Gps Units And Software

NoJo.B

Keep in mind that MapSource maps are the only maps that you can load into your Vista. MapSource Topo U.S. will work on the Vista, but I don't think any MapSource maps will tell you if a road is paved or not. They just generally show where roads are located. And only the major roads on Topo are are actually specifically labeled. Most are just labeled as "Road".

There may be other brands of Topo map programs out there that will communicate with your GPSr that might specifically tell you whether a road is paved or not. But again, you will not be able to upload such map data into your Vista.

DeLorme and National Geographic are two popular brands of such Topo maps. You might want to look into them and see if they have paved/gravel/dirt information.

Edited by Neo_Geo

As said before the only maps you can upload to your Garmin are Mapsource. I Have a Legend and I use Mapsource Topo. I like it and it does most everything I want but it does not for the most part get into that much detail as you want. I do have National Geographic's national parks. It has much better detail but you cant upload the maps to you GPSr. One thing I have done is run N.G. on my laptop with my Legend plugged into it. It will put your current position on the map as you go. Check out their web sites and others.I have not tried any of the other Mapsourse stuff. One of those may have what you need.

Have a Garmin Etrex Vista. Wanting to know what software to get for it. That will work with it. Want Map Source Topographical USA software, that will tell us if the road is paved, gravel, dirt.

Thanks.

Mapsource Topo is my preferred software, but on my version I really can't tell which roads are paved and which are not.