What's Your Found To Hide Stat's Like??

After reading an entry by Pinguman, stating that there was a lot of people taking but not giving to the community, and looking at the amount of people that cached in the UK to the amount of caches, I can see that he is correct.

What I am interested to know (probably again as I am sure this would have been done before) is what is your ratio for hidden caches against your found caches.

Please include all of your caches including any that you have archived, as caches that are found before being archived stay on your stats.

My ratio is 13.56/1 that is for every hidden cache I have found 13.56.

My intention was to have the ratio at about 1 created for each 25 that I found.

According to GeocacheUK, I have hidden 1 cache for every 19.8 caches found.

I have a bit of space to find some more then, but I do have two ready to drop, and about half a dozen further ideas :anibad:

Nearly 300 caches found, with 3 caches owned and another about to be hidden (so, say 4)

= approx. 1:75

Admittedly, one of the caches I "own" was adopted! :anibad:

(With regards to the one I'm (hopefully) about to hide, I received a letter from the National Trust today to arrange a meeting with their Head Warden to discuss a suitable hiding place.) :o:):o

Actually I think it makes sense that people would have several times as many finds as hides. A single cache might provide for dozens or hundreds (or more) finds in it's life time, but only one hide. If it were the other way around... you could find your brains out, but anyone with a hide may well get bored waiting for something to happen (because everyones busy on the other couple hundred thousand caches).

Trying to find a 'proper' ratio will never work. People are all different, What some people can handle doing others wouldn't attempt. Some people don't like the idea of even placing a cache (I don't understand this myself, but a few plan to never place a cache), others know things wouldn't work out well because they're busy, travel, procrastinate, etc. For whatever reason wouldn't be good cache owners.

Then factor in the huge number of people who start caching, find a few? (dozens even), then lose interest and stop. It starts making sense why the number of finds is many times the number of hides.

We have a ratio of 1:8.1, which I feel quite satisfied with :anibad: as we (I) had planed on a ratio of about 1:10.

I think it could be a bit misleading to consider the amount hidden as a ratio as a high numbers cacher such as Seasider might have a serious problem maintaining 100 plus caches at a 1:10 ratio. I belive that quality and availability (maintained) of caches placed is probably more important than quantity.

Mind you could do with a few more in Oxfordshire as we've almost cleared it, any offers?

But I have logged 143 trigpoints and never built one  :P  :)  :anibad: feel so guilty.

LOL!!! :):o:o

I can picture it now... Deego struggling to push a wheelbarrow up a mountain, containing... :D

2 x 50kg bags of concrete mix

Water to mix

Wooden planks to create a mould

Shovel to dig footings

Theodolite and GPS to ensure correct position

etc etc

Mine is 157 found and 22 placed but of these three where adopted and two are disabled. One should be back in action tonight though.

My intention is a ratio of 5 to 1. There are some planned and will be placed soon. I am waiting for Landowner permission on a paricularly evil one. I also have a puzzle one to finish. Mostly I will be placing nice easy regular caches.

I have tried to be fair and place a reasonable amount and variety.

I would say that I don't think I will be placing any more micro's though. Too much like hard work finding them yourself if they have been moved in the slightest from where you placed them.

I can picture it now... Deego struggling to push a wheelbarrow up a mountain, containing...  :anibad:

2 x 50kg bags of concrete mix

Water to mix

Wooden planks to create a mould

Shovel to dig footings

Theodolite and GPS to ensure correct position

etc etc

I think I'd probably go for a rivet or surface block if it was me! The trig equivalent of a micro!

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

I was just about to reply to this thread when something happened to my computer and my screen went blank...so I am typing this reply purely by touch...I hope I haven't mispelled any words??

I have telephoned a local repair centre and they inform me that a build up of static emotion can cause this result !!! And they won't be able to repair it for months :o

So it will probably be around the New Year before I can enter a reply :anibad::):o

Ullium.

You try and find a worthwhile place round here that Simply Paul or Dan and Pid have not already placed a cache. I see SP is having to move NW himself these days! :anibad:

139 found, 11 hidden, so that's a ratio of approx 1:12.64

Same where I live... with more new cachers appearing each week, all wanting to hide caches, you can't move for the bl**dy things :):o

I don't think a found to hidden ration of 5:1 is realistic. It's maybe OK if you've only found a few but with 770 (ish) finds, there's no way I'm going to hide 154 caches. In fact, I'm gradually archiving the 20 or so I have hidden. As they get 'muggled' I'm just not replacing them. Two reasons... 1) To give new cachers a chance to put one down in that area and 2) some of my earlier caches weren't anything to write home about anyway.

Personally, I think a cache should have a limited life... 2 to 3 years, maybe and then, if it has survived, it should be archived, for environmental reasons if nothing else. Also.... and don't all shoot at once... there should be a limit on the number of caches one person/team can place.... anything over 30 or so is just plain greedy :o:P

I've only hidden one so far but have another almost ready so it's 1:22 so far (We're only beginners) but now have 6 ammo boxes and 300 film pots (don't panic!!! I'm not about to hide 300 micro's).

If cachers only hide one each it would make more opportunities for the people that have hidden heaps, it seems a bit unfair to get all the fun of the hunt and never make the effort to add a bit.

My stats are 1250 found and 50 hidden (of which 11 were adopted by the good cachers of the NW & Yorks :o when I retired earlier in the year) which is a ratio of 1:25 :anibad:

Three of the caches were event caches and currently another 8 are archived of which 7 will be brought back to life shortly (the Old Trafford cache will stay mothballed for another season)! :):o So in terms of active caches which can still be logged as of today my ratio slips to 1:32

Cheers!

Seasider

Heh, "retired"!  :anibad:  :)  I can't believe you've found more caches than messages I've posted on here (but I'm slowly catching up  :o )

MarcB

Blimey! That's an impressive number of posts!!

We'll have to ask Deego to consult his record book. Wonder how many other millennium posters there are?! :o

Time for another topic me thinks!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
.... anything over 30 or so is just plain greedy :):anibad:

Mmmmm.......

Hides: 85

Finds: 342

Thats 1 hide to 4.02 finds

Personally I don't think that the ratio matters. I enjoy hiding caches and have the fortune to live in a wonderful area with relatively few caches. We are finally beginning to get a few more cachers in West England but I had it almost to myself for ages!

I also think it important to give something back which is the reason I'm working on landowner permissions to give others an opportunity to hide caches.

:anibad: ooh where do you log trigpoints? Cos if I had known this was part of said same hobby I would have had something else to do instead of trailing up some peak and holding my mate's roachpole in the wind while he sits on his butt chatting to other sota guys holding his bit of pen and paper. Then I would have some points to claim tooo :)

95 finds, 12 hides - just about 8 to 1.

Although interesting to compare, I can't see that it matters, really. And if some people just want to seek and not hide, they are making a valuable contribution by doing this.

Cache setters are only "shopkeepers", setting out their wares and hoping that plenty of customers will come along and make a purchase! The currency of the land is cache logs on the internet site, and the feedback therein.

There are plenty of geocachers who enjoy placing caches, so we don't need to make anyone feel obliged to set one.

HH

...others know things wouldn't work out well because they're busy, travel, procrastinate, etc. For whatever reason wouldn't be good cache owners.

What if they were a traveller - where would 50 miles radius from their home be? :anibad::)

They would constantly be in conflict with the hide rules. :o

Yep, travelers would probably fall into the not good catogory.

Found: 80 (3 types: Traditional, Multi & Virtual)

Hidden: 13 (5 types: Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Webcam & Letterbox)

6.15/1

I think Im maintaining a pretty good ratio. Hiding caches is a good part of the game though, I enjoy reading peoples thought about the places Ive taken them to, especially if they really enjoyed it.

Edit: Insert ratio

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew
There are plenty of geocachers who enjoy placing caches, so we don't need to make anyone feel obliged to set one.

99 Finds since June '02 / 0 Hides

It's difficult not to feel guilty, though.

I look at my local area (N. London) and I think, 'Would I want to come here in search of a cache, especially perhaps only micro? Is it interesting, scenic or spectacular enough to justify one? Do I know the area of any potential cache site well enough to feel it's safe to bring other cachers to?'.

I suppose I totally lack imagination :lol: As a consequence, after over two years gentle caching, I've hung up my spurs until I do break my duck. I'll still haunt the forums, though :lol:

I keep looking at my stats and having guilty feelings that I've not set enough, but, I'm new to this area and the bits I know tend to be through caching. :lol:

Plus, Hampshire is pretty densly packed already and I am quite keen to set a cache that provokes comments rather than a brief "Yup, dunnit" style note although maybe that is a bit pernickity.

However, the New Forest is now open and I've just bought an ammo box, a rite in the rain pad a some TB's and a big sticker . I'm all set :lol:

Don't see why there should be an optimum number of caches per cacher though, Wombles maintain theirs OK, in fact, if it weren't for Wombles Wiltshire would be nearly a desert, however they are, perhaps not ordinary.

Other folks may have a great deal more difficulty say with partners who are less enthused or maybe working 6 days a week so may have less chance to set them, bearing in mind the commitment to maintain.

99 Finds since June '02 / 0 Hides

I look at my local area (N. London) and I think, 'Would I want to come here in search of a cache, especially perhaps only micro? Is it interesting, scenic or spectacular enough to justify one? Do I know the area of any potential cache site well enough to feel it's safe to bring other cachers to?'.

I suppose I totally lack imagination :lol: As a consequence, after over two years gentle caching, I've hung up my spurs until I do break my duck. I'll still haunt the forums, though :D

I agree washboy...especially if most of one's friends take every opportunity to poke fun at the fact that you haven't yet got around to placing your first cache :D

And although the area I live in is not overly populated with caches...there is a very good reason for that ... and the reason is...that it is not an area one would like to encourage cachers to be wandering about it in looking like tourists :lol:

Also as I have gained some experience finding caches I have acrued a list of does and do nots which get longer by the minute....which adds to the difficulty of making a final decision....I know I'm am being just too cautious but I would rather err on that count than just place caches without too much consideration to my fellow cachers :lol:

But now that I have nearly found all the caches in my area and weather conditions are worsening as we approach winter...the opportunity to find the time to break my duck is fast approaching :lol:

Ullium.

Can I just say - I don't feel guilty. I don't want to be forced into placing my first cache and it ending up a pile of pish! I am taking my time to formulate the best cache I can muster for my first attempt.

Plus I wouldn't feel guilty if I never placed a cache either really. I thank all the cache hiders out there but there is no law moral or otherwise to say that you MUST hide to seek.

Si - Devil's Advocate :lol:

I think I'd probably go for a rivet or surface block if it was me! The trig equivalent of a micro!

Around Abergele maybe?!! :lol::D:lol:

My ratio is about 1:10 for what that is worth. As PC point out there is no point in hiding lots of caches if you can't maintain them - on the other hand in an area where they are thin on the ground the more the better, especially as they will presumably be in reach of the owner for maintenance.

When I set this thread up, I knew it would get people hot under the collar, espescially the ones that hadn't placed any caches.

My take on this is that you do not have to place any caches of your own.

But when you find a cache think about the time and money spent on placing it. If the person hadn't gone out of their way to do this you wouldn't have a cache to find.

With this in mind, to keep the sport/hobby alive it is needed for people to contribute by placing caches, even if this is only 1 or 2.

The Hokesters have summed up what I thought in one complete sentence -

P.S. When I get a spare minute I want to go out to find caches - setting them takes too much time

If there was a larger number of people thought this way, there would be little or no caches for you to go out and find. Then what would you do with your spare minute??

P.S. I haven't put these comments on here to instigate an argument, they are just for you to muse over the next time you are out having fun.