The 2005 Midwest Geobash

Bjorn74

I was hoping it was something like that. I'm glad of it, because we wanted to "upgrade" from day-tripper to a campsite (there's gonna just be too much stuff going on to day-trip it!) and we couldn't as long as the page was inaccessible.

We've signed up and posted a note to the cache page that we just got site 60N.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there, and meeting all the FAMOUS cachers that are gonna be there! :lol:

The real plan is to wait until Friday, July 15th, to make it a MOC. We'd get a lot more mileage that way :D

I don't remember who made the logo inquiry, but, yes, Alabama, Alaska and Arizona... There is an official logo and it will be available in at least one form. That's what's helping to supply firewood and all sorts of goodies at base camp. Surely we'll need some ways to distinguish Geocachers from all those muggles who bring their GPS units camping in the middle of the Great Black Swamp... as well...

Is that technically a run-on sentence?

The real plan is to wait until Friday, July 15th, to make it a MOC. We'd get a lot more mileage that way :unsure:

I don't remember who made the logo inquiry, but, yes, Alabama, Alaska and Arizona... There is an official logo and it will be available in at least one form. That's what's helping to supply firewood and all sorts of goodies at base camp. Surely we'll need some ways to distinguish Geocachers from all those muggles who bring their GPS units camping in the middle of the Great Black Swamp... as well...

i made the logo inquiry. will it still have a flamingo on it? <_<:angry:

The real plan is to wait until Friday, July 15th, to make it a MOC.  We'd get a lot more mileage that way :rolleyes:

I don't remember who made the logo inquiry, but, yes, Alabama, Alaska and Arizona... There is an official logo and it will be available in at least one form.  That's what's helping to supply firewood and all sorts of goodies at base camp.  Surely we'll need some ways to distinguish Geocachers from all those muggles who bring their GPS units camping in the middle of the Great Black Swamp...  as well...

i made the logo inquiry. will it still have a flamingo on it? :laughing::rolleyes:

I do believe that the answer is yes. It's just hard to tell how the bird fits on the stuff. We'll have some details soon.

The real plan is to wait until Friday, July 15th, to make it a MOC.  We'd get a lot more mileage that way :huh:

I don't remember who made the logo inquiry, but, yes, Alabama, Alaska and Arizona... There is an official logo and it will be available in at least one form.  That's what's helping to supply firewood and all sorts of goodies at base camp.  Surely we'll need some ways to distinguish Geocachers from all those muggles who bring their GPS units camping in the middle of the Great Black Swamp...  as well...

i made the logo inquiry. will it still have a flamingo on it? :(:blink:

I do believe that the answer is yes. It's just hard to tell how the bird fits on the stuff. We'll have some details soon.

cool! saving my pennies so i can buy a bunch of them. :mad:

We now have reservations in for people from:

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Missouri

Ohio

The three states that we targeted and haven't heard anything from are Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin isn't a huge surprise since it's quite a haul. The others aren't Midwestern, so that's likely their excuse...

More planning is underway at Geocache Ohio. If you don't have dinner plans for Friday, July 15th, you may want to see what your options are.

The Cheeseheads are from Wisconsin. They're on 68N with Stunod.

I suppose I should now update our state list...

(maybe) Alabama

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Missouri

Nebraska

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

West Virginia (?)

Wisconsin

Still waitin' on the Canadians, eh? Maybe once Curling season is over, they get back to caching and register to come down. That goes for the Minnesotans too, I recon...

Edited by Bjorn74

(maybe) Alabama

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Missouri

Nebraska

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

West Virginia (?)

Wisconsin

Still waitin' on the Canadians, eh? Maybe once Curling season is over, they get back to caching and register to come down. That goes for the Minnesotans too, I recon...

I know you have at least one Canadian comming to the event ... Wulf of Team Tigger is from Canada ! :P

Star

(maybe) Alabama

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Missouri

Nebraska

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

West Virginia (?)

Wisconsin

International Representation:

Canada

So we've got one Canadian and a couple refugees who now live in Columbus (I'm not sure how much 2trux counts as Canadian, since he started State-side...). Maybe we can convince a gaggle of Canadians to join us, still.

Still waitin' on the Canadians, eh?  Maybe once Curling season is over, they get back to caching and register to come down.  That goes for the Minnesotans too, I recon...

I know you have at least one Canadian comming to the event ... Wulf of Team Tigger is from Canada ! :huh:

Star

As Bjorn74 said - we'll have another Canadian. Although Candlelady lives in the US - she is a Canadian. We live in Ohio and visit Canada quite often.

Bjorn's statement about me (2trux) is slightly misleading. The first caches I actually logged (long story behind it), were in the GTA (Toronto). I found/logged some of chris-mouse & mrcpu virtual caches back in 8/03.

We're looking forward to meeting other Canadian's. We hope to have a Canadian flag at our campsite!

hi there,

i've been geocaching sporadically since 2002, but have never met another geocacher (other than the people I converted myself..haha)! i never really participate on the forums either... but this sounds like a fun event! My question is: do most of you people who are going know each other?

My hubby and I are from New Castle, IN and the idea of meeting other geocachers sounds like fun... Thanks for the info!

Amanda

I think the fair answer is that nearly everyone going knows at least one other family or person. Most are active in their local, regional, or state group and found out about it that way.

However, with likely attendence of more than 300 geocachers, I think it's fair to say that everyone will have someone new to meet. You'll just have an advantage, having met yourself already and all...

To bump this up, I think I'll add some of the stuff that's being talked about at GeocacheOhio.com.

• Friday Night Theme Dinners
  • Sunday Afternoon CITO
  • Saturday Afternoon "Ask the Reviewers"
  • Saturday Night Diceless Campfire RPG
  • Geocachers from around the country
  • Silly Hat Contest
  • Camp Site Theme Contest
  • FLAMINGOS?

As of this moment, there are 6 sites left in the main campground.

To bump this up, I think I'll add some of the stuff that's being talked about at GeocacheOhio.com.
  • Friday Night Theme Dinners
  • Sunday Afternoon CITO
  • Saturday Afternoon "Ask the Reviewers"
  • Saturday Night Diceless Campfire RPG
  • Geocachers from around the country
  • Silly Hat Contest
  • Camp Site Theme Contest
  • FLAMINGOS?

As of this moment, there are 6 sites left in the main campground.

flamingos??? i'm going bankrupt buying flamingos. :rolleyes::(

Things are starting to pick up again for the GeoBash. To see the latest proposed Saturday activities at the Pavillion or the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday hijinks around the campgrounds, visit the forums at Geocache Ohio.

Anyone who has park official ties, please invite them to our sessions on Saturday dealing with Park districts, rules, permits, and all the things that get tied into that. We should have some ODNR people there as well as some OPRA members.

Another quick update.

Plans are becoming final. Coins should be available soon. The first T-shirt style is available now. Check the GeocacheOhio Forums for more information.

We're out of camp sites in the main area. It's time to cram more in to have 500 geocachers at this event. We've got plenty of room to have everyone there if we find places to stay overnight. "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here," may be a popular phrase. There are still available camping sites in the south campground and there are decently local hotels and private campgrounds nearby.

Come on over!

For the sake of all that is good on these forums, can folks refrain from posting about shirts and such in this forum? My understanding is that Groundspeak would prefer groups and organizations not promote or talk about their auxillary products on any Groundspeak resources. There is a whole lot more about this event at GeocacheOhio.com. We can talk about shirts, coins and stuff over there.

But, anyone watching is invited to invited any and all Park staff or legislators or whoever to the GeoBash. We're going to try to work up something just for them. And it will be nice...

We have set up a web site for geobash as we intend (right now) to do this somehow every year. Check it out at http://www.midwestgeobash.org

The coins and shirts are how we're paying for this event so I don't think there are any issues. The sale of auxillary products is a no-profit venture, every nickel goes back into the event.

There's also been pretty big updates to the event site including updates to the saturday schedule with volunteers to show schedules, etc.

It sounds like there are some people interested in renting the Group Camp area for the weekend. If I hear anything more, I'll post a note. The one issue I can think of is that they have campers and it's a primative group site, which usually means no campers.

But, if anyone else is interested, post a note on the cache page.

With Bjorn74's consent, I merged together two threads about GeoBash, and deleted some off-topic fluff (mainly of my own doing). I also renamed this thread to be more descriptive, and edited the very first post to link to the GeoBash event page and website.

Thanks.

Recent developments include a Mobile Wireless Internet hub rolling into the South Camping Area. It's going to be quite a weekend. I guess I won't have to take the extra day of vacation since I'll be able to "make the donuts" from down there.

Thanks. 

Recent developments include a Mobile Wireless Internet hub rolling into the South Camping Area.  It's going to be quite a weekend.  I guess I won't have to take the extra day of vacation since I'll be able to "make the donuts" from down there.

Will the mobile unit be making trips to the North side? Otherwise, how's that gonna help us North area folks?

Edited by BVCY Swim

Flamingos are super-cool creatures and are laid back and enjoy the good things in life, just like your organizers for the Midwest GeoBash, hence the flamingo is our friend and mascot -- and I am from near Parma, Ohio for which the pink flamingo lawn ornament is mandatory... :)

or something like that...

SherwoodFlamingo, er SherwoodForest

Whats the deal with the flamingos?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm from Michigan.

what's wrong with flamingos? :lol: i'm from michigan.

don't nobody be dissing no flamingos. :lol:

I apologize to the flamingos and to those who are fans of the flamingos. I meant no ill will or mockery towards either. I thought the flamingo was an Ohio thing and being from Michigan I was unfamilar with its relevance to this event or to geocaching.

I was just trying to find out what was the deal with the flamingos. Do I need to bring a flamingo with me to this event to identify to others that I am a geocacher?

Will the mobile unit be making trips to the North side? Otherwise, how's that gonna help us North area folks?

My motor home is 37' so once setup (slides out, hooked up etc) not too easy to move around!

All are welcome to stop by and log your finds! Site 53s. Or we can set up times that I will be there. Any Ideas?

Also please note that IF the site does not have a clear southern exposure, may not be able to get the signal. Description says full sun, so that is encouraging.

Looking forward to our first event and meeting people.

Flamingo costumes might not hurt, but remember that in the tropical climate of the southern states, it might get rather warm, so take hint from Keystone and wear a block of ice on your head.

I need to reaffirm Trippy's note to the MiGO contingent... The Air In Ohio IS Breathable. No need for Oxygen tanks.

And wait till you see next year's bird. It won't be quite so easy to theme up on it.