Geocaching, Bombs And Little Pink Houses

sept1c_tank

There are geocaches everywhere, in all parts of the world. It seems also that much of the world is exposed to terrorism. In past months, a number of geocaches have been archived after incidents involving public bomb scares.

Every instance I have heard involves caches in the United States. Why don’t we read about the occasional cache/bomb scare in other parts of the world? Is this only a problem in the US?

Are US citizens more paranoid than Europeans, or Australians? Is it simply a math thing? There are more caches in the US than anywhere else.

What is happening to geocaching in the land of little pink houses and the home of the free? :lol: :lol:

There are geocaches everywhere, in all parts of the world. It seems also that much of the world is exposed to terrorism. In past months, a number of geocaches have been archived after incidents involving public bomb scares.

Every instance I have heard involves caches in the United States. Why don’t we read about the occasional cache/bomb scare in other parts of the world? Is this only a problem in the US?

Are US citizens more paranoid than Europeans, or Australians? Is it simply a math thing? There are more caches in the US than anywhere else.

What is happening to geocaching in the land of little pink houses and the home of the free? :lol: :lol:

Amerikans watch way too much crime television. They are conditioned to view strangers as rapists, murderer, and/or cannibals. Nevermind that Joe Sixpack is more likely to be killed on the freeway or by his fast food diet...

So no, I'm not surprised that 40 year old white guys with "detonators," er, GPSr, are being reported to the cops by over-caffeinated, paranoid, "patriotic" citizens.

-Christian

who is more afraid of his government than terrorists

That's AmeriCans, thank you, and nice stereotyping.  :lol: 

Hey, at least it was only one K. With that spelling, it's usually three. :lol:

I'd be willing to bet the only reason we don't see tons of these reports out of London is that hiders, at least right in town, wisely go with micros. After the IRA started using public trash baskets as handy explosive delivery devices, they went away. I think they even taped up the letterboxes for a while. They still go through your bag on the way into museums and such.

I started going there long before 9/11 and felt rather sad for them that they had to be so aware of the possibility of terrorism all the time. Huh!

Most of the people finding and reporting these stories are in the US, are as most of the people in the general forum... And as such get local based US centered news. How often does your local paper or news station report about bomb scared over letterboxes in the Czech Republic?

Sure many watch 'world news' shows, but how often does, say the BBC news, cover regular lost backpacks that get blown up?

Amerikans watch way too much crime television. They are conditioned to view strangers as rapists, murderer, and/or cannibals. Nevermind that Joe Sixpack is more likely to be killed on the freeway or by his fast food diet...

That's AmeriCans, thank you, and nice stereotyping. :lol: If you wanna continue politicizing, go to the Off Topic forum.

hey, that was on topic...and i think pretty astute to boot...including the K! :lol:

So no, I'm not surprised that 40 year old white guys with "detonators," er, GPSr, are being reported to the cops by over-caffeinated, paranoid, "patriotic" citizens.

-Christian

It really worries me that you teach first grade.

In my opinion, we just don't have the experince that the rest of the world has with terrorism.  Europe has dealt with it for decades while the USA was relativly untouched.

Some parts of Europe, yes. There are tens of different countries here with different languages, different climate, different governmental systems, different history (although, of course, some areas share big segments of certain eras of history) and different experience of dealing with terrorism. Although we happen to be on the same continent and belong to the same union, I find the difference between Finland and, say, Spain far greater than difference between e.g. Pennsylvania and Louisiana.

As for the original question why it's always the USA, I'd say it's a bit of everything mentioned in this thread. Yes, it's a numbers thing. Yes, it's a difference in the state of paranoia (although I find it hard to imagine a certain state of 'European paranoia' - it differs from country to country). And yes, it can be even the difference in what gets into the local news like welch suggested. Still, reading lots of international news and following couple of 'other country' geocaching forums, I'd say there's been very few (if any, can't remember any right now) European instances where a geocache has been blown up because of a bomb threat. It might still be more a math thingy than a region based mental athmosphere thingy.

(Btw, if GC.com would offer us Seti@home-style country breakdown stats like geocache( r )s per capita and geocache( r )s per square area, we could compare the countries better than just talk this nonsense about that 'Europeans are this and that'.)

To prove the rule with an exception, I myself was questioned by worried geomuggles when I got burned by searching an urban micro. The word bomb occurred at least once. :lol: Who says 'the Europeans' can't be paranoid? :lol:

-Christian

No kidding :lol:

To prove the rule with an exception, I myself was questioned by worried geomuggles when I got burned by searching an urban micro. The word bomb occurred at least once. :lol: Who says 'the Europeans' can't be paranoid? :lol:

Thanks, Divine, for that example. I would be most interested in hearing about any other "incidents" outside the US.

Obviously, the numbers in the US outweigh other parts of the world, but I truely doubt it is just selective local news that filters out those incidents. It occurs to me that if there was a geo/bomb scare in Spain, Brazil, South Africa or Queensland, the word would spread to these forums, at least, very quickly. :lol:

Obviously, the numbers in the US outweigh other parts of the world, but I truely doubt it is just selective local news that filters out those incidents. It occurs to me that if there was a geo/bomb scare in Spain, Brazil, South Africa or Queensland, the word would spread to these forums, at least, very quickly. :lol:

That's my hunch about the matter too.

-Christian

No kidding :D

It's just a question for discussion!

This is OT.

That's AmeriCans, thank you, and nice stereotyping. :D If you wanna continue politicizing, go to the Off Topic forum.

Actually, I agree with it.. And it's not steryotyping, it's based largely in fact.

When's the last time you saw a movie rated G? When was the last time that your weekly television viewing didn't include bad language, violence, sex, etc?

When's the last time you ate health food?

Whe's the last time you were in a car accident?

And while I'm asking questions that probably won't be answered anyway, has a cache ever been blown up anywhere outside of the US?

That's AmeriCans, thank you, and nice stereotyping. :D If you wanna continue politicizing, go to the Off Topic forum.

Dunno, it sounded pretty close to the mark to me.

Edited by BigWhiteTruck
Also, they like to blow things up...

I think you've got it. Blowing things up makes you look like you're doing something... also gets you a couple quotes in the paper.

If the Andy Griffith show had an episode with a Geocache, Barney Fife would be all worried and getting ready to blow it up while the whole town gathered around... and then Andy would come up and open it and then tell Barney to put it back... hahaha they should make that into a new Holiday Special

-Christian

i'd be honored to have him teach my kids...expose them to some critical thinking in this scary jingoistic time :D

There are geocaches everywhere, in all parts of the world.  It seems also that much of the world is exposed to terrorism.  In past months, a number of geocaches have been archived after incidents involving public bomb scares.

Every instance I have heard involves caches in the United States.  Why don’t we read about the occasional cache/bomb scare in other parts of the world?  Is this only a problem in the US? 

Are US citizens more paranoid than Europeans, or Australians?  Is it simply a math thing? There are more caches in the US than anywhere else.

What is happening to geocaching in the land of little pink houses and the home of the free?  :D:lol:

-Christian

I think he has a good point about the whole thing. We do watch more violent tv and our view of the passerby is possibly ascew. We need to think about the other persons point of view before we do things. And our way of thinking has gotten us into a mind set of us against them.

<flamebait>

I can't speak for Europeans across the board but I think that in the UK you would find that, because terrorism is less of a 'new thing', people automatically behave in a slightly different way. I am not saying that there are not/will never be any cache centered incidents but that people are conscious of the situation without thinking about it. As a result, perhaps caches are hidden in a different way? That applies to the act of hiding as well as to the location and nature of the hide.

Now that I am thinking about it there might even be a subtle difference in the act of hunting also..... Hmmmm.....

Possibly, possibly not. Any how, it's a thought.

Edited by bug&snake

The South African scenario .......

Any of us who have lived through the violent times that lead to 'independence' here in Africa is WELL aware of the threat posed by concealed containers - of any size!

Because of that, we tend to avoid urban locations.

There are very few hidden caches in Africa that are in residential areas, close to sensitive locations (airports, harbours and so on). Not because we don't want to, but because we are almost 'conditioned' not to.

We are, though, extremely fortunate in having vast areas of wilderness to go and play in. Some of these are close enough to towns that the cache hider has no need to place his/her cache in town - there are too many other great locations within a short drive.

Also - because of the distances between towns, residences and so on, EVERYONE has a motor vehicle.

So we tend to go and find some spot of beauty (easy here <_< ) and place our caches where sunrises or sunsets, or magnificent wildlife, or waterfalls, or just in a place that's good for the soul.

I am sure that conditions are considerably different in 'first-world' countries with their high degree of sophistication, urban sprawl, and few wilderness areas close to home.

Guess I'm the lucky one! :lol:

-Christian

i'd be honored to have him teach my kids...expose them to some critical thinking in this scary jingoistic time <_<

I'd like to second that.

I too fear my government more than terrorists. That's why the second amendment allows us to bear weapons, to defend ourselves against our government, after all.

Is it simply a math thing? There are more caches in the US than anywhere else.

I don't think so - there are more caches in the USA yes but there are a lot more people in Europe who can get suspicious: USA ~ 290 million EU ~ 379 million EU+candidate countries ~ 483 million.

Anyway as mentioned - we live with terrorist for a very long time and thus behave a little bit different. Every country used to have it's own scourge: UK >> IRA, Germany >> RAF, France >> Action Directe and others, Spain >> Eta, ....

To those of you who would slam Christian for his statements.....you need to face up to reality and truth.

As an 'outsider looking in' on your currently paranoid country, you should be very afraid of your history, your gov't, and its policies - it got you 911! Don't be surprised if/when it brings much more.

I guess in so many words, you created your own need to be paranoid. You shouldn't get all defensive and angry when it is pointed out to you. Then again - the truth hurts!

Though this post was NOT meant in a mean spirit.....I will now stand and wait to be verbally attacked by those who prefer to wear rose coloured glasses.

Edited by Prairie Jeepin

-Christian

i'd be honored to have him teach my kids...expose them to some critical thinking in this scary jingoistic time :P

I tried to look up the term Amerikan with the K. It looks like it's a jingoistic term for the most part used to distinguish "the bad guy" in the form of the government or "The man".

It was hard to pull a definitive meaning other than it was derogatory.

So, no I'd not be proud to have this person teach my kids. I'd rather have one of the over-caffeinated patriotic citizens teach. The kind of person who at least sounds like they like living here.

Edited by Renegade Knight
There are geocaches everywhere, in all parts of the world.  It seems also that much of the world is exposed to terrorism.  In past months, a number of geocaches have been archived after incidents involving public bomb scares.

Every instance I have heard involves caches in the United States.  Why don’t we read about the occasional cache/bomb scare in other parts of the world?  Is this only a problem in the US? 

Are US citizens more paranoid than Europeans, or Australians?  Is it simply a math thing? There are more caches in the US than anywhere else.

What is happening to geocaching in the land of little pink houses and the home of the free?  :P :P

We had a bomb scare over a cache in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada but I can't remember the cache name right now. I did a 6 month United Nations tour in the Golan Hights, Israel(we call it the party tour! :P ) If you want to see some paranoid people(with good reason) go to Israel, just leave a bag lying around just about anywhere and watch what happens. Needless to say this all rubbed off on me as I was in a bank back in Canada and someone had left thier briefcase at the teller and the alarm bells started going off in my head :lol: !!!. But I must say that even with all the trouble in Israel I had a great 6 months :P

We had a bomb scare over a cache in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada but I can't remember the cache name right now... 

T, D & C: I am very interested in some details about this. Can you remember anything about it (news media where it was published, dates, etc.)?

I would like to remind the participants of this topic that we are not discussing the ideals or values of a kindergarten teacher. Although social practices and political beliefs may pertain, the main question here is about why geocaching bomb scares seem to be more prevalant in the US than other parts of the world. :P:lol:

Although social practices and political beliefs may pertain,  the main question here is about why geocaching bomb scares seem to be more prevalant in the US than other parts of the world.  :lol:  :P

Have you seen "Bowling for Columbine"? I know it's a very polemic movie but one thing in it was interesting: The people killed in the US by firearms per 1000 citizens is much higher (sometimes factor 100!) compared to other countries with a comparable liberal weapons-law. The movie never explained why this is but obviously there must be something different in the US.

My guess: People in the states are paranoid about everything and everybody which/who might hurt them with the slightest possibility ... and then blow it up/shoot him. It's an atmosphere of suspicion, paranoia and fear which causes this.

Btw. I think beside all the rebels the same aggressive behaviour is causing a serious problem for all the US troops in Iraq. Why is the part of this country where the british forces are so calm compared to the rest?!? But that's another discussion ...

Although social practices and political beliefs may pertain, the main question here is about why geocaching bomb scares seem to be more prevalant in the US than other parts of the world.

My personal belief, because we just went through a presidential election, and a lot of people were on edge. The amount of actual incidents involving any sort of security are minimal,

If the community uses care when choosing a cache location and care when choosing a cache container then we have few problems. Think about the perception of non-geocachers.

Did 9/11 change the way I treat others? No. Did it make me suspicious of abandoned packages? Nope.

Why? Because I'm too busy living my own life.

Now what do I think caches being discovered and mis-identified as bombs? I don't like at all. But I'm not going to bad mouth cops, because I believe they are justified in the post 9/11 atmosphere. Most of the "troubled" caches that I've read/heard about IMO should not have been placed where they were found (usually in public high foot traffic areas) or should have been archived due to changes in environment (Grand Central Station comes to mind).

Continuing to place caches in bad areas and to cry foul over how some government entity is being unreasonable action when a cache is found, is just irresponsible foolishness. If more of these nuisances continue, I could easily see in the future caches being traced back to their owners for civil litigation to recoup the cost of resources being used to respond to these calls.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got into this hobby to have some fun and fresh air. I didn't come here to make geocaching my political soap box or to promote politics.

Let's be reasonable and be mindful of where we plan on placing caches before this hobby is seen by the public as a bunch of crackpots geeks out to cause trouble.

John Doe

Although social practices and political beliefs may pertain,  the main question here is about why geocaching bomb scares seem to be more prevalant in the US than other parts of the world.

My personal belief, because we just went through a presidential election, and a lot of people were on edge. The amount of actual incidents involving any sort of security are minimal,

If the community uses care when choosing a cache location and care when choosing a cache container then we have few problems. Think about the perception of non-geocachers.

FINALLY a voice of reason!

Probably, the most logical response to my original question is RK’s statement, “In my opinion, we just don't have the experience that the rest of the world has with terrorism. Europe has dealt with it for decades while the USA was relatively untouched.”

Obviously, there are relatively few incidents in the US involving caches and bomb scares; I can think of only a handful of these reports coming from tens of thousands of hidden caches. But the problem is a real problem and has the potential to affect the future of geocaching (especially in the United States).

As stated above, Americans probably watch too much television and are paranoid about a lot of things, but haven’t we discussed in other topics, the rigid rules about violence, sex and language on television in the US? Isn’t the rest of the world more relaxed about what may or may not be broadcast?

It has been pointed out that other parts of the world are more conditioned to the problems associated with terrorism; geocache hiders and seekers alike approach the game, somehow, differently in other countries.

So, as stated above, “We need to think about the other person’s point of view before we do things. And our way of thinking has gotten us into a mindset of us against them.”

“People in the states are paranoid about everything and everybody…” but it seems they are mostly paranoid about bombs. The current mindset of US citizens is somewhat unbalanced. Consider the recent report of an apparent kidnapping of a woman from a shopping mall in Corona, California. A videotape clearly shows nearby shoppers and motorists seemingly ignoring the event. Haven’t we read these kinds of reports regularly?

Sure, the US just experienced a major election, and many expected an accompaniment of terrorist activity. Maybe the problem will recede into the closet now that things are back to “normal.”

Maybe the newspapers will stop trying to grab the ratings they get for dramatic stories about our innocent pastime. Maybe the paranoid public will stop trying to play detective (that guy looks like he might be up to something suspicious) and focus on actual crimes being committed; after all, we have seen all the crimes over and over on television, it should be easy to spot one in progress.

I’m not holding my breath that these things will happen anytime soon.

In the meantime, what to do? As hydee said, “…If the community uses care when choosing a cache location and care when choosing a cache container then we have few problems. Think about the perception of non-geocachers.”

Perception is reality.

“Let's be reasonable and be mindful of where we plan on placing caches before this hobby is seen by the public as a bunch of crackpots geeks out to cause trouble,” jdoe reminds us.

Common sense is surely the answer here. Too bad common sense isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. :blink:

I'm not sure I can add much to this discussion but . . .

In the UK, most 'urban' caches are micro's (35mm film canisters usually), the bigger sizes are saved for rural locations. That's the point, what sort of terrorist would plant a bomb in the middle of the countryside ?

IMHO anyone who plants an urban cache bigger than a micro is a bit stupid . . . .

As far as paranoia is concerned I don't really want to go there . .. but, recently the BBC showed a very good three part documentary series 'The Power of Nightmares' - have a look at the BBC's description of it HERE

As far as paranoia is concerned I don't really want to go there . .. but, recently the BBC showed a very good three part documentary series 'The Power of Nightmares' - have a look at the BBC's description of it HERE

If you define "very good" as "making the case that global terrorism is merely a fantasy made up by American neoconservatives in a giant global power grab." I define it rather differently.

Here's a tip: if you don't want to go someplace, don't go there.

No the real problem is that in the U.S. dose abnormal behaveior like rummaging through flower planters and looking under bridgs bring any attention. In most the world you can do what you want and people ingore you. I lived in England for 3 years and you could walk down the middle of the street naked and no one would care. Also the typical English bobby isn't smart enought to think. Ol'well just my opion.

cheers