Elite Members

hyker311

Why do people not give what they take!!!! I am thinking of just giving adequete givers the coordinates to my caches. What kind of person leaves a golf tee for a geo-coin etc......etc..

There is no doubt that topic this has been gone over & over.

I really work on my caches and very few people return anything of the same value.

They can afford a GPS though.

A fairly new disgruntled member.............Mark Wolf

Yes, this is brought up over and over. It boils down to the fact that way too many people are just OBLIVIOUS. They either don't realize or don't care that they are annoying other people.

These are the same type of people who let their kids run around screaming in a resturant, who take 20 items in the "10 items or less" lane at the grocery store, who pull up to the toll booth and then start to look for change, etc...etc...

After my 4th cache the other day and finding nothing but Mctoys I actually started asking myself "why do I do this". My 4 year old son reminded me.

Reading the logs and seeing what is being tradded and all the TNLN I cant help but feel our game is some how being lessened a bit by this. I would rather find a card than a mctoy. But I must admit my son liked finding these little "treasures". I have come to the realization that I myself need to try to do better and maybe lead by example. Another unfortunate thing I have noticed is that most cachers in my area dont read the forums. Maybe that would make a difference.

f5b7d591-1ad7-4ba1-8664-5a2979402a96.jpg

Or just shop for cache contents at the dollar store and tell yourself you'll only spend a max of $5 on the entire "starting contents" of the cache. Better yet, buy $5 worth of stuff, keep it in your bag and continually trade stuff out, etc.. and every now and then splurge and buy $5 worth of more stuff. Over time you'll have enough junk to throw into your own caches. Around here I don't think people really keep the stuff they take from caches... it just ends up in another nearby cache. Everyone trades the same stuff and is content doing so. We're more into travel bugs then we are the dumb little toys, plus we really just like the sense of adventure in being outside. I've been to two caching events down this way so far and not once have I heard anyone complain and the lack of valuable items or of any items at all. Everoyne was more interested in just having a good time and moving travel bugs around. I guess this just isn't a big issue with the cachers around here.

Edit: should have spell checked...

Edited by pcmike

I'm new to this but having fun. My wife and I are in it for the finding of the cache, the exercise and the general fun. I don't mind finding McToys. I personally have purchased a Travel bug to drop off somewhere. Made cards to drop in caches and bought some "junk" as some of you would call it, I'm sure, because there seem to be a lot of families involved and the kids would like it. I found some little pirate figures that seemed to fit into geocaching, because it is like we are hunting for treasure. Elite? Reading these forums makes me think a lot of people are snobs and elitist. Have some fun for goodness sakes. I'd be happy if the Travel bug actually arrived safely in the next cache, not worry about what the person left in it's place. Maybe the person thought they could help it along. But.. again, I'm new to this. Maybe I'll become Jaded in this like I have in many things. By the way, this is not directed at anyone in particular, it just seemed like a good place to post it. It is not meant as a flame, just a reminder to have fun!

It boils down to the fact that way too many people are just OBLIVIOUS

People are also greedy.

I'd go along with that, but mostly they're just oblivious like RK said.

hyker311, you've only been at this for a couple of months and have some obviously high expectations. My suggestion is to lower your expectations so you won't be so sorely disappointed. This is a very common problem.

And some folks, like us, enjoy the hunt and the find. Out of the 5 caches we have found so far, I think we have left items in 3, and took an item from the very first cache. Thats it. We always sign the log. I explained to the wife that part of the "rules" is that you trade equal or better. In the first cache we found, someone had placed a very nice perfume sample that Karen wanted and so I told her that since it seemed to be a 'nice' perfume, she should leave something at least as nice. She left some nice stationery and medication. I think that was more than fair considering the cost of the free perfume sample.

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Hmmm! Taken from the FAQ's.

How about some new rules perhaps!

1. Take something from the cache and have it appraised.

2. Return to the cache with something of greater value, with price tag attached. (for verification purposes)

3. Why bother?

:laughing:

I always leave something I would like to trade out, regardless of what is in the cache, or what I trade out.

I mostly leave my sig item, but other times leave a survival whistle, a tiny first-aid kit, buffalo nickels or steel 1943 pennies.

I don't play or trade based on what other people do, I do both based on how I feel about geocaching and/or myself. I assume that people who leave expired coupons, broken mctoys, etc do the same, and just feel differently about geocaching and/or themselves than I do.

My 2 year old son loves finding silly toys and little cars in caches, so as he gets older, he will probably start leaving some of those things in caches he visits; and although they are not what I want to find, I will feel good about his trades as well as mine.

nfa-jamie

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Hmmm!  Taken from the FAQ's. 

How about some new rules perhaps!

1. Take something from the cache and have it appraised.

2. Return to the cache with something of greater value, with price tag attached. (for verification purposes)

3. Why bother?

:laughing:

I thik you're missing the point. Many owners stock their caches with nice stuff and are understandibly disappointed when they go back 2 months later and find it full of expired Sanka coupons, toy soldiers with the head chewed by the family dog, rusty key rings and candy wrappers.

Nobody expects to get rich from the contents ofa cache, but there is nothing wrong with trading inexpensive, useful, or fun items. Too many people look at caches as great places to dump their trash.

I rarely trade, but there are a lot of families out there who bring their kids and do. I still recall the disappointed look on my 4 year nephew's face when he excitedly looked into the "treasure chest"only to find it full of literal garbage.

Edited by briansnat

Well....... :rolleyes::rolleyes: OK now!!!

I have a cache that is called a "Coin Cache" and I went to the trouble to find some cool coins to put in there. Here is the first to finds post

We took the Buffalo nickle and the 1904 nickle. Left Guatemalan 5, 10 and 25 centavo coins.

I do not think he traded up :laughing:

Don

Well....... :rolleyes::rolleyes: OK now!!!

I have a cache that is called a "Coin Cache" and I went to the trouble to find some cool coins to put in there. Here is the first to finds post

We took the Buffalo nickle and the 1904 nickle. Left Guatemalan 5, 10 and 25 centavo coins.

I do not think he traded up :laughing:

Don

I don't see that one as bad at all. Now if they left a Missouri quarter....

I've been known to send an email now and again when I see the somebody took a coin or something else I left and traded junk or nothing. Just a polite reminder that if you're going to take something good you should leave something good or the cache will turn into junk. Or a "it's only fair" line. Who knows what happens but I figure a few people trade a little better knowing that it's doing noticed what they are doing.

I've been known to send an email now and again when I see the somebody took a coin or something else I left and traded junk or nothing. Just a polite reminder that if you're going to take something good you should leave something good or the cache will turn into junk. Or a "it's only fair" line. Who knows what happens but I figure a few people trade a little better knowing that it's doing noticed what they are doing.

I really doubt it. In fact, if the person was just oblivious like another poster suggested you probably went a long way in discouraging the person from every going out and trying to find caches again (or at least for awhile). No one likes to yelled at for enjoying a hobby. If you're going to take the contents of a cache so seriously, you might as well give it up or just buy trinkets at the dollar store. :laughing:

I'm with Nurse Dave on this one, I do manage my caches very closely, and if I see something that has happened in a log that is not appropriate, I will without any reservations say something in an Email at the very least, and if it is a flagrant disrespect to the cache, I am not above deleating a log, and telling them why I did. I have had no problems that have led to the latter situation. But like the others here ,that have said that they put a lot of effort into their caches , I do also. My cache pages also illistrate a Trade Up, Trade Equal, or Don't Trade , graphic pulled from the selector , and this also helps a lot. I feel also that logs that reflect that the cache owner is serious and does very regular maintenance,and,makes a comment on the contents from time to time,and places this in his log. well it would not take much to see that the owner is serious about his work All said,If you want people to take you serious, then you have to be serious.

That's the spirit! How appalling, if I ever got an email complaining that I didn't "trade up, trade equal, etc..." and saw my log deleted; I'd probably swap your traditional out with a microcache or something "equally" as lame so that hopefully you'd learn a bit of tolerance (something that is obviously severely lacking here and in alot of places in America).

What kind of person leaves a golf tee for a geo-coin etc......etc..
I thought the geocoin was for traveling and so didn't need to be traded for.

if I'm wrong I got some adjusting to do.

You are correct....they are TBs in their own right. Unfortunately they usually don't travel far before dissapearing.

El Diablo

What it all comes down to is this is a hobby for the majority of people and they're simply oblivious to what they place like one poster said. Yell at enough hobbyists and they'll simply stop playing. Simple as that, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind. You'd rather have LESS caching opportunies just so long as someone doesn't leave a Mctoy. That's really quite pathetic; very poor attitude. Oh well, I'm glad there aren't any "Elite Members" in my general caching area. All the people I've met around here who geocache are some of the best people I've met in any hobby... very gracious, just a real treat to be around.

Brian

I thik you're missing the point. Many owners stock their caches with nice stuff and are understandibly disappointed when they go back 2 months later and find it full of expired Sanka coupons, toy soldiers with the head chewed by the family dog, rusty key rings and candy wrappers.

Nobody expects to get rich from the contents ofa cache, but there is nothing wrong with trading inexpensive, useful, or fun items. Too many people look at caches as great places to dump their trash.

I rarely trade, but there are a lot of families out there who bring their kids and do. I still recall the disappointed look on my 4 year nephew's face when he excitedly looked into the "treasure chest"only to find it full of literal garbage.

I think that just about says it all - very well said.

Brian

I think that just about says it all - very well said.

So, can I ask a question to our premium members?

Is this still a problem in "premium members only" caches?

Take a Mc toy leave a Mc toy I don't care. And never will. Come to raid the cache , or in your own words replace the cache with a micro because someone told you that they did not care for the lack of respect you seem to have in the caching comunity. Then there is a problem. I would say that the cachers in your area are really fantastic people,and must have the tolerance level of saints to remain in your company. Now if you don't like someone telling you that you did not do as the cache stipulated in advance of your arrival, and you showed up and did as you apparently do to pilfer caches. Then no I don't care if you disappear. There is nothing Elitist about this thought or line of thinking. No one will dispute that when a cache is authorized to be placed by the owner,along with this goes the responablity of taking care of it. Maintenance. And if need be, to ensure that others will enjoy this cache , I will continue to do as I have in the past , And If I never see you at one of my caches . Well then , the world will be a better place. This thread was made with you ,sadly in mind .

Take a Mc toy leave a Mc toy I don't care. And never will. Come to raid the cache , or in your own words replace the cache with a micro because someone told you that they did not care for the lack of respect you seem to have in the caching  comunity. Then there is a problem. I would say that the cachers in your area are really fantastic people,and must have the  tolerance level of saints to remain in your company. Now if you don't like someone telling you that you did not do as the cache stipulated in advance of your arrival, and you showed up and did as you apparently do to pilfer caches. Then no I don't care if you disappear. There is nothing Elitist about this thought or line of thinking.  No one will dispute that when a cache is authorized to be placed by the owner,along with this goes the responablity of taking care of it. Maintenance. And if need be, to ensure that others will enjoy this cache , I will continue to do as I have in the past , And If I never see you at one of my caches . Well then , the world will be a better place. This thread was made with you ,sadly in mind .

Haha... you're a piece of work. My post was meant to illustrate just how incrediblely dumb you're idea of deleting someone's log was. It seems to have made you rather upset... maybe now you know just how upset someone else would be if you were to delete their log simply because you didn't like what they 'traded.' Grow up. ;)

Just to make it quite clear, I've never plunder any cache and never planned or it, the post was just meant to make a point (which it obviously did). My fellow cachers around here are saints for the sheer fact that they are selfless and would probably never ever complain half as much as the people are in this thread and for that I am greatful.

To be honest I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread time after time, I guess its because I really can't believe how obessed some people really are. To me its disturbing. Oh well, some people have nothing better to worry about I guess. :unsure:

Edited by pcmike
Take a Mc toy leave a Mc toy I don't care. And never will. Come to raid the cache , or in your own words replace the cache with a micro because someone told you that they did not care for the lack of respect you seem to have in the caching  comunity. Then there is a problem. I would say that the cachers in your area are really fantastic people,and must have the  tolerance level of saints to remain in your company. Now if you don't like someone telling you that you did not do as the cache stipulated in advance of your arrival, and you showed up and did as you apparently do to pilfer caches. Then no I don't care if you disappear. There is nothing Elitist about this thought or line of thinking.  No one will dispute that when a cache is authorized to be placed by the owner,along with this goes the responablity of taking care of it. Maintenance. And if need be, to ensure that others will enjoy this cache , I will continue to do as I have in the past , And If I never see you at one of my caches . Well then , the world will be a better place. This thread was made with you ,sadly in mind .

Haha... you're a piece of work. My post was meant to illustrate just how incrediblely dumb you're idea of deleting someone's log was. It seems to have made you rather upset... maybe now you know just how upset someone else would be if you were to delete their log simply because you didn't like what they 'traded.' Grow up. ;)

Just to make it quite clear, I've never plunder any cache and never planned or it, the post was just meant to make a point (which it obviously did). My fellow cachers around here are saints for the sheer fact that they are selfless and would probably never ever complain half as much as the people are in this thread and for that I am greatful.

To be honest I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread time after time, I guess its because I really can't believe how obessed some people really are. To me its disturbing. Oh well, some people have nothing better to worry about I guess. :unsure:

Deleting a log is deleting history. When you place a cache it becomes public domain. Past history shows us that good cache items are quickly replaced with junk. If you place a cache you need to accept that this is more than likely to happen to your cache.

You cannot force people to trade to your standards. Deleting their logs accomplishes nothing but hard feelings. This is a game, nothing more. Most people really don't care what's in the cache, they just want a good hunt.

Also remember that one persons junk, is anothers treasure.

El Diablo

Uh, isn't it about time for a moderator to quote the "respect" part of the forum guidelines? :unsure:

No Mod needed....just respect.

There is nothing wrong with a spirited debate. However personal attacks accomplish nothing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just remember that they may vary from others. RESPECT that!

El Diablo

Dang you guys, it’s just a game, lighten up!

If you are worrying (or arguing) about cache contents you need a reality check.

Cache content quality deteriorates with time, some in less time than others, it’s just a fact of caching. So accept it or get over it, what ever. When you place something in a cache consider it gone, why worry about what someone left in it’s place? If you don’t like what people put in your cache take it out. Move on people.

I agree. I didn't mean to carry it on this long, I was just trying to help him/her understand that deleting someone's log is just as bad if not worse than the original cacher leaving the 'wrong item.' ;) Anyhow, anyone watching the repeat of the SNL Presidential Debates Bash? Too funny! :unsure:

If you will read back again I said If the cache was flagrantly disrespected That I would Deleat the log. By this is ment that if the cache is compromised intentionally , or defaced , or made unhealthy in anyway, The history is really of no value to me at this point. As the cache is not to the abuser. Take the full content as it was said. As also stated i have not had to go to that extent. If you will look in other threads, of what other people place in a cache. You will see how this is well founded from others records placed in these Forums. You might want to take and use their full content also. You are having a big problem pcmike with your ability to stay on track. Your grasping to have others speak you mind which is a problem for you. As for others trading the way that I want them to, to the letter , no it won't happen. But to relize that it wont happen and just walk away is not a solution either. I do not tell them what to trade ,for , or with. Only that they respect the cache and it's contents and trade equally at the least , or don't trade. Not hard to understand. And it is all placed in the cache page where it can be found and read easily, before you make any decision to hunt the cache. If this is not the way you like to cache ( which apparently it not) then don't choose this cache.

To me it seems like you're missing the point of geocaching, but thats just my opinion. I don't choose what cache to go out and look for based on the trading policy! I try every cache that is within ~30mi radius equally. I'm more interested in where the cache takes me, not what I plan on getting from it or leaving in it!

Saxondog, I've stayed on track with my comments. They've all been systematic and the ones that appeared slightly off-track were done so intentionally to prove my point. I guess some people are just more interested in the creative aspect of geocaching (that being in making the cache), whereas others are more interested in the adventure. Then there are those who are interested in both. At this point I guess we can just agree that you're more concerned with the creative aspect of geocaching and consider whats in your cache more important then the adventure the cacher had to undergo in order to find your cache. To some thats perfectly acceptable, I just tend to disagree with that school of thought. We could probably also agree that I'm more concerned with the adventure and could care less what someone left in my cache so long as the person had a great time finding it. To you that may seem boring (I guess?). Oh well, we disagree and it seems that most people go 50/50 on this issue as well.

I'll try to make this my last post in this thread. :unsure:

To me it seems like you're missing the point of geocaching, but thats just my opinion. I don't choose what cache to go out and look for based on the trading policy! I try every cache that is within ~30mi radius equally. I'm more interested in where the cache takes me, not what I plan on getting from it or leaving in it!

Saxondog, I've stayed on track with my comments. They've all been systematic and the ones that appeared slightly off-track were done so intentionally to prove my point. I guess some people are just more interested in the creative aspect of geocaching (that being in making the cache), whereas others are more interested in the adventure. Then there are those who are interested in both. At this point I guess we can just agree that you're more concerned with the creative aspect of geocaching and consider whats in your cache more important then the adventure the cacher had to undergo in order to find your cache. To some thats perfectly acceptable, I just tend to disagree with that school of thought. We could probably also agree that I'm more concerned with the adventure and could care less what someone left in my cache so long as the person had a great time finding it. To you that may seem boring (I guess?). Oh well, we disagree and it seems that most people go 50/50 on this issue as well.

Any game that takes the cooperation of other people whom you do not know is going to take a lot of patience, respect, and forgiveness over minor greiviances.

As I asked earlier, couldnt part of this problem be solved by making well-thought out caches for premium members only?

Or is this still a problem even then?

You two might find this interesting reading. Trading

El Diablo

I'd go along with that, but mostly they're just oblivious like RK.

Some people will do anything for a laugh. :unsure:B)

John

It took me a minute to figure out what you were saying and I can only say that was a direct misquote. ;)

The first one was a misquote too, since I made the oblivious comment, not RK B)

Any game that takes the cooperation of other people whom you do not know is going to take a lot of patience, respect, and forgiveness over minor greiviances.

As I asked earlier, couldnt part of this problem be solved by making well-thought out caches for premium members only?

Or is this still a problem even then?

I'm not sure if you've got some sort of agenda or not (as you seem to be trying to prove something and if so I applaud you for your slyness), but of course this is an issue even among premium members as one person's notion of "equal" is definitely NOT always the same as another person's notion of "equal." ;)

I agree that we will continue to disagree in this matter. You are very correct that we both invision caching in different ways. Thank goodness. As for the adventure, well the contents are part of the adventure, so I don't count out adventure in any degree, as you alledge. I don't cache to any particular radius as you have stated that you do . And as for any point made, Not really. So agreeably , I see no more need to post to you on this subject. Good luck