Cost Of Premium Membership Ouside Usa

Ystervark

:o I am a believer of the principal, as the yankees would say :"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

With everyone contributing to the costs of this website, the benefits of scale will really pay off an make great benefits cheaper for everyone.

The only problem is that members outside the USA in countries with weak currencies will bite the dust ! In South Africa with an exchange rate of 1$ = R6.20 (or more), annual membership of approx. R200 is a bit heavy on the pocket.

There is no easy solution for this problem I suppose. Any ideas ?

The only problem is that members outside the USA in countries with weak currencies will bite the dust ! In South Africa with an exchange rate of 1$ = R6.20 (or more), annual membership of approx. R200 is a bit heavy on the pocket.

Move to England! Then your exchange rate will be $1 = £0.54.

Seriously, I thought US currency was at a pretty universal low. I'm surprised to hear there are places where the current exchange rate is unfavorable. Are there premium features that you need, or are you just trying to be a good cyber-citizen?

I agree. I am also in South Africa and the exchange rate is a killer.

I share the sentiments.

This a great sport, with a professional web-site to support it. The premium membership fees help to maintain the site, therefore, I'd be happy to contribute, but as "Ystervark" rightly says, the cost is way too high from here.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy?

I think Mopar makes a valid point. The exchange rate really does not mean anything. If you live in Japan $30 would be somewhere around 3,200 Yen.

Although I don't know that the price of gas really tells the whole story. The US for the most part has always had some of the cheapest gas prices in the world. Yes I know it does not seem that way. It really becomes a question of cost of living. What do people make, what does it cost people to live.

What's the answer. I am not sure there is one. Some places in the world just do not poduce the salaries that are produced in other parts of the world. To some degree that is even true within the US. $500,000 may get you some small kind of condo or something in New York City, if you are lucky. In other places it will get you a huge house and a lot of acres of land to roam. So my guess is that $30 will mean different things to each of those people as well and they are both using the same currency.

Not saying it is right or wrong. It is just the way things are. Its a big world out there. I am guessing there are places in the world where those that are considered very well off would barely rise to what some would consider to be middle class here.

Edited by GrizzlyJohn

Isn't that whats wonderful about the world and the United States in general? :o So many people come to the US and take jobs that normal Americans would not even think of taking and to them they're making SO MUCH MONEY that they can afford to even send most of it home and in doing so they''re family back home and eventually them (if they return) are among the upper crust in just a few years! It's really something. :)

How about a list of several common items other than Gas?

How much in Rand does it take to buy...

*A loaf of bread? U.S. $2.50

*A cup of coffee? (I don't drink coffee - what is it?)

*The daily newspaper? U.S. $0.35 - $0.50

*A gallon of milk? U.S. $2.50 - $3.50

*A can of Coca-cola from a vending machine? U.S. $0.50

So in the U.S., a monthly membership of $3 is the equivalent to less than two loaves of bread, six colas (from a vending machine), 6 newspapers (I buy the Chicago Tribune), or one gallon of milk.

Edited by Markwell
If everyone paid a little vs. a few pay, membership could be as low as $2.50 a person. That's based on a quick calculation with some numbers assumed.

If everyone paid a little vs. a few pay, membership could be as low as $0.25 a person. That's also based on a quick calculation with some numbers assumed.

It just assumes different numbers. :):o

If everyone paid a little vs. a few pay, membership could be as low as $2.50 a person.  That's based on a quick calculation with some numbers assumed.

If everyone paid a little vs. a few pay, membership could be as low as $0.25 a person. That's also based on a quick calculation with some numbers assumed.

It just assumes different numbers. :):o

I like your numbers better.

I agree with GJ, RK, and Markwell (can I do that all in one sentence?). I think a better comparison is made to the general cost of living. I chose gasoline simply because it was the first commodity that came to mind that was consumed in the course of geocaching (most of us have to drive to get to caching areas), is easily tracked, and is fairly evenly priced in a specific region (in general, most gas dealers are within a fraction of a percent of each other).

I thought about comparing the cost of membership to the cost of AA batteries, but even here those prices vary wildly. I can buy a 24pk for $7 (.29 each) at Walmart, or I can pay $3 for a 2pk (1.50 each) at a convenience store.

Well the thing I would say to look at is how much does a GPS cost?

I always shake my head when people talk about the cost of membership but will spend a couple of hundred on GPS. We have several known brands and models with known prices and it is very well related to the cost of caching for everyone. Almost all of us use a GPS. That might give us a good ratio to factor cost.

I agree with GJ, RK, and Markwell (can I do that all in one sentence?).

Can you just feel the love. :o

Edited by GrizzlyJohn

I understand where you where coming from Mopar on your gasoline suggestion.

Gasoline however is not a good barometer of the value of another countries currency when compared to the US. In Europe for example (I know the orginal poster mentioned Africa) many people do not own cars, they take public transportation. This is why people from Europe always ask where the nearest train station is. A person I knew from Spain mentioned that under half of their citizens have drivers licenses because of the population density. Also, most European countries do now have a large, square milage wise when compared to the US. Just think of it as driving to a different country in Europe is like driving from New York to Pennsylvania.

Gasoline is also higher in Hawaii, but think how many square miles are on the different islands. A tank of gas will last you a lot longer.

Here's my two-cents worth. (Or thirty dollars worth.)

I spend less time geocaching than most of you, I suspect, but I'm on the brink of coughing up my $30 even though I probably won't make much use of the premium features. Basically, the geocaching.com Web site is worth the equivalent of $2.50 a month even for the two or three geocaching outings I am likely to make during that time.

In my own work, I run a "free" Web site which the company I work for maintains at considerable expense (including my salary.) These things don't come cheap (except for my salary.)

Geocaching.com offers a really good service that keeps our game/sport/hobby/lunacy running. Sure, Jeremy must get some revenue from advertising and the geocaching doodads he sells, but why shouldn't he make a reasonable profit?

Consider this: Geocaching.com has made a committment to never charge for a basic membership, but that is not the same as a guarantee the site will always be available.

Are we all ready to move our caches to NavicCache? And how long would that remain free if the backers had to expand server capacity?

Frankly, for what we get, $30 seems to be a bargain.

Edited by The Old Bet Brigade
:laughing: I am a believer of the principal, as the yankees would say :"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

With everyone contributing to the costs of this website, the benefits of scale will really pay off an make great benefits cheaper for everyone.

Is there any way you could send me something worth $30 American, let me buy you a membership, send you the password, (which you can change) & go from there or am I missing something? It's very possible I am but would be glad to help if I can.

[...]

The same mismatch is well know in the world of printed books for students.

A USA book costing $50 in the US when exported to say India will be equivalent to the cost of one month living and studying there.

The solution in this case has been: reprint the books in India for this market only.

Of course the license fees are also on Indian level. But they sell 10 times more of those standaard studybooks in India then in the USA! So that compensates.

Maybe something like this can be done with the membership. Those foreign memberships could be limited to access to local data only.

Limiting the database to South Africa only would be quite acceptable, but - I for one, really enjoy seeing what the rest of the world gets up to. Maybe the membership-only database could be restricted.

On the other hand - two account names - one paid-for and one general, could work as well.

I am doing the math on some of the posts' queries - will give feedback when complete.

If you work the cost as a percentage of income, it gives a much better figure.

For instance, assuming an income of $5000.00 per month and R5000.00 per month.

Go buy a camera.

A reasonable digital camera here, with memory stick and 4x zoom, and USB interface, for instance will cost around R2500.00

50% of monthly income.

Give me an idea of what a comparable camera would cost in USA, and see the difference!

Now look at the Canon SLR Digital and we're looking at R12 500.00 for the body only. No lens, no additional memory.

It hurts!!!!!!!

A Magellan Explorist 100 = R1395.00

Meridian Platinum, 64MB card, Mapsend and PC cable = R5850.00

Vehicle mount R235.00, Carry case = R145.00

Power cable = R200.00

Scary - one of the reasons there are so few geocachers here.

*A can of Coca-cola from a vending machine? U.S. $0.50

I have read that Coca-cola is one of the most consistantly-priced item worldwide. Let me see if I can find a link to the article...

As a hardcore drinker of Coke I would have to agree with you that Coke has stayed much the same price over the years but if you work it out it still cost more per litre of gas here in Canada 600ml Coke $1.25 1 litre Reg Gas $0.88 :laughing:

Go buy a camera.

A reasonable digital camera here, with memory stick and 4x zoom, and USB interface, for instance will cost around R2500.00

50% of monthly income.

Give me an idea of what a comparable camera would cost in USA, and see the difference!

It would be about $300.00 here or about 6% of monthly income if I did the math right.

El Diablo

Another possible solution to your problem of price for Membership might be to form a "Caching Team" with other cachers and everyone pay a part of the membership. You get to cache together and enjoy their company and also share caching expenses, such as the price of gasoline, batteries, picnic basket supplies. It's hard to split up the fun part, though (someone always get more than their share, it seems like. :laughing: ).

Three different cachers each paying $10.oo and then being able to use the premium features (pocket queries, etc.).

Just curious as to what the price of a computer and Internet service is down there?

John

Go buy a camera.

50% of monthly income.

It would be about $300.00 here or about 6% of monthly income if I did the math right.

El Diablo

For a valid comparison you need to compare $5,000 US to R30,000 for equal monthly income. R5000 = $806.45 US

John

Well, the best parameter to compare is the per capita income measured in purchasing power parity because this will reflect both the income differences and the differences in cost of living. In 2002, this number was $36,200 for the U.S. and $10,000 for South Africa.

So, Americans, to get a picture of how paying $30 for an annual membership feels to a South African, imagine that you would pay $110 per year. And then of course the service you get is lower quality, too: you get blank, gray maps on the website.

Go buy a camera.

50% of monthly income.

El Diablo

For a valid comparison you need to compare $5,000 US to R30,000 for equal monthly income. R5000 = $806.45 US

John

That's what I was thinking. Gotta remember the exchange rate!

That would make the digital camera about $400 (R2500) where in the US it's about $300. To make the math easy, 10% of the American price just happens to be the cost of a year's membership on Geocaching.com. Using the same ratio, you'd be paying $40 in South Africa

The whole point was that the incomes are NOT equal.

Americans are about 3.5 times more prosperous than South Africans.

Right. It really dosen't matter what the amount of income is, what matters is the percentage of income it takes to buy something. the cost of living so to speak.

You could live like a king in Mexico on a salary of 30,000.00 a year, but in New York you would be in poverty on the same amount of income.

So if in South Africa on a income of R5000 it takes 50% of income to buy a camera VS in the U.S on the same income it would only take 6%.

That's clear as mud...right? :unsure:

El Diablo

That's exactly what I'm saying. And as I demonstrated above, the premium membership fee is as high to a South African as $110 would be to an American. And on top of that he gets poorer service.

GC.com tries to be a global site but it's primarily a US site. Many countries have their own geocaching websites.

:unsure: I am a believer of the principal, as the yankees would say :"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Look at the brightside - most software and electronic hardware vendors charge a premium over US prices for selling in to the Europe, Asia-Pacific and other parts of the world. Many claim it's for the increased localized support and costs associated with doing business in those countries but for the most part the additional COGs, localization, and support is far beneath the markup. (plus the same happens with costs of non-US technical goods which often sell for less in the US than other places, often even in the country of origin) These companies generally charge what the market will bear and it's more than it needs/ought to be because "everyone" does it (and of course the mad competitive scramble to hold-on-to or develop a strong North American market which competitively lowers prices here)

So, cheers to Geocaching.com as they do not appear to be pulling that or many similar stunts that we've have gotten so used to.

-t-

Of course, they probably will as soon as they get gobbled by Microsoft, or funded by VC, or convinced to go on vacation while their brother in law runs the ship for a few months.

Edited by twilliams

I have no problems with the membership fee being the same 30$ for everyone. There will always be changes in the currency rates, sometimes favorable to me, sometimes to the next guy. However, if customers are paying the same price for a certain service, they all should get the same amount of service for their money's worth.

So far the premium membership features have been about the same for everyone. Sure, the geocaching.com maps outside the US suck, and the zip code search doesn't work in every country, but they're still among the basic membership features. As much as I hope I could have some of those cool features too, I won't complain (much :P), since after all, I'm not paying for get them.

I'm all for adding extra features for premium members, but they should be the same for everyone who's paying.

So far the premium membership features have been about the same for everyone. Sure, the geocaching.com maps outside the US suck, and the zip code search doesn't work in every country, but they're still among the basic membership features. As much as I hope I could have some of those cool features too, I won't complain (much :P), since after all, I'm not paying for get them.

But you are paying for the ability to pan and zoom the otherwise useless maps.

If I had to pay to acquire maps for each country outside the US, we would have to charge you significantly higher for a membership.

Then how about charging less for not offering 100% service for everyone? :lol:

Or, what if I promised to use only the US maps (e.g. when visiting the US)? :P