Got Coin?

nolenator

All those who have found a version 2 Moun10Bike this one is for you. Ok, enough interest and enough agree that the Saturday following Thanksgiving (November 27th) is as good a time as any. I will be out in the area all day so I will let the time float for now. I will be playing another game of pass Moun10Bike coin before we meet for those who haven't found one yet, but the twist is you will have to figure out where I am going to join the fun. Peace, Nolenator

Yippee, sounds like a plan. I'm already scopin' out other prizes in the area (like... Just Me...) Given I'm presently at 78, would be great to make Got Coin? my 100. But clearly that means I best get crackin' w/ less than 2 weeks to go. But I'll likely pick up a near dozen on my trip to Eugene later this week, so... that should put me right on target for the 27th adventure.

Question is Nol, how will your "pass the coin" work? If a geochum wanted to join in, when will you be doin' another ring-around-the-geocoin - that day or sometime before then? And yes, how will we figure where you're going to join in the fun - shall we place a bug on Baxter?

All that are interested in going for Got Coin? should meet at the listed parking area about noon. Some can go early and some can go later, but all will want to be at the parking area for some nolenator style fun. Even if you haven't found a Moun10Bike you are welcome to come and join the fun. I don't want to exclude anybody. Peace, Nolenator

Yes, yes - will be there with bells on.  Am now sitting at 99 eagerly awaiting a milestone at Got Coin?  Alas, that means I can't cache now for a full 5 days - uh oh, this could be an unbearably long week!

Or you could grab 100 in the next five days...

Hmm... this gives me an Idea! I'm sitting at 987 right now. I'm sure I can find another dozen between now and then, especially with a couple days off for Thanksgiving.

This would be a group hunt, there is a good chance that someone else will actually find the cache. For a milestone... that just won't do [:D]

That is unless we agree in advance that finders will not disclose that they have found the cache but just walk off and wait for the rest of us to actually find the box.

Otherwise I might see if I can make this one be #999 and then head off to do another up in the hills somewhere.

Hmm... this gives me an Idea! I'm sitting at 987 right now. I'm sure I can find another dozen between now and then, especially with a couple days off for Thanksgiving.

If you are going to bag this one for the milestone you should be at 998 going in. The group will most likely want to stop off at GEM's cache halfway in, it's only a few hundred feet out of the way on a good trail.

Based on the way Got Coin? is hidden it will be tough for the first arrivals to scatter before you spot them. There are TBs and coins and lots of trade items inside so it will take some time to dig through. And you will see them all gathered as soon as you come around the bend at the bottom of the hill. You might be able to coordinate it with radios though.

Edited by k7-wave

This would be a group hunt, there is a good chance that someone else will actually find the cache.  For a milestone... that just won't do  [:D

That is unless we agree in advance that finders will not disclose that they have found the cache but just walk off and wait for the rest of us to actually find the box.

Agreed.

RWW was part of the first group of cachers I met. It would be great to be there when he hits 1000!

I have an idea to allow everybody to find the cache for themselves and still go as a group. As a group, set an offset point near the cache but not in view of it to gather as a group. Those wanting to find it themselves could take turns spotting the hide with the last bringing the container back to the group for the trades.

Serves two porposes, those wanting to find it themselves and lessens the vegetation impact at the cache site. If you read the early logs, the third finder found the cache without coordinates by looking for the geotrail left by four of us sitting in the area of the cache.

I'm thinking this might be a fun event to join! A reminder to the finders; this cache was stocked with quality so come prepared if you want to trade.

:anicute::yikes: M10B...no pressure...this is a great cache based on your coin! The only way I can see to make it better would be to give me (sorry you will be out of town) some coins to pass out for the few that do not have their own :laughing::rolleyes:

Not sure what the offset gathering place is about (could somebody clarify please?) but... While sure, I'd like to have a fair chance of actually "finding" the cache by my own wits - especially given that it's a milestone but...

I don't get all hung up on the details (as to who found a coin vs those who merely touched one, nor if I get/give a little help in sidling up to the hide, or... whatever). Heck I can cache by myself any day of the week. To me the whole point of choosing this adventure for my first halfway serious milestone (I know, I know, stop yer snickering...) - is the fun of going with the gang, to an esteemed cache (are ya listening Moun10bike?) - up in the hills amid all the splendor. Shoot, 'tis the fun and camaraderie (not the nitty-gritty of the numbers) - that's what it's all about.

Or... gee, maybe you folks are all a gang of mean 'n hardcore cut-throats! :laughing::ph34r::lol:

I may be back in now - Snoq. Pass weekend is curtailed due to backyard horses that need medication/attention.

May be able to offer my driveway as a carpool staging area to limit the number of vehicles at the cache parking coords (if this is an issue).

I also am approaching a milestone - currently sitting on 190.

Stay tuned...

paul2tele

I love America because we can have a choice. People can either meet at 10:00 AM at Tolt MacDonald Park in Carnation or noon at the parking coordinates for got coin? E-mail me for the offset coordinates for near the cache. I have not setup a list for the other caches, I figured that we could just do the ones that interest the group.

Peace, Nolenator

Edited by nolenator

I am out after all. Good hunting everybody.

I will just have to place another new one out here to bring y'all back over the river (assuming you can make it).

Be prepared for a closure of Tolt Hill Road (and bridge), which is the access to Carnation just south of McDonald Park (near Nolentator's new cache). It was closed yesterday due to flooding. May be OK now.

paul2tele

Boy am I ever sore today. I'd forgotten about some of those muscles (as is obvious, I'mm sure). What do they say about 'no pain, no gain'? Ouchie!

Great to meet those I hadn't seen at the Event from earlier in the month...and to get even more teasing about by begging for WA Coins.

Thanks again for letting me tag along and for waiting patiently as I dragged this poor 'ol out of shape body up the mountain...so to speak. <_<

A pleasant walk or ride through the Marckworth State Forest to a cache specially placed for finders of a version 2 Moun10Bike Geocoin.

Straight from the cache page.

This makes me sad, as the whole idea of this cache is now pointless. I found a version II coin in a cache and looked forward to finding this with a fellow coin finder, but now the trip is meaningless since all the non coin finders just get the code from someone else. Same exact thing as giving away the answer to a puzzle cache.

Did anyone ask M10B's true feelings about non coin finders getting the code for this cache, or did you just take advantage of Jon's friendly nature?

Maybe at the next event we can just share all the answers for all of your puzzle caches. Please don't include any of mine. :lol:

Shame.

Nothing hurts like the truth.

Perhaps someone in the group should have thought about it before the event instead of having it pointed out to them. Although I find it hard to believe that it never crossed anyone else's mind, rather than it crossed their mind but they wanted to find the cache so bad that they just never said anything.

Plain and simple, this was cheating.

Even though the points are well taken, that's a little harsh.

Perhaps this should have been brought up before the event instead of afterwards?

Ditto what TL said. I, myself, didnt' particurly agree with the way this was setup, but who am I to say how one does things. This is suppose to be a fun game and for those involved, they had a wonderful time yesterday. I might have attended this event...if Ihad, I would have simply held back when it got to the Got Coin part. No problem. I'm a purist and I believe in finding hte coin in the wilds before doign this one, but if others want to do it differently...that's cool. This is just supposed to be fun! Great way to meet people and make new friends.

Did anyone ask M10B's true feelings about non coin finders getting the code for this cache, or did you just take advantage of Jon's friendly nature?

Did you ask Jon his true feelings or are you yet another self-appointed cache cop?

He obviously saw this thread and it's his cache so he gets to decide what is cheating. In fact, if he wants to go delete a find for anyone who hasn't found a coin, he can do so.

Despite the sour grapes, I had a great time yesterday and it was nice of Nolenator to set it up. With the way M10B coins go from first drop directly to someone's trophy shelf, it is very kind of him to share the love with others. As Bull Moose said, it is for M10B to decide whether his cache was logged appropriately or not. Regardless, it was a wonderful day with a terrific bunch of people. That is what I am going to remember.

Edit: bad grammar

Edited by Phil & Cathy
Yah but my point was it's too easy to complain after the fact. If you were monitoring this thread (and it appears you have been), it would have been wiser to bring it up beforehand. Just my $.02.

No, I haven't been monitoring this thread, but do you really think that all these people didn't have a twinge of guilt that what they were doing wasn't right? It shouldn't have had to been pointed out to them.

Did you ask Jon his true feelings or are you yet another self-appointed cache cop?

He obviously saw this thread and it's his cache so he gets to decide what is cheating. In fact, if he wants to go delete a find for anyone who hasn't found a coin, he can do so.

I didn't have to ask Jon, he said it in the first sentence on the cache page before this event, as I said in my first post.

How would you feel if you spent a lot of time coming up with a puzzle cache that was really difficult and then had someone at the next event passing out flyers that showed the solution? I bet you wouldn't be too happy.

Think about all the time, effort, and money Jon spent setting this cache up. He went to the trouble of putting that little code on his new coins (something that can't be changed), setting up the cache page that clearly states the requirements, only to have someone go around giving the code out to anyone that wants it (not earns it). Why not just post a thread here with the code in big bold letters?

I looked at the cache page and see that everyone was fine with claiming a find on it without having done the work (and yes, finding a coin is hard work). I'm sorry if you aren't up to that work, but face it, not everyone her is qualified to find every cache. There are scuba caches around here that I will never find simply because I'm not will to do what it takes. I accept that fact, and don't go pay some diver to find them for me. At the very least I would think these people would have the scruples to just post a note, but I guess not everyone here has a conscience. Pathetic.

I agree that geocaching is meant to be fun, but do you really have to negate someones time, effort, and expense to do it? Go find a cache that everyone is qualified for, stop ruining it for those of us that want to play by the rules. This cache had a meaning, now it's just another ammo box in the woods.

To follow the whole list of events leading up to this event you have to jump around through a lot of the forums. The first I heard about it was after I found the coin Nolenator drop in the Maple loop cache. We started talking about doing got coin, then he made it it’s own topic. If you can follow it back he talks about getting permission from M10B to take noncoin finders on this trip. I don’t feel that it took any thing away from finding this cache it was a great time and made it even more special doing it with this group.

Edited by Ray&Rose