Can This Be Legally Done?

Ok what I want to do is have a Multi-Virtual cache with an unlisted (but approved) traditional cache as the final objective. This cache will only to become available to cachers who have found all the virtuals in the series and as such cannot be searched for using any of the search facilities available on the GeoCaching website. Once a FTF has been logged then the final cache will become available to all (tho I would hope that players would keep up with the spirit of the multi and leave the cache to the end).

I have a few questions:

• Is is possible to have a Virtual-Multi cache (or Multi-Virtual)? Do the rules allow for such?
  • Is it possible within the rules to have a cache that is active but cannot be searched for?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen this sort of thing done before, and what you need to do is post approximate co-ords to the final cache (maybe within 10 or 20 miles or so) and create the cache as a Puzzle type cache explaining that to get the true locations you need to first of all find "x, y and z caches".

You will need to get it approved and listed for people to log it.

Hopefully this is a satisfactoy solution to your problem, although you may have more of an issue getting all your virtuals approved.

The chances are that your virtuals will not be approved as stand alone caches. Virtuals have to be something pretty spectacular to get approved these days. your best bet would be to make the virtuals all parts of the multi, with the box being the final part. This way you would be listing one cache. See our You sank my battleship! for an example of how we did this with virtuals.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Highland Nick has a series of five virtual caches that then give you the co-ords to a regular cache. They are called 'summit to the sea'. Have only managed the last two my self but then caching up a mountain with a pram does have it's limits, although I did try to climb to doc doc's 'cache o noth' whilst pushing the pram!

I've seen this sort of thing done before, and what you need to do is post approximate co-ords to the final cache (maybe within 10 or 20 miles or so) and create the cache as a Puzzle type cache explaining that to get the true locations you need to first of all find "x, y and z caches".

Hopefully this is a satisfactoy solution to your problem, although you may have more of an issue getting all your virtuals approved.

Yep, I've seen those.

Personally I don't see why you wouldn't make it a multi that you have to visit several sites to gather information for the final step. (I've even seen other peoples caches being used as a leg in the multi) That at least makes it so every cacher has to go to each location. The final wouldn't become availble after the FTF.

Edited by 11 After

Yep, I've seen those.

Personally I don't see why you wouldn't make it a multi that you have to visit several sites to gather information for the final step. (I've even seen other peoples caches being used as a leg in the multi) That at least makes it so every cacher has to go to each location. The final wouldn't become availble after the FTF.

Thanks for your help everyone, I think a slight re-think is in order. Just thought I'd get a nice christmas themed multi out for the festive season. Maybe just maybe I'll get something sorted, or just go for a bog standard traditional for my first placement. :anibad:

This is the sort of cache when micro's become useful for clue collecting, but it would be better to make it one multi leg cache, no one says it has to done in one outing.

I know what you mean about the search facilities on gc.com as I found the final details for "Enigma" puzzle cache after just 2 clicks of a mouse so technically cheated on it.

There can't be many places suitable for a virtual that couldn't hide a micro.

There can't be many places suitable for a virtual that couldn't hide a micro.

....and so say Lactodorum and I, often :anibad::):o

Correct but micros can go missing and paper clues can get wet and soggy. Most virtuals wont disapear as they are usually well fixed in position.

If Nick had set his summit to sea series as one cache with a set of locations for clues and then leading to a final location most people would be a bit miffed to only get 1 on the stats for all the miles and exertions required to complete it. I think his set of caches are a good idea and I hope to attempt them sometime in the not too distant future.

Folk are correct, virtuals are out - just after I set my series. Naefear is right though, in my opinion - its better to get a number of separate caches leading to the final one - then it's a reward for miles put in even if you don't finish. There are plenty of claimants who have done the easier caches of the "Summit to Sea" series, but only a few are going to make it to the summit of Ben MacDui - it's a serious hill and even less will do the final "real" cache. But there again, I set the series up so that few would in fact manage the lot in any case and the separate caches are (literally) tens of miles apart.

Apart from that, I would argue that placing a "real" cache on the summit of a mountain should be discouraged on environmental reasons. But how I justify this to myself when I look at some of the other caches I've placed up here in the Highlands could be construed as hypocritical!

I would also suggest, respectfully, to Eck and Lacto that there are some virtuals where putting in a "real" cache would be problematical purely on a practical basis. However, there are some pretty lame brain virtuals as well. It's a no - win situation!

You could do as Stuey suggests with the 'final' cache, and do the multi as a series of virtual stages leading to a physical container with the co-ords of the final cache. So you've still got the multi-virtual, except with the addition of one container, and you've still got the separate extra puzzle cache.

Edited for clarity - I hope!

Edited by Bill D (wwh)