Armchair Caching

AtoZ

I have found two caches so far that for lack of a better term I'll call Armchair caches. They are caches that require no field work but anywhere from some net-search to just playing a caching video game. I was wondering if there are any other simular caches to do when the wolves are howling and the snow is on the ground.

cheers

I think those have also been called 'couch potato' caches, and yes, there probably are few similar caches listed here (dunno where, though). In my opinion, they are not geocaches and they shouldn't be listed in a geocaching site. Sure, they can be creative and fun to solve, but I guess there are different sites for that kind of pastime. I'm sure many disagree. :)

Snow on the ground makes the geocache hunt fun! :D

There are a handful of the kind that don't require that you leave your house. They aren't allowed anymore, but the old ones are "grandfathered". There are also numerous virtuals that can be "found" with a little Internet research. Since the point of a virtual cache is for the person to go there and see it, this practice is considered unscrupulous by most.

This being said, here are two that I can think of that you are supposed to do from the comfort of your living room:

Radio KAOS

Four Windows

Edited by briansnat

There's a number of "Couch Potato" (as I call them) caches that I have tried. Most seem to be created by Germans...here are a few of the good ones:

SpyCam You control a web cam on this one...my personal favourite

Four Windows

Harte Nuss

Harte Nuss II - Das fleissige Eichhorn

Harte Nuss III - Das faule Eichhorn

And you can also find several of them here too:

More Couch Potato caches

There are also numerous virtuals that can be "found" with a little Internet research.  Since the point of a virtual cache is for the person to go there and see it, this practice is considered unscrupulous by most.

Ya know I have been wondering about this. I am new here, but I have come across some "virtuals" that ask for info from some unique and unusual historical places in my area. I wouldn't have to do any "internet searches" to find the answers, just go back through my own personal photos. And I mean these are ones that do not ask for a photo of my GPSr with anything special, just sort of a "what is the answer to X?" and you get a log. I've only had my GPSr for a week but but I could easily log quite a few of these and I don't reckon anyone would know I didn't visit them this past week. I suppose that is cheating...or is it? I mean I have actually been to these places, just not using my GPSr.

What do ya think??? :):D

:)

Starry, Starry Night, which I mentioned earlier, does compel the finder to exercise

some mapping skills, and mapping skills are geocaching skills. I logged it as a find.

But KAOS, which I just did on the Internet, is only a reading exercise.

It would be nifty to add a cache in Austrailia to my Found It list, but when my solution is confirmed, we will post only a note so it is not added to my caches-found roster.

Like much of what I have discovered about geocaching in the few months we have been doing it, it's pretty much a matter of what each individual is trying to get out of this game/sport/hobby, and the individual comfort level.

Starry, Starry Night took some time and some mapping skills, so I logged it as a find.

KAOS was only a reading excercise, so I will not.

I'm comfortable with that.

Boy that was interesting. I did Starry starry Night and it was fun, took some efforta and basic nav skills. Other then that most the one mentioned seem to ge in German so maybe it is a German thing. Thanks all for the replys and now I'll pull the hole in after me and well cry.

cheers

i only armchair cache in the off chance that the puzzle is badly done (as are a few nearby) or if the group doing them are particularily crap( I know of a group who dont maintain their caches so theyre always horrid to find)

Really?

You opened a ten+ year old thread to say you cheat (armchair cache) once in awhile?

:laughing:

i only armchair cache in the off chance that the puzzle is badly done (as are a few nearby) or if the group doing them are particularily crap( I know of a group who dont maintain their caches so theyre always horrid to find)

Really?

You opened a ten+ year old thread to say you cheat (armchair cache) once in awhile?

I don't think it's "once in a while". Based on their description of their armchair logging practices, and looking at their recent finds and their "Tftc" logs, it looks like they do it regularly. In fact, it looks like they armchair logged as many as 10 puzzle caches yesterday alone, and possibly a number of multis and traditionals too.

...but at least they've decided to be honest and own up to it in public, so maybe some of the COs of caches they've armchaired will see their public admission here and delete their logs.

Really?

:drama:

Really?

Confession is good for the soul.

Nothing wrong with that. :ph34r:

I learned to spell while being an armchair student. <_<