Your Thoughts On A Pda ..please

GeoGordie

Hi All,

OK, here is the story ... a guy at work (sorry for the four letter word) has a PDA for sale @ $125.00. Dell AXIM X5 Intel Xscale 400MHz Ram, 64MB Rom 48MB. Leather case and the usual doo-dads that go with it ... CD .. USB cable .. extra expansion memory card (I think). Color / Windows based .. as I am NOTa PDA geek/guru ..

I plan on using a PDA for out in the woods cache hunting with important stuff loaded, you know, waypoints and other info needed to find that cache !! Download Pocket Q's, etc.

Is this machine a OVER KILL for what I really want to do .. I know I have seen Palm with 8 MB going for a LOT less. Just curious as to ... am I passing up the Deal Of The Year here if I say no ???

I know a bunch of you guys and gals are using this type of logging cache info .. paperless if you like.....

Thoughts please.

GeoGordie

As an Axim X5 owner I feel complelled to support the choice of this handheld for caching.

I keep mine on my belt almost all the time and have it fully loaded with software for caching and still have plenty of room for all of my other stuff that I want to put on it to keep me organized. The memory is only limited to the cards you insert in the SD and CF slots, and it works almost seamlessly with any MS products.

I use Mapopolis to help guide me to cache spots, and with the free maplets software I can even get pushpins identifying the locations of all caches within a pocket query file. By adding GPXSonar I can read cache descriptions as web pages in the field, and I don't even have to convert the GPX files to do so. I can also make notes for my logs in the filed and upload everything to my PC when I get home.

The handheld is heavier than others, but isn't unmanageable. I'd hate to go caching without it any more. Unless, of course, I could snag my wife's Axim X3 to replace it.

If you don't want to take advantage of this deal, would he be willing to sell it to me as a spare? <_<

It's a good choice for paperless caching, but don't limit it to just caching duty. You'll be impressed with all that these units can store, sort, manage and do for you.

I am NOT employed by Dell, nor have I used Palm products for paperless caching, so my review is definitely biased. But I'm happy with my X5.

S-4-C

I use Mapopolis to help guide me to cache spots, and with the free maplets software I can even get pushpins identifying the locations of all caches within a pocket query file.  By adding GPXSonar I can read cache descriptions as web pages in the field, and I don't even have to convert the GPX files to do so.  I can also make notes for my logs in the filed and upload everything to my PC when I get home.

I have the same setup as S-4-C stated. I have three other geocachers accomplices who have the exact same setup as I do. We love ours. You didn't state in your question if the DELL had a compact flash GPS card or such. If you use a gps card ( I use a Holux) with the Axim, then you don't have to carry along another gps, except maybe for a backup. This sounds like a good deal especially since DELL started offering the PPC2003 operating system upgrade again a few days ago.

My other two cents worth is to protect your investment and purchase this bag below to keep it in, when out in the elements. It also floats if dropped in water. This bag has saved our PDA's several times from scratches, dirt, and water, etc.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...duct_id=2553355

I don't think you can go wrong with this Axim. It makes for easy paperless caching.

LSUFan

Edited by LSUFan