Safe Caches To Do Alone?

As I have recently been made redundant from my job, I can't help thinking that I should be out there caching and be making the most of this time before I get stuck in another 9-5 with a two hour commute..... shame about the weather but hey you can't have everything :lol:

However, it's probably not a good idea to go wandering around in woodland etc caching as a lone female, so I was wondering where there are some safe caches to do. I did two on my own in the centre of Bath last week and found it to be really quite exciting and I enjoyed doing them in between shopping :lol:

I thought you guys might have a good idea of those that are town based or 'toursit attraction' based that would be suitable. I guess as well this will improve my micro hunting skills :lol:

Any ideas?

We need to know what area you want to cache in, as I could suggest places in Edinburgh, but if you live in Bath, which going by what you have said you do, then Edinburgh would be no good to you.

I can't see why being a female will stop you from going into the woods. I'm a firm believer that if you are going to get attacked you will get attacked, never mind where you are, and you shouldn't live in the world of what if's??

Going into the woods at night is a different matter though.

If it is safety on an accident basis then leave details of where you are going, that way if you are longer than you should be help will get sent out.

I, too, am female and do most of my caching alone (but usually with the dog).

I see from your profile that you're not a million miles away from me in Chippenham (I'm near Swindon) and have done "Endeavour to Communicate" which I've given up on for the time being (long story!). Maybe you could provide me with a few hints!!! :D

I assume you've done all the caches around Chippenham (which I have pencilled in to do next month) but may not have done the caches on the Ridgeway i.e. Uffington White Horse, Waylands Smithy, White Horse - Black Smith to name a few. The Ridgeway is a very popular area for dog walkers, hikers and the like.

Generally, I feel safe caching alone if...

it's daylight

it's a popular/touristy area

I have the dog with me

I have my mobile 'phone with me

I am aware of others around me

Hubby knows what time I'm expected back or will text me to check that I'm OK

If I don't like the look or feel of an area, I will leave it until hubby can come with me. :lol:

I appreciate that your question was about caching alone and understand that this may be your preference. If you want to meet up sometime and do some caching together, then email me via the website. I have been out caching with Harrogate Hunter, Sleepless42 and Seasider who can all vouch that I am sane (well... I hope they would!!!) :lol::lol::D

If you prefer caching in towns / cities then London offers the best option from here. There is a good choice there and you can get in some Christmas shopping.

There are a number of caches in country parks which have several people around although I know you've done many of those.

Teaming up with another cacher would be another good solution although by definition it may be hard to find a sane cacher :lol:

Teaming up with another cacher would be another good solution although by definition it may be hard to find a sane cacher

hhmmm maybe I'm not so sane either though?!

Might take you up on that offer though Leoness. I agree with everything you listed - only I have no dog. The cats are more interested in sleeping all day not that they would understand the point of walkies.....

I can of course use this opportunity to place some caches of my own.....now that's got me thinking....

As another lone female cacher, I don't really worry about being attacked, but I do worry about being out in the wilds and breaking a leg or something. Mobile phone coverage in the Scottish countryside is not brilliant. So, for remote caches it's advisable to have some company (hence our Scottish Geocachers' Days Out!), but otherwise I enjoy my solo jaunts.

I have done some caches as dusk is falling and even one or two in the dark, but I have not really enjoyed that experience, so I'm going to stick to daylight caching.

:D I often cache alone as Martin works away. The caches I chose to do are 1. Not miles from civilization

2. The urban ones that he hates

3. Within cellphone coverage (if no signal than no me)

4. Usually done with the dog (If she can be off lead)

5. Not necessarily exciting but within my limitations

I would like to venture out more but physical limitations restrict what I should do alone. I have done a couple that I should never have attempted and had many worries whilst doing them. It is good to let someone know where you are going and when you should be home by but when you are alone it is very hard to do. I have recently added a personal alarm to my caching bag in case of troubles.

Lynn

most of my caches have been done alone and I carry a big walking stick. on a side note, i read recently that a woman was attacked at rudyard lake - so i wouldn't go visit the micro cache hidden there.

She was picked up else where and driven to the carpark at 2.00am see here for more info

I did think of taking the cache off line, and may still do so.

at the end of the day the safest places can be dangerous if a nutter is there. it all involves being sensible and observant. let people know where you are, keep a look out for anything you're not happy with. if in doubt walk away.

no need to be paranoid because 95% of the time nothing to worry about. don't look or act like a victim and chances are you won't be one.

learn a bit of self defence. the main bit being hit hard and then run like the clappers shouting "fire, fire" people will come to see the fire but will ignore "help" !

Typically, as soon as the thought of caching enters my head (just like going to the job centre to sign on) I get offered a job. Starts Monday!

It's only a short contract, so I'll have to postpone caching until nearer Christmas. Lots of good advice here - thanks everyone. I guess it's all about being sensible and confident about what you're doing.

Now.....just need pocket queries for caches in Reading hehe..... :P

I too am a single female cacher. I have done about 2/3 of my total all by myself. Like most things in life, you should use your common sense as to the risk involved, and if appropriate, use discretion. I have only felt worried once when I was doing the Kennet and Avon canal series and there was a weird bloke hanging about. He did just not look like a walker or typical towpath user. I hung around taking pictures until he was a fair way off and then walked back with my mobile in my hand until there were more people about and I felt safer. He was probably perfectly harmless, but there is no point in not taking precautions.

Over the last couple of days I have been in Sheffield and I was intending to do Woolley Rail, but it was dark when I could get to it, and I just did not fancy a 500 yard walk up a completely black and unlit footpath in an sparsely populated area punctuated with scrap yards, gasworks and demolition sites. In the daylight, no probs, but I just did not think that it would be my cleverest idea to venture in alone this time. I like finding caches.... make that I LIKE finding caches, but I don't think it's worth taking reckless risks (or what you may perceive to be reckless risks) just for another find.

BTW, the cache mentioned above may be just fine, this is NOT a criticism of it at all, but just my perception of the risk in an area I don't know and after dark.

I am going to do some local Newcastle caches over the next couple of days, located in a park in which I was flashed at and approached by various weirdos when I was a slip of a lass, but because I know the area like the back of my hand, I don't feel any trepidation at all.

To sum it all up in one sentance - don't take any risks because you think your fears are 'silly' because often your '6th sense' is a very good indicator. Apart from that, use your common sense. Caching is no different from walking home afer dark, etc.

I'm working my way round the Newcastle caches at the moment, all at night as Iwork up here and live in sunny West Yorkshire. Quite a few qould be absolutly fine at any sensible time of day.

Mary Ann Marshall and Tynemouth trail are nice virtuals in busy areas for example.

Oh the other hand, Jarrow Bridge and St. Pauls; even I didn't do this there were several cars containing undesirables in the nearest car park.

I have been out caching with Harrogate Hunter, Sleepless42 and Seasider who can all vouch that I am sane (well... I hope they would!!!)

Yep can do.... now am I quoting that I have been

(1) out caching with Leoness or

(2) She is sane !

Confusing ! :P:D:D:D

Well... if you can't vouch that I'm sane, that means you've chosen to go out caching with someone who is insane?!!! :P:P:P:lol:

I'm the female half of us. and often walk alone in the countryside ,but I wouldn't go alone to a town centre multi storey car park ,town centre outside public conveiniences ,closed in lifts or quiet public footpaths hemmed in by fences or buildings ,urban or inner city.(I may or not follow a countryside hemmed in path depending on what "vibes "I feel on the day at the location ).

Not very happy using an underpasses unless plenty of people about .(who is lurking around the other end?)

I don't have long hair (easy to grab at by attacker )I carry a walking stick (legal and apparently viewed as a potental defense implement .)

Someone interviewed convicted rappists in America for info on what rappists look for in a potential victim.Seems they will often look for someone who looks nervous or an easy target ..e.g.Long hair easy to grab at ,clothes easy to rip off ,someone who is preoccupied (using mobile phone )

So now if I do see a male walking towards me I don't detour ( apparently implies I'm imtimidated by seeing someone approaching and that I could be an easy target). I pretend to be confident and always say hello when we pass .(aparently that implies I'm confident )

I sometimes feel normal men are more nervous passing a lone female than I am of them.They tend to stare straight ahead ,are they fearful ,perhaps ,of being acused of anything ?. Somtimes they look quite releeved when I speak "hello ,nice day isn't it ? "Before reading the report about rappists I would not have spoken ,thinking it was the wrong thing to do .

When I,m with my husband walking in the country we nearly always exchange "hellos" when passing walkers ,it's the natural thing to do .

Always carry my mobile phone ,but not much use really in valleys etc for a broken ankle and cant see any use for it in preventing being attacked !

Edited by That s all Folks

How about the geographical centre of wales ..............only joking, that is about the remotest cache I have ever been to not a soul within 5 miles!!

saxon church which is near you is excellent and a real surprise, Down under friend remembered very thought provoking, my own cache no more bacon butties, a real cache and dash, and if you fancy coming down my way a bit, luminous motion and a sign of the times in winchester.