Replacing plundered or damaged caches

custer

I thought it was a good deed to just do this...

Now to be fair, the owner of the cache had stated they did not intend to replace it themselves as they thought it would just be plundered again. However someone before me had ALSO replaced it after it had been plundered, and the cache owner had nothing but praise for them. It was noted as lost again, so I also made a trip to replace it with somethign I thought would last.

I got a rather unpleasant email from the person who originally placed the cache, after which he archived it. I didn't even show as having credit for finding it anymore. They had not edited the cache to make it a virtual one, though apparently it was their intent.

If it had been formally changed to virtual I would have left it alone - if it had been archived I never would have seen it. As it was I drove 20 miles to do a good deed and got feedback quite a bit different from what I thought I would.

http://custer37.livejournal.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Dwight J. Dutton:

Now to be fair, the owner of the cache had stated they did not intend to replace it themselves as they thought it would just be plundered again. However someone before me had ALSO replaced it after it had been plundered, and the cache owner had nothing but praise for them. It was noted as lost again, so I also made a trip to replace it with somethign I thought would last.

I got a rather unpleasant email from the person who originally placed the cache, after which he archived it. I didn't even show as having credit for finding it anymore. They had not edited the cache to make it a virtual one, though apparently it was their intent.

If it had been formally changed to virtual I would have left it alone - if it had been archived I never would have seen it. As it was I drove 20 miles to do a good deed and got feedback quite a bit different from what I thought I would.

Chalk it up to experience and forget it. It's hard to figure people out sometimes. I think you were just trying to do the right thing. icon_biggrin.gif

ENJOY THE OUTDOORS

quote:

Chalk it up to experience and forget it. It's hard to figure people out sometimes. I think you were just trying to do the right thing. icon_biggrin.gif

ENJOY THE OUTDOORS

Well it it isn't listed as a find, because you didn't find it. Anyway, the thought was nice, but you should have e-mailed the owner for permission first.

I did something similar. After several no finds by others on a cache that I had previously found, I told the owner I would check on it and asked him if it was OK to replace it if it was gone. He said he didn't think it was missing, but said go ahead. I couldn't find it where I thought it had been, so I replaced it. Suddenly there was a flurry of finds all describing the original cache. So now there are two caches, probably within a few feet of each other. I'll remove mine shortly.

Hey, on the bright side, you have a now have a cache out there, so why not create your own cache page for it

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Because the owner has archived the cache, therefore abandoning the location, feel free to create your own cache page for the location or a location very close by ...

I am rather going to set this whole hobby aside for awhile. I turned to it for fun and now I'm getting hate mail from "dredpirateroberts" so I will find other things to do with my spare time.

Heavens no!

(In my best Casey Kasem impression)

It topped the charts the week of February 13, 1971, and was the number two hit for the year. Let's join the Osmonds in their hit, "One Bad Apple"

One bad apple don´t spoil the whole bunch, girl.

Oh, give it one more try before you give up on love.

One bad apple don´t spoil the whole bunch girl.

Oh, I don´t care what they say,

I don´t care what you heard.

Stick around. Most of us are really nice.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

why would you get a find when you were the one to have placed a cache there?

if these ppl had archived the cache, then you might as well just the cache yourself. the only differce would be who the listed owner is. but dont if the ppl who had first placed a cache there have made a virtual in of very close to that spot.

whack.gif

quote:

But I'm going to stick to benchmarks for awhile. Don't have the fun of trading stuff but I won't step on any toes that way.

Besides, there are at least 50 of them within 5 miles of my house. Already found 2, but they don't show on my page as finds even though I put in logs for them. Probably too new a feature I suppose.

I don't know if they ever will count ... I've found approximately 25 of them in the last few days. (The most time consuming part is attaching the photos ... which I haven't done yet!)

There is a benchmark area in the forums, too. So far, my biggest pet peeve is the lack of individual "benchmarks found" listings, like in the cache area, that remove benchmarks I've found from the list of all benchmarks. I've also found that if a benchmark hasn't been recovered since 1934, there's a 100% chance it's no longer there. icon_wink.gif

quote:

But I'm going to stick to benchmarks for awhile. Don't have the fun of trading stuff but I won't step on any toes that way.

Besides, there are at least 50 of them within 5 miles of my house. Already found 2, but they don't show on my page as finds even though I put in logs for them. Probably too new a feature I suppose.

I don't know if they ever will count ... I've found approximately 25 of them in the last few days. (The most time consuming part is attaching the photos ... which I haven't done yet!)

There is a benchmark area in the forums, too. So far, my biggest pet peeve is the lack of individual "benchmarks found" listings, like in the cache area, that remove benchmarks I've found from the list of all benchmarks. I've also found that if a benchmark hasn't been recovered since 1934, there's a 100% chance it's no longer there. icon_wink.gif

Dwight, if you can make it to any of the event caches in your area, I highly recommend it.

I attended one recently, and it was a lot of fun meeting other geocachers. I got a lot of my questions answered in "real time" which was also very helpful.

It might be a good way to get more enthused about the sport, and get back into regular geocaching.

Shannah

My cache was stolen and I intend to replace it in a more secure location and under more rocks! The worst part was lossing the T BUG as It's no use to the vandals. The original coordinates will be a small tuperware with instuctions"coordinates" that lead to the larger more secure cache for T BUGS and other goodies not far away.

Mine was hit 3 times by a couple of a-holes calling themselves Frank and Jesse James. They removed everything and left trash and taunting notes in the log book. There's one other local cache that I know they've hit.

I archived the cache. I'm thinking of replacing it with a members-only cache. Didn't think I'd ever have to resort to that, but what else can I do?

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

Mine was hit 3 times by a couple of a-holes calling themselves Frank and Jesse James. ... I'm thinking of replacing it with a members-only cache. Didn't think I'd ever have to resort to that, but what else can I do?

Sorry to hear about your problems, but unfortunately, one can't presume the cache thieves aren't members.

quote:

I got a rather unpleasant email from the person who originally placed the cache, after which he archived it.

Let me get this straight. The cache owner didn't want the cache replaced the first time, because they thought it would be plundered again. It was, and the owner was right. Then, even though you knew the owner didn't want the cache replaced a second time, and you knew it was obviously in a vulnerable location, you replaced it anyway.

Sorry, but I don't blame the cache owner for being a little PO'ed. After it was taken the second time, they wanted to do the smart thing, cut their losses, and be done with it. Maybe they didn't handle it in the most tactful way, but you should have left well enough alone, and respected the cache owner's wished.

As others have said, you should have let the owner archive the cache, then set up your own, if you wish.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Sorry, but I don't blame the cache owner for being a little PO'ed. After it was taken the second time, they wanted to do the smart thing, cut their losses, and be done with it.

Be done with it, maybe, but since the cache had been replaced two times by others, it was not their losses they were cutting. I agree that someone else should be free to establish a cache at the former cache location.

We have a cache site here in Santa Clarita that was placed by a charter member over a year ago. The person who did the placing has placed three other caches, but all of them are hundreds of miles apart, so I get the feeling they are not being maintained.

The person who placed them was very acive in geocaching until November of last year when they suddenly ceased activity completely. The iste is listed as active, not unavailable. Naturally only the owner of the cache or a site admin can do anything about that. File people have since gone looking for the cache and left sad log entries about it.

The site is abandoned, the cacher is inactive, what now?

quote:
Originally posted by Dwight J. Dutton:The site is abandoned, the cacher is inactive, what now?

You do have the option to post a "This cache should be archived" log. Be sure, however, that you are certain that the cache is no longer there, either by your own confirmation (if you've found it previously) or another reputable cachers confirmation (who has found it previously).

The "This cache should be archived" option was put in place for just such a thing, but should not be abused.

Jamie