Do You Ever Think About Hanging Up The Gps

Deego

I know most people must go through it. But I have been finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to get out there and cache. Over the last few months the only time I have enjoyed it, was caching with others (you know who you are and thanks). But now feel its time to take a break, however I fear it will be the end of my caching days if I do, as I have a bad habit of never going back to things I leave.

Thought caching really fitted my life. I love photography, walking and gadgets, so it was nice to combine them altogether. I even enjoy writing the logs. But don’t know how you big number cachers keep motivated. So HELP, my addiction is failing :lol: :lol:

So what I want to know is, anybody else been through this? And how did you resolve it? (If it can be resolved!) do I need a new twist?

I know most people must go through it. But I have been finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to get out there and cache. Over the last few months the only time I have enjoyed it, was caching with others (you know who you are and thanks). But now feel its time to take a break, however I fear it will be the end of my caching days if I do, as I have a bad habit of never going back to things I leave.

Thought caching really fitted my life. I love photography, walking and gadgets, so it was nice to combine them altogether. I even enjoy writing the logs. But don’t know how you big number cachers keep motivated. So HELP, my addiction is failing :lol: :lol:

So what I want to know is, anybody else been through this? And how did you resolve it? (If it can be resolved!) do I need a new twist?

You're not alone in that, Deego. I felt very 'jaded' about caching around the 300-400 mark. I did manage to clamber over the wall and re-kindle my enthusiasm. However, just lately my enthusiasm is again starting to wain. My last months entry for the COTM would seem to make a lie of that but truthfully, 36 of my 41 finds for the month were found over a single weekend caching with two good mates. Of the other 5, two were found along the tow-path whilst out for the weekend on a narrow boat and the other three on a single trip (and only caching trip I made on my own) right at the end of the month.

At the moment, I'm well into the final stages of sorting out what will probably be the last cache I place (See other thread for reasons). When that's all done and dusted, I'll probably take a break from geocaching, except for caching weekends with 'The Grockles'... It's been far too long since I've been out on a pike fishing expedition and Loch Awe is calling :lol:

Forget about trying to motivate yourself, at least for a while.

When it becomes more of an effort than enjoyment, I just get everything ready to go caching and then just wait for the opportunity to present itself. If I happen to take a trip somewhere maybe I’ll have time to cache, maybe I won’t. There’s no pressure to try and fit it in. When I do have a chance to go caching, all the prep work's done and I can just go. It’s like a little reward that I can choose to take or leave without guilt.

I can make a more concentrated effort whenever I actually have the urge to go on a caching binge. I know I can always fall back on the more casual approach without giving it up entirely.

Good Luck.

Edited by 11 After

I would say give it a rest for a few weeks, the weather is no help and at this time of year many people lose motivation for all sorts of things, not just geocaching.

What I would suggest would be the following:

Plan a trip away early next year - as early as February - and geocache somewhere you haven't been yet.

Speak to cachers in your area of the country and get recommendations for geocaches that stand out from others. Then try those.

Set a challenge - for example, there are caches on the highest peaks in Britain and Ireland.

Like most things in life, striking a happy balance is a good way to go about things. :lol:

Establish your priorities and the things you enjoy doing and then make time to do some of each. That way, you schedule the time to do all the things which NEED to be done and you also get time to enjoy the things you WANT to do. Nothing gets left unfinished, nothing gets put to the "back burner" at the expense of something else and nothing gets done to excess, risking the possibility of "burn out". :lol:

Caching is one of those past-times which you can pick up and put down for periods of time. I am sure most cachers' statistics go down in the winter months when the days are shorter and the weather is colder and wetter. :lol:

Thought caching really fitted my life. I love photography, walking and gadgets, so it was nice to combine them altogether. I even enjoy writing the logs.  But don’t know how you big number cachers keep motivated.  So HELP, my addiction is failing :lol::D

You're not alone in that, Deego. I felt very 'jaded' about caching around the 300-400 mark. I did manage to clamber over the wall and re-kindle my enthusiasm. However, just lately my enthusiasm is again starting to wain. My last months entry for the COTM would seem to make a lie of that but truthfully, 36 of my 41 finds for the month were found over a single weekend caching with two good mates. Of the other 5, two were found along the tow-path whilst out for the weekend on a narrow boat and the other three on a single trip (and only caching trip I made on my own) right at the end of the month.

At the moment, I'm well into the final stages of sorting out what will probably be the last cache I place (See other thread for reasons). When that's all done and dusted, I'll probably take a break from geocaching, except for caching weekends with 'The Grockles'... It's been far too long since I've been out on a pike fishing expedition and Loch Awe is calling :D

Aw come on guys, I feel like we need a Geocaching Samaritans line after reading your emails :lol::lol: .

Mark and I have fits and starts, we cache and we then we don't cache. Just do what you want to when you want to. Throw the numbers out of the window. Keep your geocaching bags packed and ready. Who knows Tomorrow is another day and Don't forget summer is just around the corner :D:D:)

Chin up Guys - So you are not caching this month, next month the month after who cares if you are the top or bottom of the leaque table just enter for fun.

Mark & I would really miss you both if you gave in and gave up :lol:

Joan

I guess we have slowed down a bit. Life seems too busy, and the caches keep getting further away.

However, we did have a week away in South Wales and went out caching 5 of the 7 days. Tried to make sure it was a worthwhile walk that happened to have a cache on the way.

I think people need to reflect once in a while what they enjoy about the game and bit a bit selective. I'm fed up with urban micros and virtuals.

Also, it's a bit solitary. Caching with others, especially newbies, has been good fun.

Perhaps you are a bit burned out with the work that has been going on at GCUK. I got like that at work having spent many weeks getting a video conference service up and running and then getting little feedback about it.

I think I know what you mean. I am feeling like taking a break too, especially after a particularly busy caching month in October. And there are plenty of things at home that I have rather neglected. However, just at the moment, there are a lot of excellent new caches appearing within fairly easy reach of home, and each time that happens, my enthusiasm is rekindled.

However, what I recommend for any jaded English cachers is a trip over the border to sample some unbeatable scenery and well stocked caches.

BTW - sorry to digress - Ive been meaning to ask for ages how to get the quote copied to appear with its author at the top of it?

Edited by Firth of Forth

I think I know what you mean. I am feeling like taking a break too, especially after a particularly busy caching month in October. And there are plenty of things at home that I have rather neglected. However, just at the moment, there are a lot of excellent new caches appearing within fairly easy reach of home, and each time that happens, my enthusiasm is rekindled.

However, what I recommend for any jaded English cachers is a trip over the border to sample some unbeatable scenery and well stocked caches.

BTW - sorry to digress - Ive been meaning to ask for ages how to get the quote copied to appear with its author at the top of it?

Hit the "QUOTE" button at the top right hand corner of their posting :D

:D

I have only just got into this hobby, having started by accident just finding other uses of my GPS and the thing that is keeping me going is my daughter who is enthusiastic enough but will only go so far (she has a problem with her bones growing faster than her age) and when I go on these finds I have two things to consider (location,location,location!) not in an aline skirt and scarf I might add :D AND THIS FINAL THOUGHT:

But yeah I have been out on my own and sometimes thought is it worth it!!

But you know what really really makes it interesting???

The killer blow that makes it all worth while??

That moment you find the cache???

It isn't the points, the location, or the cleverness of the cache planter(soz that sounds horrid!)

It is walking away knowing that there is only a very small tiny bit of this worldwide population that knows it is there and the rest of the world doesn't!!!

AND IT IS US!!!!! :lol::lol:

Caching should be enjoyable because that's the main reason to do it. There is certainly an initial novelty value (initial can last some time) and then people may have their personal targets or objectives. These aren't necessarily about numbers, it might be fitness, recognition or something else.

The point is, your initial motivation may not sustain your interest in the longer term, but changing it may do.

After our initial interest, we played the numbers game to be the first UK cachers to 100. Then introducing the kids to caching was fun. For some time, placing caches in new places and in new ways has been entertaining. More recently, negotiating with landowners has been a challenge.

If you like caching with other people then leave it at that for the moment - other motivations may occur later.

As I have said in another thread, I have been away from geocaching for several months but have now come back. There were several reasons for my absence, mostly work-related, although I have now retired from my local government job. I work part-time from home as a website administrator and try and help my wife run our New Forest pub. I was quite obsessive about geocaching when I first started - it gets you like that - but then I just never seemed to have the time. Mainly for health reasons (I need to take a lot of exercise), I decided I had to burst back on the scene! Which I've done and am once more enjoying it. I know how you feel, though, and I almost lost interest altogether during the last year. Also, I have always cached alone - none of my family are interested - and it's a bit depressing sometimes. :D Still, my enthusiasm has returned and I'm raring for 100! (50'd be nice, too!)

Edited by LoisInTheForest

All the tricks I was going to suggest you seem to have done. I'm just having a bash at doing a few locationless & I've just gone through a phase of collecting icons.

How about collecting some marilyns or county highspots or aiming to complete an entire county.

Otherwise, don't get hung up about being on a listless phase, there will come a sunny day, with frost glistening on the ground and no recent rainfall when the yearning to walk in the woods will return.

It is walking away knowing that there is only a very small tiny bit of this worldwide population that knows it is there and the rest of the world doesn't!!!

Quite - this is why I like potholing as well. I've been to places that hardly anyone has been to.

My problem with caching is that I'm really a walker first but a cacher second. However, I've tended to base all my routes for walking of recent on visiting several geocaches and I'm running out of suitable walks as the nearby caches get bagged. Having knackered my knee recently has mad me the more eager to get out again though.

I've found more of the Peak District that I wouldn't have visited without caching though.

Edited by davester

Deego

We too have slowed down quite dramatically but continue to tick over.

Our philosophy is to always try to catch a cache when travelling to another region - but we always underestimate how long it takes!

The other change is that we used to go out for a single cache but now that they are further away we try to do more in one day. This results in the 'number game' which can become obsesive. Our latest tactic is to go out to catch a cache and really enjoy the surrounding area!

Caching with others is always good fun.

Hope this helps!

Peter

I have the same problem. After a while, there's only so much excitement to be gained from finding McToy-filled-tupperware under rocks, but you're not ready to go looking for a new hobby.

Personally, at those times, I look for something else geocaching related, but which doesn't involve tupperware. For me it's G:UK / GAGB. Geocaching has become a world of corrupted data flows, broken curl sessions, inconsistent summary tables and broken DNS zone files to be fixed.

After a while, of course, staring at php programs starts to get to you (as does the inevitable political strife that comes from being noticed - no good deed ever goes unpunished) and you find that going out to find some McToy-filled-tupperware makes a nice escape from geocaching! :D

Ah! An interesting topic that we can relate to. We think that over-indulgence is the root cause of the affliction.

Sue & I have never bothered about "the numbers", we never really understood this fixation when in one area of the country you could litereally fall over them by the bucketload whereas in others they were 20 miles apart. We've cracked just over 100 in 4 years... and I can remember something about every one of the caches we have visited. They all had some memorable point for us.

We have always used caching to take us to new areas, delighting in the little spots that others have guided us to. Our leisurely consumption of caches in East Anglia (and around other family locations) has endlessly surprised us in our own (and our families) backyard.

Generally, we find that the umpteen stage multi-caches that drag you round rarely used "secret" footpaths - preferably to secluded pubs, give us the most pleasure compared to the "5-minute-stroll-from-the-car" outing.

We recently spent a day finding 7 caches round Woodbridge during a slow trip down to visit Sue's Dad. Sue observed at the end of the day that the memories were all mixed up and, in essence, we experienced a milder form of the same "cache-fatigue" mention above.

In the end it is always whatever floats your particular boat - for us, we are gonna go back to "doing" a couple at a time, preferably involving a big cycle ride or long walk, relishing each outing on its own. That, we believe, is the key to keeping your interest fresh... moderation in all things eh?

For me, geocaching in its purest form is something of an absurd passtime. A trip out into the woods to find a tupperware or ammo box with the aid of a GPSr (which has little other use) so as to retreive a plastic toy you wouldn't normally give houseroom, doesn't capture the imagination. I imagine that for every one of us who takes up the passtime, there would be a dozen who would say "so what?".

What does it for me is the dog. She loves long country walks and the geocaching adds that bit of extra interest. For our forebears, hunting would have been the objective. For us, geocaching is the nearest we get to this.

Before geocaching, I used to go for long country walks every weekend and this is pretty much what I still do. However, what the sport has added in particular is: -

- my catchment area is much wider;

- I walk further (on average);

- I am generally more observant, especially of flora and fauna;

- I am motivated to visit a particular location... it is no longer random; and

- I do more preplanning

My advice?....get a dog!

Aisledog

I have not found this to be a problem I live in a cache sparse area and even less cachers nearby. I have been caching for a while now and my total is at 59, I really enjoy finding a new cache and visiting some really impressive places. I think that if I had 100s of caches nearby I could see how you might want to take a break, Why not try limiting your cache trips and only going for ones that look like they might be above average in location. That way you are not going to get fed up rushing out to find every new cache that appears and end up disapointed with the hobby

Thanks for all the ideas :)

I have a dog who come all the time. If I am not caching I will still be walking/hiking. (was a walker with a gps before caching). I think thats part of the problem, as I seem to spend more time driving than walking as the caches get further away. I can be in the peak district in 30-40 mins from where I live.

Think I might trying to be more selective. I dont want to just STOP. also would like to get on the hall of frame before I do :D :D

Unless somebody wants to give me a kick up the a**se . form a queue now B) B)

Edited by Deego

I too have slowed down dramatically in the last few weeks - I've had other projects that have stopped me from getting out.

But, when I have a possible chance to get out, I check for reachable unfound caches - I'm currently running at over 27% FTF sccording to GCUK...

I'm not really very competitive, because basically, I can't compete with other people at things - I'm usually pretty average at many things whilst others excel at just one or two and are way below average at everything else...

However, caching is something that I can grab the occasional record at.

I won't do many caches this month, but I did do a couple in Frankfurt, one in London and one in Maynard, MA, USA last week... :-) (Is that a record, Deego? :) )

And then, I'll keep going with caching meets. There's the one in London tomorrow, then there's one in Yorkshire and another in Wales, all before Christmas. Meeting people is always good!

So, although I'll probably only be in single figures for the next few months, when I cache, I'll be having fun!

Bob Aldridge

Hi there,

I Haven't 'cached in a while.... It maybe just I'm fed up with it, However I became board around about the time when the people at GC.com started restricting their data,... (this is another topic.... I'll Get back On to subject).

Now, when I cache I just have this nagging feeling that I'm just a cog in the GC.com business plan, rather than warm feeling of been part of a 'secret community of cachers', as it used to be. It might be also, I guess, because the sport's becoming just too popular..., or maybe it's because of the high petrol prices., or probably a combination of all three.

Either way, I'm just not as interested as I was. I suppose it's one of the reasons I didn't bother replacing my cache (Ladies in White) that got trashed a few months back.

Tony.

Just an idea Deego. If you were seriously into walking before caching, and prefer walking to driving - why not have a go at a long distance path that has a few caches on it. Probably not a good idea at this time of year but a long distance path like Coast to coast, Ridgeway, or Penine way would take a bit of planning. Who knows, you might rekindle your interest a bit when you start looking at the route maps and spot caches nearby?

Main thing is to enjoy whatever you do... Maybe after a short winters break you might feel invigorated in the spring.

I am not going to hang up my Geocaching boots, but do also feel at times it is hard to get motivated being on ones own....

Have encouraged various family and friends along but now the cooler and wetter weather is here I think it will be more difficult.

Generally I do the caches that really take my fancy rather than doing them for the sake of numbers and the biggest thrill I get from geocaching is discovering places I would never normally have found.

"Ping - lightbulb moment" - In the few mins I have been typing this and thinking about what I am putting I have realised that I really do love Geocaching - thanks for the topic as it has ignited thoughts & feelings and I will be out this weekend doing more caches ! ! ! Yipee !!

Laughalot :)

It's impossible to remain 110% comitted all the time to anything, and sometimes caching can get repetive or even seem a bit of a chore. We go for the variety aspect. So will try to do 13 in a day, or spend a whole day doing one we add a few micros in as well. We also try to vary who does the logging to make all our logs better reading as part of the challenge and leaving better swaps (TNLNTFC just won't do!). Planting some helps and our placings have moved on to puzzles etc.

But at the end of the day as they are getting farther away for you just have a break and come back refreshed.

Thought caching really fitted my life. I love photography, walking and gadgets, so it was nice to combine them altogether. I even enjoy writing the logs.  But don’t know how you big number cachers keep motivated.  So HELP, my addiction is failing :):D

There are times when I wonder "what am I doing this for" and *ease off*.

I really like to be out in the countyside (no.1 reason), solving a puzzle - where is the b****y cache! (just joking) and feeling that 99.999% of the population would never do and see places that they would never ever go!

You get out of the pastime what you want to get out of it.

I still get a buzz from finding the cache... It has to be here somewhere...

I really love the spring when the trees come out in leaf and the bluebells are excelent (a while to wait yet!).

Andy.

Edited by Subarite

Welllllllllll as an EXSPURT..

Ex as in Has been

Spurt as in drip under pressure.

Divvint worry bout it.. After the GAGB debate I scooted orft.. now.. i'm drifftin back.. Call of the cache.. the un known, the dodgy clue.. wild out doors.. ( is at this time of year) what ever.. once yer got the bug yer got the bug..

I divint worry bout what .. who .. where .. when.. divvint worry about numbers.. good job cos prolly oldes cacher with least hits :lol:

Just go where the flow takes yer..

Toodles..

Never was one fer phylosophy of the whys an wherefores eithe.. <_<

Edited by Moss Trooper

How strange.. I am back after a long rest.

A very old pal of mine back from the days when we were kids, found me via Friends unite and we have been in contact via emails. He happened to mention a few weeks ago that he had taken an interest in G/caching. I helped him with a few tips and this got the urge going in me. In the last seven days I have loged 5 caches that I have found.

I have found that there are new caches in my area (6 miles radius).

The cache bag is packed, the sheets printed and raring to go again.

Ha! It was that Mossy trooping guy that first got me interested in this caching thing.

He's the one my dear, blame him for me going out crack of the blanket and comming back muddy, bleeding, iching, and scared from scratches.  :angry:

Wasn't me.. Honest guv..

I can remember when caches were real caches.. none of this mamby pamby Hellvellan crud.. Call yer self a cacher.. come find Water of Tyne.. that sorts men from boys.. Just ask Pieman :D

Edited by Moss Trooper