Regional Terms For Non-geocachers

Frau P

I'm a cacher from Washington state and most people here refer to non-cachers as "muggles". This comes from the Harry Potter books and is the term for non-magical folk. While caching in Oregon, I noticed several logs refering to non-cachers as "aliens". So, where do you cache and how to you refer to people who aren't as cool as us? :unsure:

Yea, I think there should be more terms for non-geocachers. Muggles are kind of kiddish sounding.

how about:

Unbelievers! (heh, it gives a sort of religious fanaticism to it)

ok... but how do you explain wanting to run around the woods looking for boxes containing mostly keep trinkets and kids toys? :unsure:

Yea, I think there should be more terms for non-geocachers.  Muggles are kind of kiddish sounding. 

how about:

Unbelievers!  (heh, it gives a sort of religious fanaticism to it)

ok... but how do you explain wanting to run around the woods looking for boxes containing mostly keep trinkets and kids toys? :unsure:

totally sane rational behavior performed by otherwise crazy peole?

I use the terms "non-geocachers", "folx who don't geocache" and "them."

I'd like to put a propeller cap on whomever came up with "muggle." That term just bothers me for some reason.

Heh, same here. When i first heard of that, I thought jeez, not everybody reads Harry Potter. What did they call non-geocachers before Harry Potter dominated the children's library?

Im gonna throw out some suggestions:

They, or Them (stealing your idea - i like it :unsure: )

Unenlightened Ones

Savages

Brutes

Barbarians

Heathens (nice satire)

Goblins

As far as the past tense:

Shanked

Jim-Jimmed

Took (as in "it got took")

Owned (nice for all-around use)

Acquired

Beat

Gobbled

Ascended to Heaven (my personal favorite)

Muggles are non geocachers. It's now a universal term. Except for the unbelievers who insist on inventing a new word for muggle. Since the term has nothing to do with Harry Potter (he was a wizard not a geocaher) you don’t need to read the book to get it. Oh and I think Harry Potter was around before Geocaching as we know it.

If you propose a new word, you will have your fans. There was a thread on the very topic of why muggles is a bad term and in that thread a new term was proposed. Interestingly enough that term didn’t' survive the thread very long.

Since most of my caches are way off the beaten path and I've only encountered a few people on the way in or out a name for those that I meet on the path is not even worth considering.

But muggles is a silly phrase for those few urbans that I have had problems with, but it works. Maybe just for simplification the word OTHERS were present work.

But what is good for one is not always good for the rest of us.

Muggles are non geocachers. It's now a universal term. Except for the unbelievers who insist on inventing a new word for muggle. Since the term has nothing to do with Harry Potter (he was a wizard not a geocaher) you don’t need to read the book to get it. Oh and I think Harry Potter was around before Geocaching as we know it.

If you propose a new word, you will have your fans. There was a thread on the very topic of why muggles is a bad term and in that thread a new term was proposed. Interestingly enough that term didn’t' survive the thread very long.

my guess is the muggle is close to smuggle.

sounds similar and communicates the danger of the muggle just by hearing it or reading it. and I've never read Harry Potter.

its a very effective word!

While caching in Oregon, I noticed several logs refering to non-cachers as "aliens". So, where do you cache and how to you refer to people who aren't as cool as us? :unsure:

How about normal? Altho, I think that in Oregon it's spelled Norml. ;)

heh. hey now. Oregon is cool. i was born there, and look at me.