Permission Granted, But How Does Anyone Know?

Reading this thread I got to thinking and wonder if my idea would be a good one to be adopted as part of the rules... essentially it has to do with caches that are approved by the police/park ranger/state trooper/land management/etc. Apparently this ammo canister was placed near a police station in the woods with permission. Someone saw it, got suspicious, the bomb squad was called in, the person who apporved its placement wasnt consulted and so they blew the thing up.

My suggestion wasn that if a cache is placed in a sensitive area with approval, it should be stated on the exterior *who* approved it. In this way if anyone gets suspicious, they know who to contact *before* removing it or blowing it up. THis could be down by paitning the words on the side of the ammo canister, or simply written on paper and covered by clear plastic tape wrapped around the container to preserve it. "approved by park rangers"

how hard could this be? and this would save everyone a lot of headaches.

THis could be down by paitning the words on the side of the ammo canister, or simply written on paper and covered by clear plastic tape wrapped around the container to preserve it. "approved by park rangers"

how hard could this be? and this would save everyone a lot of headaches.

Any effort to label the outside of a geocaching container couldn't hurt. Geocachers are also going to have to use more common sense as the game progresses. ;)

:unsure:

Would it? It might save the initial phone call, but once the call is made nobody can assure anybody about anything. The person who gave permission can not assure the container wasn't tampered with, the cache owner can not assure that someone didn't do something to the container after he placed it. The person making the call may only be phonng in the suspicous behavior of a geocacher seeking the cache. That seems to be the operating method. See geocacher, call police. They would have to seek out a package they think is a bomb before they make the all. I don't know about you but I'd make the call first.

Permission Granted, But How Does Anyone Know?

they ask? :ph34r:

Ok, but really, I still think if the bomb squad shows up and thinks its a bomb, they're going to treat it like one. No matter what it looks like or says on it.

My question for the PD/etc people here:

If a bomb is called in, and bomb squad people show up. After checking it over, the container label can be read, and 'Jon Doe' (whoever gave permission) can be found. Is this person going to be allowed to walk up and open the container?

.....and (if) 'Jon Doe' (whoever gave permission) can be found. Is this person going to be allowed to walk up and open the container?

No, we know he isn't. At least, based on the experience at the 'Tin Lizzie' incident, he isn't. And, you know, if it gets to the stage of having the bomb squad involved, can you really blame the leader of the squad for refusing the responsibility of allowing a bomb-muggle to go and open a metal box in a sensitive place? Who catches the crap if it is a bomb? He already has permission to blow the thing up or to use a 'disruptor' on it. Why risk his future by letting some guy who wanders up and says 'I'll open it for you' go ahead and do that?

Every discipline has its version of muggles and we, well most of us anyhow, are bomb-muggles. He HAS to look at things from that point of view, what ever a website might have on it. Or a label for that matter. I wish it was not so but it is!