Another Situation Where The Police Were Called

gnbrotz

I just thought I'd share my recent experience involving the PA State Police and one of my caches. While a bit of a minor inconvenience, it was a far cry from some of the stories we've seen of caches being blown up.

Last Sunday I received the following in an e-mail:

On 10/31/04 I was called to check a suspicious ammo box on ----------------------------- Covered Bridge (edited to protect final location of multi-cache) in South West Madison Township, Perry County.  The caller believed that this ammo box could be some type of explosive.  Trooper Jon KLINE and I responded to this location, only to discover that this ammo box was a Geocache game piece.  In these modern times where there is a threat of terrorism, I do not think that it is appropriate to hide an ammo can under a bridge. This can was taken to the Pennsylvania State Police Newport Station, telephone #717-567-3110.  Refer to incident number H05-1435916.  Contact me to make arrangements to get this can back.

I replied:

Trooper Bennett,

Thank you for contacting me in regards to this cache.  I understand your concerns about the container.  I have been a geocacher for a little over three years and have hidden 13 caches.  In this time, have used a variety of containers depending on the location of the cache.  I felt that due to the very rural nature of the location, and my attempt to keep the cache hidden out of the site of "non-searchers", an ammo can would be a good choice for this location.  That cache had been hidden for almost two and a half years, and I was just at the bridge to replace the cache last weekend after it was washed away during the heavy rains about 5 weeks ago.

I work from 6:30 am until 3:00 pm Monday - Friday, though I am typically off by noon on Fridays.  That might be the best time for me to come up (I'm in Chambersburg).

I tried contacting you by phone upon receipt of your e-mail, but you were already gone for the day, so I am replying by e-mail so that this matter can be resolved as promptly as possible.

Would it be a problem in your mind if a brought a different, less "questionable" type of container along and transferred the items for re-hiding?  If you have any other questions about geocaching in general, I'd be glad to answer them as best I can.  You can also check out the home of geocaching on the internet at www.geocaching.com.

Sincerely,

Greg Rotz

"gnbrotz"

I then received this response:

You can pick this ammo box up any time you wish.  Refer to incident number H05-1435916 and to inventory number H5-7155.  I spoke with other officers at the station.  Our main concern is getting calls of suspicious items and having to waste manpower on incidents like this.  This is the only call that I am aware of in the last 2 years at this location.  If you can find a better hiding place on the bridge or like you said a less “questionable” type of container, we would appreciate it.

Yesterday, I picked up the cache. They were a little bit curious, so I explained it to them. While I don't think any of them are rushing out to participate, they were absolutely respectful and not condescending in any way. I also asked for, and received, a PA S.P. patch to add to the cache. I have transferred the items into a rubbermaid container and placed it back where it belongs.

Nicely done GNBROTZ and I am glad you kept this great cache going!

But you have to wonder...Perry county is one of the most rural counties in Pennsylvania. It is so rural that it is the only county in PA where there are no traffic lights! A terroist attack here?

I found this cache awhile ago. It was/is totally non-threatning. Fisherman park here and leave junk around all the time. It is under an old historical covered bridge, in the middle of nowhere that probably has less than 25 cars (and Amish Buggys) crossing it daily! I'm saddened to see that with some people the Terroist have already won. They have created so much fear and paranoia that common sense is now out the window.

Frankly, the cops should of left the cache alone and told the caller to stop watching so much TV and go find a hobby.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

There have been some covered bridges destroyed by arsonists in the past year. This may have been the reason suspicious activity was reported. It was good to see that the police were reasonable about this. Keep in mind like any other company they have budgets to and calls that waste resources can affect ones that need it.

This may have been the reason suspicious activity was reported.

Just to clarify: It was the presence of an ammo can, not human activity around the bridge that prompted the call to the police.

The cache location is not within site of any homes, farms or businesses. The person who called it in was a non-geocaching explorer, and is a resident of Lancaster county, not Perry county.

This may have been the reason suspicious activity was reported.

Just to clarify: It was the presence of an ammo can, not human activity around the bridge that prompted the call to the police.

The cache location is not within site of any homes, farms or businesses. The person who called it in was a non-geocaching explorer, and is a resident of Lancaster county, not Perry county.

Ahhhhhh that makes me scratch my head a bit less. "Them thar city folk do seem to be a bit more skiidish about such thangs! " :anibad:

I always thought that the best way to keep your cache from being seized or blown up was to keep in away from residential/Urban areas...just like you did! I guess in this day and age, "stuff" will still happen.

Glad it all worked out in the end!

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

Two tricks come to mind. Both I have done in the past and not had a problem since. Paint the ammo can a less military color. Farmall Red works well, but Ford Blue is better (get the paint at your local tractor supply store). Put a card in a zipilock bag on the outside, or with black paint write "If you have questions about this object then please contact <Your Name> <Your Telephone Number>.

The trooper said: "In these modern times where there is a threat of terrorism, I do not think that it is appropriate to hide an ammo can under a bridge."

Actually it is appropriate. If we aren't allowed to play our game any more, then score one for the people who hate our way of life. As long as it's not illegal. keep at it! :laughing:

If we aren't allowed to play our game any more, then score one for the people who hate our way of life.

No.

Score one for the republican zombies who think things like "All Muslims are Terrorists" and allow people like Tom Ridge to convince them to live in fear. It's the very people who extol the horrors of the "people who hate our way of life" who are destroying our way of life, through their simplistic fear-mongering. More Duct Tape for EVERYONE!

The reality of the situation is that, despite the fact that far too many people have incorrect ideas and live in a ridiculous state of fear (Anyone else notice most of them live nowhere near NYC?), we need to be conscious of these facts when we play our games.

Despite the usefulness of ammo cans as caches, should we consider using other containers more prevelantly for the time being, at least in 'sensitive' areas?

I've heard alot of good suggestions such as painting the caches a bright color, etc, but it still doesn't help the most important problem, which exhibits itself with one word:

IGNORANCE

I can wax philosophical on the thousands of compound ways in which ignorance rears it's ugly head, even in such a narrow scope as the topic at hand, but there are only so many problems we can fix.

The simple fact of the matter is that most people don't know what Geocaching is. Imagine how we look to the regular person ('Muggle', if you will, but I think it's using derogatory language like that which compounds our problem of public perception) when we're stumbling through the woods with a strange black box (My Legend C is black, I realise not All GPS' are) rummaging through tree stumps, etc. You'd get kind of nervous too, especially if the government was on the television all the time telling you that today's a "Red Day" and to duct tape your windows and wear your gas mask.

If we make more effort to educate these people, they'll recognise it for what it is. I remember a time when I first began playing paintball, when the field opened at our local ski area, when we were all seen as a bunch of gun-nut militia wackos, and people doing other summer recreation gave us a LOT of distance when we came near. The fact is it was mostly alot of 14 year old kids (was I really THAT young?) going out to have fun. I've never fired a firearm in my life.

It took alot of education, and I saw some wonderful things happen to teach people, like setting up a free target range and inviting people to try it out. When people saw that it was firing a little ball of paint, and it was a LOT OF FUN, they stopped looking at things with such skepticism.

Get out to your local parks; get involved with volunteer trail maintenance groups and start spreading the word about geocaching - what it is, how it works, and what to look for. Create pamphlets, convince your local park systems to create official cache placement rules, and publish information about geocaching in it's newsletters, etc.

With a little bit of work and education, people will start seeing a strange box under a bridge and their first reaction won't be "Oh my god someone is trying to blow up <insert your population 10 village here>!".

</rant> :lol:

bwmcadams is right on all counts.

In addition - in my opinion - caches should be hidden so non-geocachers can't find them. If you can't figure out a way for an ammo can to exist in a location without it being found by a non-geocacher, maybe it shouldn't be placed there.

(and I know that the majority of caches right now aren't this way)

Lastly, I think that the parent of this thread handled his situation well in PA.

-Aaron

As someone who works for the Dept of Homeland Security, I deal with that paronoia all day long. I like to leave it behind when I go geocaching! I have seen caches hidden in places that I would consider questionable. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. Allthough the ID does helps a bit when I get stopped while traipsing around with the GPS in my hand! :rolleyes: