What's Your Found To Hide Stat's Like??

P.S. When I get a spare minute I want to go out to find caches - setting them takes too much time

If there was a larger number of people thought this way, there would be little or no caches for you to go out and find. Then what would you do with your spare minute??

Some people just need a nudge, but I wouldn't bother. If they want to place and take care of a cache, they will. 'I've placed a cache, why haven't you?' too much and you might end up with a bunch of caches that were tossed together and not thought out enough. Yea call me a dooms day thinker or whatever if you want, but go to the general forums and read about the complaints of 'lame', 'micro', 'trash', etc. Encourage people to place caches if you want, but please try to not mass market shame them. All you know of is 'they' have not placed any caches :blink: .... (I'd just be repeating myself to go on so I'll stop now.)

UK has 7

(1/1)21 Sep 02 What's all that about then by Chris n Maria (GC90E9)

United Kingdom 31 Oct 04

(5/1) 19 Apr 02 Mission Impossible (UK) - The Mission by Kimrobin (GC4EC5)

United Kingdom 19 Jun 04

(1/1)26 Jul 03 Resurrection of a Big Toe (Hampshire) by Mowzer, Cannaspliff, Kouros, and others (GCGH65)

United Kingdom 16 Oct 04

(1/1) 21 Apr 03 A1/M62 - Bug Hotel (W Yorks) MOVED July '04 by Slytherin (GCA528) United Kingdom 01 Nov 04

(5/2)4 Sep 04 Between the Lines by DomHeknows (GCKF0N)

United Kingdom Yesterday*

(1/1)12 Mar 04 Willoughby de Broke’s Marble by Wild Trekker (GCHX1K)

United Kingdom 10 Oct 04

(2.5/2)13 Jun 04 Burgh island by davy boy (GCJPAA)

United Kingdom 16 Oct 04

And if I ran the other searchs correctly, France, Germany, Ireland, Finland, Denmark or Belgium do not have any MOCs.

edit: also, Sweden has four, Luxembourg and Italy have one each.

Edited by welch

Hang on - Devil's advocate hat on here again...

I set up a sweet shop, why didn't you??? :D

I set up a photostat shop, why didn't you??? :angry:

I set up a multi-trillion dollar burger chain, why didn't you??? :angry:

Same principle here I would suggest - supply and demand. :angry:

I never said I am not going to place a cache either - just what is the point when there are so many to find. :angry:

I will also draw your attention to earlier comments about making a cache good before jumping into the fold and the FACT that if everyone placed 1:10 finds then we would be littered with crap caches full of McD toys.

I for one would rather spend 4 hours getting to a decent cache than 10 minutes to a throw away job.

Just me two penneth :angry: and please bare in mind before flaming the hell out of me that we have only found 38 caches so far!

The Hokesters...

Following this thread, over the weekend I studied my OS maps and made notes of likely locations for caches.

There is room for more around here, but here's the thing.

I enjoy caches for different reasons - some are a mental challenge, some are a pleasant walk, some are an afternoon or even a day and some are cache and dash and despite this being Hampshire, there have even been some that are physically interesting - "challenging" may be too strong a word.

I've only set one cache, in an area that I particularly like and hopefully with some mental interest to it.

I want to set more caches, but whereas there is a certain motivation to get caches for numbers, I want to set caches that would be my favourite type to find. My guilty feeling has passed.

To The Hokesters

Please accept my apologies if I have upset you, however I used YOUR comment that YOU made as an example. If you do not wish people to mis-interpretate your comments, don't write such bold statements. I also haven't said anywhere that people should have at least 1:10 stats, I did say at least 1 or 2 caches, this is far from 1:10 especially if someone is in there triple figures.

Please accept my apology, as I said, I only used your statement as I thought it summed up the situation.

I also agree with Welch that the quality is a lot better than the quantity, what I am trying to say is that there is people that spend all of there free time just going out finding caches, and don't appear to want to contribute back.

I have noted that there is some people out there that slag other peoples work off, but still haven't shown how it should be done themselves. This also annoys me.

For a new cacher in Edinburgh for example, I appreciate that it is nearly impossible to set up another cache, so they would find it difficult to place a cache.

But Kitty Hawk as looked at an OS map and has realised that there is room for more caches in Hampshire, and quite rightly is wanting to take the time to place one that is something that they would like to find.

I also appreciate that some people can't place caches for various reasons, but when I read a comment saying that they 'want to go out to find caches - setting them takes too much time', this makes it look like they are taking a loan of other peoples generosity. I now know that in The Hokesters case this is not true, but I am sure that you can see how it could be read into such an assumption.

As I have said before I am not wanting to make this into an argument, as it appears I am the only person that feels this way, or is willing to say something.

No offence taken at all - perhaps the sentiment was misunderstood. As I have stated I am working on our first cache at the moment. :lol:

Playing the devil's advocate I said 'why place when there are so many caches out there'. Not necessarily the 'moral' feeling on this subject but one I suspect a good number of cachers adopt. :lol:

Also I reckon only about 5% of active cachers actually take part in the forums and those are the 'dedicated' or should that be 'adicted' members of our sport. They are much more likely to set cachers than the less obsessive of us. :lol:

Anyway trust me - no offence was taken and I wasn't upset.

I love a good discussion - that's all folks.

Si :mad:

The whole concept of geocaching centres around altruism. Cachers set caches for others to find; many put huge amounts of effort into creating good caches. Cachers finding caches also help to maintain them by renewing logbooks, containers etc.

I think that those who get excited about geocaching will inevitably begin to get the urge to place their own caches. They will have done one or two that particularly grab them and give them ideas for their own. It is a bit of a leap to take to place the first one, but there is nothing more satisfying than receiving positive logs for your own caches. This in itself makes the whole thing worthwhile, rewarding and provides the motivation to do another! I have seen new cachers starting out who initially are only interested in finding; however, once they have placed their first cache, the 'setting' bug kicks in.

There are always going to be individual reasons why some cachers don't place caches: time, locality, physical mobility problems etc etc. It probably doesn't matter on the whole, since the number of new cachers and caches seems to be increasingly exponentially all the time as this pastime becomes more and more popular in the UK.

Having said all that :lol: there's no excuse for a certain cacher, with over 200 finds, who I won't name to shame, not to take the plunge and place his first cache!! :lol:

(Only teasing....)

By the way - I went out and bought an ammo box after finding only three caches. I thought I had a perfect place to hide it, etc.

Fortunately advice on this forum discouraged me from taking the plunge before getting a bit more experience. Thank God for that advice otherwise another dross cache would have been placed full of junk and a very uninspired hide it would have been too.

There was a discussion which ensued whereby GC.com (or the mods) would ban people from placing until they had found at least 10 or maybe 20 caches themselves - an idea I agree with in principle although I wouldn't want to discourage potential setters either. This method would also help to make sure people are dedicated to the sport before setting and then dissapearing and leaving an un-maintained cache behind.

Incidentally in the early days I also spent an age on creating a fantastic virtual only to have it refused due to the ban on virtuals. What a waste of time that was - if only I had spent a bit more time with GCing and reading the website before trying this!

Si

After reading FoF's & The Hokesters comments, I have came to the conclusion that these are the best explanations on why people don't place caches. Until that point I thought it was a case of, If I don't want to place a cache then TUFF. As I still think this is the case for a few people, I fully realise that it isn't the case for everyone.

I do of course have to agree with FoF's closing comments :lol::lol::mad:

Having said all that  :lol:  there's no excuse for a certain cacher, with over 200 finds, who I won't name to shame, not to take the plunge and place his first cache!!  :huh:

(Only teasing....)