A Different Style Of Disk

wister6813

Since Saturday was such a great day I thought I would find some benchmarks after the yard work was completed. I found 4 disks and 3 intersection stations, but one of the disks is not the ususal C&GS, USGS or USACE disk that I find in the area.

The odd disk is HLR 28 (KE0257). As stated on the disk it is a Harbor Line Reference Mark. What makes this a bit more ususal is the disk is on the east bank of the Kansas (aka Kaw) River in Kansas City, KS. While most may think of harbors as coastal features, there are also inland harbors along the major rivers. I don't think the Kaw is considered a major river, and the only navigation I'm aware of occured many years ago, and probably only near the mouth.

The mark was monumented by DOD at an unknown date. I searched the database for other marks with that include HLR in the designation. The search reported seven, six in Kansas and one in New Jersey. After reviewing the descriptions for the other five in Kansas I don't think that are likey to be found because most of the landmarks used in the description are gone.

I also noted that fine for distrurbing the mark is $500, not the typical $250 that is stated on most disks. Perhaps this was due to the importance of navigation and the US governments authority over inland waterways.

Wister,

What you found does belong to USACE, The US Army Corps of Engineers. They are involved in hydrodynamic studies of most all of the nations rivers. It is a flood control thing, They study the river when it is in it's bank and try to figure out what happens when it leaves the bank. Mostly Bench Marks to help ascertain river levels flood plains and gauge stations. The DOD reference on the Datasheet was a later addition, but the Army is under the Department of Defense.

This is a pipe cap type of monument. These have not been used much in years but there are still some around. They usually just don't seem to last well. The metals in these pipe cap stations usually didn't stand the test of time and they fell out of use. USACE has plenty of Bench Marks out in the field they use for their own control. Not all have been submitted for use in the NGS database.

Rob