Cache Saturated Locations

splicingdan

So my question is:

Since there seems to be agreement that there is cache saturation around Northern New Jersey how do we remedy that? (and asking Brian to archive all of his isn't an option!!! biggrin.gif )

Any ideas?

Natural selection.

An ill-conceived cache will run its course much quicker than a well executed one.

So my question is:

Since there seems to be agreement that there is cache saturation around Northern New Jersey how do we remedy that? (and asking Brian to archive all of his isn't an option!!! :yikes: )

Any ideas?

Create series caches that utilize urban parks to their maximum capacity, then when we run out of room in the park, make the last in the series double back on itself?

Use a cacher to attract excessive police attention to caches in the vicinity of homeland security targets, thereby allowing the police to decide which caches to detonate...I mean remove?

Redefine the meaning of saturated?

Harriman State Park - 52,000 acres - about 110 caches = 472 acres per cache

472 Acres equals 0.7375 Square miles

Saturation? I don't know, that seems like a lot of land per cache.

I guess this depends on how you define saturation.

i.e. What would you say is the distance from a trail that a normal cache is hidden? 100 feet maybe?

Let's just say 100 feet.

Harriman has 200± miles of marked trails.

Now, 200 miles x 5280 feet = 1,056,00 feet of marked trails.

So, this times a 200 foot swath (that's our arbitrary 100 feet-from-trail number) and you get 211,200,000 square feet.

That divided by 43,560 (an acre) and you get 4,848 acres.

Divide that by 110 (caches in the park) and you get 44.

44 acres per cache. Doesn't sound like much to me.

Now of course some of the caches may be along unmarked trails and all, but I'll leave this information open to comment. No flaming please! I'm not trying to be critical. Only trying to help in analysis. :laughing:

There are many caches in both Harriman, and the Hudson Highlands in general, that can't be quantified in that way. The hikes in are long and tough to get to a cache. That's what makes the area SO satisfying to cache in. I'm planning a trip to the Highlands soon, not to go for a lot of caches, but to just enjoy the terrain and the views.

Most of these suburban parks should have one at the most... and before SplicingDan and BM2 go spouting off about the cache Missions... 1-5 are all in DIFFERENT PARKS!!!

Hehe.

Actually, I think that you utilized those parks quite well. There's not much worthwhile to see in them so a traditional cache would be a waste.

However, a puzzle cache/series does not need the scenery to be fun.

Hmmm... gotta love driving around and scooping up every 1.5 / 1.5 cache in the area. Are there any new puzzles or epic caches out there?

Have you completed GeoKender's Scrat's Stash 1 and Scrat's Stash II? I'm not sure about epic but they are challenging and will give you more of a run for your money than your typical 1.5/1.5 in north jersey. They both use the Saddle River County Park system.

Hmmm... gotta love driving around and scooping up every 1.5 / 1.5 cache in the area. Are there any new puzzles or epic caches out there?

Have you completed GeoKender's Scrat's Stash 1 and Scrat's Stash II? I'm not sure about epic but they are challenging and will give you more of a run for your money than your typical 1.5/1.5 in north jersey. They both use the Saddle River County Park system.

Thanks for the plug! :blink:

(how much did we agree to?)

Avroair:I placed a cache yesterday in Wayne , awaiting approval that is offset from There Was a Babbling Brook, both are Suburban Park PuzzlesThere was a Babbling Brook, Thus far only a few good cachers have visited Babbling Brook :blink: and none of them have done it in one shot. They do the first stage and then have to go home and study the maps, to figure out how to get to stage 2. Oh, I know they would say differently, but that is my take. :blink:

I think there are about 10 more of this type of park in this town alone. So I think looking for hidden parks may be a factor, to keep it interesting. I frequently only have a 2 hour window or a lunch hour to "go for a walk". I am sure others fall into same category.

Edited by Packanack
  Because I am holding the other Little Green Alien

Dogtags are coming to me in the mail.

Have you completed GeoKender's Scrat's Stash 1 and Scrat's Stash II

Nope, but I've walked thru the entire park system to do Bergen County Parks. Wish I still had a bike.

Look for the 10762th cache to be placed in NJ soon. :rolleyes:

Edit: removed unnecessary verbage.

Edited by avroair

I don't see any Avroair logs for:

Return to Rocky Mtn.

The Ironman

Hasenclever Iron

Centurion

Osio Rock Ramble

Terrace Pond

Wildcat Ridge

ManEater

Pinwheel Vista

Middle a' Nowhere

Graffiti Rock Ramble

Davidson Cache

Windbeam's Windfall

Lake Sonoma

GC5

While not new and not necessarily "epic" caches, all are a far cry from the run of the mill 1.5/1.5s.

Edited by briansnat

They are mostly 30-35 miles from my house. So I guess you could call them epic... I don't have a permit for most of these.

I don't see any Avroair logs

Edit: I don't log my finds anymore, I just touch them with a stick. :rolleyes::D

Edited by avroair
They are mostly 30-35 miles from my house. So I guess you could call them epic... I don't have a permit for most of these.

Edit: I don't log my finds anymore, I just touch them with a stick. :rolleyes::D

Only Middle a' Nowhere requires a permit (easy enough to get).

Only Middle a' Nowhere requires a permit (easy enough to get).

Graffitti Rock ramble requires a fairly lengthy hike considering there are no pubs along the way!

They are mostly 30-35 miles from my house. So I guess you could call them epic...

Hmm... That hasn't stopped us from finding, or working on a lot of Avroair's caches. From Bryant Park Micro to Verona Park (oops, that one was muggled before I searched for it.) Save April 10th for the Dolphin-Bear Team to finally eradicate Five Star New York from our list!!!!!

Come visit beautiful NWNJ! Terrace Pond is a spectacular place (and a rather nice cache). (Okay, I'm particularly fond of that one because it's just off the trail that I maintain, oh, and because it was my first find.)

The Dolphin-Bear Team also has two very nice caches in the NWCDC (you would either need a permit, or go with someone who has one.) (Though you could probably fake Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? Since almost all of the hike (and the parking) is in Farny State Park. Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotteburg is definitely NWCDC. Andy Bear and I would be delighted to accompany you (After we log Five Star New York!!) :rolleyes:

Heck, we were in Queens, and Ward's Island this weekend caching. What's mileage?

love driving around and scooping up every 1.5 / 1.5 cache in the area]

Which leads to the question, does anyone have a list of caches like that. The easiest ones to do. Veterans Point, I had to walk 10 feet, I think I will go t the rest area on the Parkway and find that one, might have to walk 10 feet, Preferably ones where you don't even have to leave the car, like Rt. 23 Art Gallery. Hey its all part of the game. :rolleyes:

Edited by Packanack

Saturation is too may cars while looking for a parking spot in Manhattan.

I don't understand how you can call anything cache saturation when you have to hike a while to get there, not be able to see it and then have to spend what 10-20 minutes searching before actually finding it.

Hmmm. Actually that does sound a lot like looking for a parking spot in Manhattan.

As far as inactive caches or those you wnt to get rid of but don't want to hike to get it out of there: Put a note on your cache page and incite the next cacher to find it, take your container and be the last finder. Then archive it.