have set his sights too low! Targets are up and the cachemobile is aimed and ready..... we are going for the trigs as well - ALL in 24hrs!

Watch this space!

Did I agree to that?! :laughing::rolleyes::anicute::yikes:

Ah!... yes I remember now.....it seemed like a good idea after 7 hours of beer!! 8_9_6.gif10_7_6.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

Watch this space!

Did I agree to that?! :huh::laughing::o;)

Ah!... yes I remember now.....it seemed like a good idea after 7 hours of beer!! 8_9_6.gif10_7_6.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

Yeah.... you can do 'em all ................ all 30 of of 'em :ph34r::lol::huh: