Going Unknown

AE_Rodney

I want to know if Geocachers get together/team up often, because from what I've seen it's almost like alot of people want to keep their identity a secret. I understand this from a website point of view, but does this extend into the actual sport of Geocaching? I've read many logs where a group of cachers have met other cachers, and I have e-mailed and recieved e-mail from other cachers, but should I be more careful, or is the nature of Geocaching just not very social? So many questions!!! :ph34r:

I think it's mostly a website thing. I've had cachers I've never met, but talk to online offer to let me stay at their house when they knew I was going to be in their area. I also have a list of cell phone and home numbers, and know several other cachers who have phone numbers for cachers who we've only briefly, if ever, met. Also, many of the events I've been to have been well attended. Off the boards, we're a pretty social bunch, in my experience.

I've been obnoxious on the internet for so long, I worry about other people's vulnerabilities...

Concern noted and appreciated, but I have nothing to hide and I have no fear!

Do your worst and I will survive! :ph34r:

Edit: Terror only works on those that can be terrorized.

And the fact that he posted his annoying neighbor's info... :D

Concern noted and appreciated, but I have nothing to hide and I have no fear!

Then you just haven't ticked anyone off enough.

Goodness, it's so long ago I've forgotten the first time I cranked someone off to the point he threatened to follow my IP upstream, work out who my employer was and drop a dime on me. If you truly have no fear, it can only be because you have nothing to lose :ph34r:

Goodness, it's so long ago I've forgotten the first time I cranked someone off to the point he threatened to follow my IP upstream, work out who my employer was and drop a dime on me. If you truly have no fear, it can only be because you have nothing to lose  :ph34r:

Truth is, I have a lot to lose. I just have no fear of losing it because I am strong enough, smart enough, and responsible enough not to lose it. The information I posted (other than email address) can be found on the internet or in my local phone book. If any a-hole chooses to try to use this info to their advantage, they will be sorry. This I guarentee!

edit: please excuse spelling

Edited by CapnJackSparrow

I dont cache alone very often since an old friend, Dorothy McCaw and I teamed up sort of. We had been friends in a past life and had no contact for maybe upto 7 years.

I have met many people that began from online communications for both business and personal reasons. Only a couple were totally nutcases or they thought I was.

With what I do I try to keep an online presence for the things I make. Though the PTB wont let my website show up in my profile. Maybe it will show up in this.. leatherwork dot biz .

That said... My limited experience so far has been geocachers seem like a friendly bunch. I am fully aware though of internet experiences there are predators online.. and I wouldnt doubt they could be anywhere. Mostly a problem for you lovely ladies and children. Since I dont see any chatrooms for geocachers.. though I have not looked very hard probably not an issue.

Mentioning the problems of ladies caching alone, that can be a problem. There are sometimes nasty folks out in the woods! We cache as a family, and the few times I have cached alone, I really felt exposed. I do know females that cache solo, but I prefer to cache with someone else. I am fortunate that my family loves geocaching!

In our area, (central Texas), we have a very active geocaching group that get together to tackle night caches, or just get together to cache as a group for fun. That really can add to the experience! We are planning to take on a night cache this Friday night. Night caching will be a new experience for us, and the woods the night cache is in is easy enough to get lost in during the day!

We also have frequent cache events where we can get together, meet other area geocachers, swap stories and suggestions, and help one another. That is the best part of being part of this group!

Malia

Back to the original topic -

Cachers as a whole ar a very social bunch. It's nice to get together with others who enjoy the outdoors and this crazy RASH.

I've traveled to a few places out of state and met locals from the area who have treated me like family (OK, better than family).

geocaching is a sport that can be done totally anonymously and often has to be done stealthily, so people who enjoy those qualities will be drawn to it.

othere than those folks, i have not found geocachers to be any more secretive than the rest of the population.

This all helps alot. Are there many clubs? I have found that it's alot of fun going Geocaching with friends. We make a day of it because it's nice to relax and have a picknick. That way we can take time on the cache too. We have done some cache hunts with just two of us and it wasn't that social, and was rather quite rushed.

Thanks for all the replies. Hope too be seeing some of you in the field soon.

I'm anti social to begin with.

However when looking for a cache it pays to keep it cloak and dagger. If someone spots you, you will look suspiciouse that makes them call, then the police come and find a box, then they get suspicouse even if it says "GEOCACHE" on it so they call the Bomb Squad, the Bomb Squad will X-Ray it and see circuit boards on the McToys and think "Bomb" and blow it up.

Then we have one less cache, and a lot more publicity of the kind we don't want. So cloak and dagger it is.

One big suprise though was that I haven't met a geocacher I don't like. I'm not kidding about being anti social so it was with great suprise that I attended my first event and learned that these people ain't so bad, and even more amazing most of them at least knew my Geocaching Name and had even read some of my logs. Of course I'd been tracking most of their logs as well...

Edited by Renegade Knight
Randall Crawford

2317 Long Pond Rd.

Rochester, NY 14606

585-426-2140

rwc2000@rochester.rr.com

We have nothing to fear but fear itself!

WOO HOO!!!

My address is permanantly posted on the GC site.

(waits impatiently for someone to find it)

Why live your life hiding in fear?

I'm some what anti-socal myself, and don't really go out of my way to meet others. But, my caching partner is about as far the other way as can be. Togeather we make a good team.(wish she was single)

Did just find out here that the good Captain and I live about 15 miles apart. Might make me want to meet another cacher. As soon as the other half of the Sevateem talks me into it. :D

Heh. How about that...

I googled my last name, my hometown and the word "address" and found myself on the fourth hit, full address and phone number. Interesting that there are also my two brothers living in town, yet they NEVER showed up on the google serach.

I tried that and found that apparently I died 12 years ago.

Heh. How about that...

I googled my last name, my hometown and the word "address" and found myself on the fourth hit, full address and phone number.

My mother, who lives about 1000 miles from, and whom I talk to maybe once a week and occasionally trade an email with, recently asked me about some new girlfriend I supposedly had.

Confused, I asked what she meant, and she told me she'd googled my name and saw a picture of me with some girl she didn't recognize.

I don't care if y'all know what I'm up to, but when my mother asks me about my lovelife based on a google search...

Jamie

My mother, who lives about 1000 miles from, and whom I talk to maybe once a week and occasionally trade an email with, recently asked me about some new girlfriend I supposedly had.

Confused, I asked what she meant, and she told me she'd googled my name and saw a picture of me with some girl she didn't recognize.

I don't care if y'all know what I'm up to, but when my mother asks me about my lovelife based on a google search...

Hehe, was it the picture with the bunny girl and that huge a** beer mug? :)

Ive met dozens of local cachers either on the trail by chance, at events or through emails seeking hints to my caches. Several have become close, personal friends who I often hang out with even if we're not caching.

I am a very sociable person and Ill go caching with absolutely anyone. Ive even thought of placing a cache on my patio just to bring local cachers around to visit.

Ive met dozens of local cachers either on the trail by chance, at events or through emails seeking hints to my caches. Several have become close, personal friends who I often hang out with even if we're not caching.

I am a very sociable person and Ill go caching with absolutely anyone. Ive even thought of placing a cache on my patio just to bring local cachers around to visit.

Make it the "WH's Malted Beverage 'Cache" and I'll be FTF... :)