What Do I Need To Map Geocaches On A Topo Map

Kit Fox

Hello,

I use a Meridian Gold, GSAK (registered), and Cachemate. I wanted to find a way to "map an area" with geocaches so that I can cache faster. Here is an example of what I want to do.

8b2773d7-70d6-4249-8325-cadd29f5f609.jpg

What is the best software for doing this, while using GSAK?

Thanks in advance!

Bill,

I bet you can do that with any commercial topo map software. National Geographic, DeLorme, and others have USGS quad maps on CD, about $100/state.

Or you can use the Garmin/Magellan topo software on the computer, although the final maps won't be as nice. In order to make maps that will fit into the GPS units, the topo lines are rather crude.

There's also the DeLorme TopoUSA. It has extra features such as 3D maps and shading/lighting. It's only $100 for the entire country, but it's not exact duplicates of USGS quad maps. This is the software I selected for using on my computer - I had trouble justifying the expense of paying $100 for each state I travel to, just to get USGS quads.

You might also have luck with freeware GIS programs. Terrain, MicroDem, and 3Dem can communicate directly with GPS units.

Good Luck in your search,

Bob

My goal is to add the cache waypoints onto a printable map. This way it is easier for me to plan a route into an area to find caches. My mapping software on my Merigold is the basic type. It doesn't show all of the Forest Service roads that I need to use, to access caches deep within a national forest.

This would save me time when planning remote caches. Does anyone have any experience with Delorme Topo USA 5.0? Will it work. I found this software at Costco for $89.99.

Thanks for all the help!

Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox

Marky,

Thanks for showing me that cool program, Is there a link to instructions for using it. I figured out how to add multiple coordinates, but I don't know how to re-label them. All I got were different colored dots.

One of these days, when I finish all my honey-dos, I plan on making the 100 mile (one way) drive to visit the caches laid out by Team Nohoch and all the other desert dwellers.

Thanks again!

Bill,

Thanks for showing me that cool program, Is there a link to instructions for using it. I figured out how to add multiple coordinates, but I don't know how to re-label them. All I got were different colored dots.

If you click on the Marker Type link, it will take you to a page that shows you all the various marker types. To make automatically numbered markers, start with the value 209 and make sure the "Auto Increment" checkbox is checked. If it is not checked, all of the markers will be the same.

--Marky

If you want to go the no software route, you can use my TerraServer front end.  I entered in all those waypoints in and here is the result.  That is the topo map view.  You can switch to photo image view as well.  Pretty neat for free.

Ok Marky and others, here's what I got; three step gooey goodness.

- Create a GSAK view which just has lat and long.

(when you have your terra-able (get it) list switch to the lat long view)

- Select Print in GSAK

- Press Preview and select the resulting lat longs in the browser

-Click that forementioned terrajavabookmarklet

Presto! interactive topo/photo map of all those points.

Anyone find a better GSAK TerraViewer connection?

-t-

I contacted the owner of the map and he told me he uses National Geographic Topo software. I found it on sale for under 80.00 bucks. Since I can do it for free, i'm in no rush to buy it :ph34r: .

I have been playing with the Terraserver version but am not sure how to write notes next to the waypoints.

Here is the cache that has "peaked" my interest: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

The cache has not been found since January of 2002.

I saved a topo picture and an aerial shot. I'm trying to see if it is viable to skip the long trail (recommended by the owner) and go directly to the cache by following other canyons. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bill,