Searching for a cache by name

Outdoors Lady

quote:
Also, if I'm visiting a particular mountain or hiking area how can I determine if there's a cache there?

Use the geocache.com Search and enter the latitude and longitude of the place you plan to visit. Don't have the coordinates? Some maps will have lat/lon printed along the edges. Using these scales you can make an estimate good enough to tell you if there are any caches nearby.

When I go a-hunting, I usually get a bunch of caches in the same area--for the first cache, I'll write down the GC number, and from the page previously mentioned in this forum (seek/hide a cache), there is a place to input the GC number, and once I log that cache, I'll go to the nearest caches link on that cache page to find the next cache I hit, and go from there.

Think Globally, Act Locally

Life is good.

MnGCA-Button.gif

One way to search for caches in an area you are visiting is to go to the main page and select the state from the drop down menu on the right and click go. Once on the state, you can select the nearest city from the drop down menu at the top left.

Another tool I like to use is the nearby cache link on a cache page. I often go the my cache page and look at my log list, clicking on the cache nearest to the area I want to visit, then hit "nearby caches". This list will give direction and distance, so if I know I am going north of this cache, I will look for one the appropriate distance and direction. This method worked well for me in the UK, where I did not know the names of the counties and the search mechanism was not as developed as that in the US. I would get one cache, look for nearby caches, pick one in the right direction, and work my way toward the cache.