Hunting Season

Team Cache-away

In a rural area known as Oak Lake, Just north of Trenton an unfortunate incident has occured. A woman was walking her dog along Fish and Game club road, this road is well travelled and has numerous houses along it. While walking her dog, the dog was shot by hunters, the woman is reportedly and understandably quite upset. According to news reports, charges are pending. So please exercise extreme caution when out caching, or wait until Sundays to do your caching.

hmmmmm. hunters usually wait until they know they have a good clean shot on the animal. so, either he/she heard it coming and shot at first sight or shot it purposely. im thinking the hunter waited until they just saw the outline of the pooch and fired. if thats the case they're no hunter, more like someone just smart enough to pass the firearms course and is excited to be allowed to shoot stuff. unless it was a great dane a dog is significantly smaller than anything you could hunt. people like that should make sure they know how to hunt before doing so. incidents like this are going to unlitmatly have the government issue mandatory hunting courses for everyone with a firearm. idiots.

theres my 2 cents, folks

nothingface

This reminded me of a story I once heard about farmers spraypainting the words "HORSE" or "COW" on the sides of their animals so they didn't get shot in deer hunting season. I googled for it, and it turns out to be an urban legend.

On a related note, the part of the Rideau Trail that leads to our Loads of Toadstools cache is closed for a week this hunting season because the landowners will be using high powered rifles. I was about to add the word indiscriminately, but figured it would be in poor taste. :o

This reminded me of a story I once heard about farmers spraypainting the words "HORSE" or "COW" on the sides of their animals so they didn't get shot in deer hunting season. I googled for it, and it turns out to be an urban legend.

Not a legend. in some areas of N.B. farmers actually put orange vests on their cows and horses for protection.

unless it was a great dane a dog is significantly smaller than anything you could hunt.

Sory I can not agree. many dogs can appear to be wolf, fox or coyote. All of which may be hunted in various areas.

I am not pro or con hunting but all should be aware. Hunters orange should always be worn by both people and pets if walking in a woodland area. Depending on the zone or province you are in you may be at risk only a couple hundred meters from a poulated area.

WEAR BLAZE ORANGE. it is for your own saftety.

I am not trying to support what happened in this case. It was certainly a horrible thing to happen. Just the risk is there so dress for it this time of year.

Just heard on the 11 a.m. news on CJBQ radio that the dog was a Labrador, they didn't mention the colour, not that it matters. The size etc. between a deer and a dog in this part of the country brings into question the hunters ability to identify his target. Thankfully it was not a child in a brown coat!!. Anyway the news also reported that the dog, although seriously injured will survive.

Just heard on the 11 a.m. news on CJBQ radio that the dog was a Labrador, they didn't mention the colour, not that it matters. The size etc. between a deer and a dog in this part of the country brings into question the hunters ability to identify his target. Thankfully it was not a child in a brown coat!!. Anyway the news also reported that the dog, although seriously injured will survive.

You mistakenly assume that all hunters are after deer. I am a hunter and have never hunted deer. As an earlier comment said, "many dogs can appear to be wolf, fox or coyote. All of which may be hunted in various areas". This does not absolve the hunter who shot the dog, since he should have properly identified his target before releasing the safety.

I hope criminal charges are laid.

When you register a firearm in Canada, it is standard for the police to fire few rounds and collect the expended ammo for evidence? (Ie. bore catalogue of firearms). If so, I sincerely hope they nail this ****er to the wall.

I'd like to ask everyone to keep in mind that there are always jackasses in the world. People will be irreponsible or reckless or do stupid things.

For example, there are geocachers who place caches at schools or other sensitive areas, leave caches exposed to get vandalized or stolen, or damage the natural environment looking for a cache. Those are the few people, while most of us (I hope) are responsible and try to do our best for the cache, our fellow cachers and the land. However, those few are the people who threaten the sport -- look at all the restrictions, land closures, bomb scares, etc. happening in the US right now -- and we all pay the consequences.

You can see where I am going here... There will always be a few stupid hunters. If you took all the guns away, those people would undoubtedly find a new way to hurt themselves and others.

Meanwhile, people who are responsible, ethical hunters suffer for it.

Regards,

Anthony

I hope criminal charges are laid.

When you register a firearm in Canada, it is standard for the police to fire few rounds and collect the expended ammo for evidence? (Ie. bore catalogue of firearms). If so, I sincerely hope they nail this ****er to the wall.

I think that is a little harsh. I'm sure nailing one to the wall is excessive punishment for attempted dog murder.

Perhaps letting the dog chew on his privates would be more appropriate. :D

First of all thats sad for the woman to loose her dog like that... :D When you register a firearm in Canada the " Police " do not fire a round out of your gun and keep the fired round for future evidence... :D To do this is assuming everyone who owns a firearm is going to commit some crime ...We are not all " Bad Guy's" Thats just silly, and a very shallow way to think... :blink:

And anyone who is going to walk, jog, ride a bike, or geocache on crown land or even private property (with permission), Between Oct 1 and Dec 31 I would suggest you wear bright coloured clothing,, maybe hunters orange would be a good start.. It never hurts to take precautions...

Merry Christmas To All! :D

Sliver & Lucy

Edited by Sliver & Lucy

While I agree that the incident was tragic, the points above have all been made.

A responsible hunter always identifies his/her target and beyond.

We are accountable for every shot that leaves our rifles (thus if an accident occurs, we are responsible).

The police do not take samples of shots. The gun registry is nothing more than a vast money sucking pit that does extremely little to ensure the safety of Canadians.

While wearing bright clothing is a good idea, most of Southern Ontario does not allow hunting in the conservation areas in the populated regions. If someone is hunting there, it is ILLEGAL and should be reported as such.

While I've been excited at the sound of approaching breaking branches while sitting on my deer stand, not a single person has ever come close to being standing on the wrong side of my barrel.

Mike