Geocacher Found 40 Yo Wallet!

hedberg

A Swedish geocacher, hguo, was searching for the cache PHTG when he found an 40 year old wallet next to the cache. He started trying to locate the owner. In the wallet did he find bus ticket, photo of a school class and some more papers. He found the name of the owner, but he had some problems locating her.

Finally he found her. She had moved from Sweden to USA, and she was going back to Sweden in a couple of weeks.

I used to work as a news photographer and I told a former collegue, and a good friend of mine (the same person who introduced us into geocaching) about this story. Today did the owner of the wallet turn up in Göteborg, Sweden and met the geocacher who found the wallet. It was about 40 years ago it disapperead, but she couldn't remember the disappearence. But she found the key to her diary that she had to destroy the locker to open. :unsure:

Hguo, who found the wallet, went together with Maj-Britt (name of wallet owner) and fotojoc (the photograph) to the hidingplace of the cache and wallet, and took some photos.

This story will be published tomorrow in one of Swedens largest evening newspaper.

But wait, the story is not over. The woman tells everybody that her kids, living in the US, are geocachers!! Isn't that funny?

Here is a link to the cache, where you can find hguo logs and notes about the wallet, and also fotojoc log today with photo of everything!

PHTG

Edited by hedberg
Good story. All that and nobody blew up the wallet.

It was in Sweden, not US :unsure:

But actually, why not? Dynamite was invented by the Swedish man Alfred Nobel.

(Nobel Prize ya know - isn't that funny: Nobel Prize hands out a prize for world peace - and they money comes from dynamite industry!) ;)

I used to work as a photographer at the newspaper and can publish a copy of the feature without getting sued :unsure:

I will publish it later today (8 o'clock in Sunday morning here right now).

Can Today's Cacher contact me per email please, so can we arrange photos and everything!

JPG copy of the news paper page

English translation:

HEADLINE: Yes, it is mine!

Photo capture: RETURNED. Maj-Britt Liggett couldn't believe her ears when Hugo Flordal contacted her in the US and told her what he had found. Yesterday did she get her wallet back, a wallet that has been gone for more than 40 years.

-- And now the article: --

GÖTEBORG. Hugo Flordal, 27, was on a treasure hunt when he found an old wallet in a stone wall. After a couple of weeks searching did he find the owner - in USA. Yesterday did Maj-Britt Liggett get her wallet back, after 44 years.

Hugo Flordal is a member of the growing society of Geocaching, a modern form of treasure hunt with the help of a GPS. One night in late september did he find a red wallet deep inside a stone wall while treasure hunting.

Thought it was the "treasure"

- First did I think it was the stash I was looking for, but when I retrieved it did I see it was a dirty wallet, says Hugo.

Inside the wallet were for example a bus card from 1960 with the name Maj-Britt Ehrenholm. Hugo decided to contact the owner and after a couple of weeks searching, with the help of a genealogist, did he find her. In Kansas City, USA.

- When I found out that Maj-Britt emigrated to USA in the year 1965 did I almost give up, says Hugo.

Continued to search for her

Men Hugo didn't want to give up.

Yesterday could he return the wallet to Maj-Britt, during one of her annual visits to Sweden.

- I couldn't believe it was true when Hugo called me. I can't recall loosing my wallet, says Maj-Britt, 59.

The memories are returning back

But after scanning thru the movie tickets and tram tickets are her memory returning.

- Oh, it's so nice to see this again. I was a party girl at that time. The wallet must have fallen out of my handbag, does she say with a big smile.

Love stroke her in the US

After finishing her education as a labatory assistant in Göteborg did Maj-Britt take the last cruise ship, Kungsholm, to the USA in 1964. Her plans were to stay away from Sweden just one year. But then she met her husband Terry, got two kids and stayed in the USA.

One funny detail is that Maj-Britt son-in-law in the USA are also a geocacher.

--- End of article ---

There is also a "FACT ABOUT GEOCACHING", but I don't think I have to translate that. :unsure:

PS! I might have spelled some words wrong, but I hope you will understand the article. DS!

PSS! On the left side of the article is a photo of a rusty key. It goes to her old diary that she still have back home. She had to destroy the locker to open it. Now she has the key! ;) PSS!

Edited by hedberg