newbie-what else do i need?

pqcachers

i bought a garmin geko 201 for my husband's birthday and now i need to know what else we need to start right away! we have 2 small children so we won't be doing any strenous caches for a long time.

do i need a topo map? compass? i would appreciate your help so i can make the gift complete...thanks!

Welcome to the game!!!

Does the gecko come with a cable so that you can download waypoints to the unit? That is almost a necessity (sp?). I have a small backpack that has a pen, small trade items, notepad and the like. I started with easy caches (actually still on them since I only have logged six caches icon_wink.gif ). Good luck, have fun and be safe...

DiverMan

Dive Down, Dive Deep

quote:
do i need a topo map? compass? i would appreciate your help so i can make the gift complete...thanks!

Depends on the cache. I'm a minimalist. For easy caches within a few minutes of the car, all I really use is a compass and a spare set of batteries. A good map of the streets of the area is also helpful.

As for the longer list, think of the things you'd take on a hike of two or three hours, mostly a bit of food, water, spare jacket. A pocket first aid kit with bandaids, a tube of antibiotic goop, ibuprofen, and antihistamines gets me through almost anything.

Everyone has individual preferences and needs; yours will emerge as you do a few caches. Start small and add the "I wish I had" items as they occur to you -- but avoid trying to carry the contents of your local camping store. Ain't no fun to be a Sherpa.

Best, BD

First, a data cable for computer hookup. Makes life easy.

For most caches, nothing else. 80-90 percent of caches are in city, or town parks and all you need is anything you'd take for a walk in the park.

For the other caches; ones that involve hikes, bring anything you'd take on a dayhike. A compass is always good. A topo map of the area (the topozone link on the cache page will provide this), water, spare clothing, lunch, etc...

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

We use a jogging stroller for the little ones, we have 2, 2yrold toddlers. Even if the cache' is an easy one, it may take you off the trail a bit and trying to chase a small child, looking for the cache', log, then make sure everything is back in its place can be unnerving with young children roaming about. The regular strollers wheels don't push well off trial in leaves and sticks.

more of a question than a reply.....does anyone have a concise sheet printable of the faqs of caching? please email to me

I saw one ion a cahce while in scotland and would love to have a copy of that for whe i side any new caches myself....thank you in advance for your time

Tujo

tujo02@yahoo.ca