The 2005 Midwest Geobash

Bjorn74

There's a Regional Gathering in the planning stages that will happen July 15 - 17 somewhere near the IN/MI/OH intersection. The intention is to have a laid back weekend for cachers from the MidWest, MidAtlantic and Canada to be able to meet and compare notes.

At this point, just make sure to leave your calendar open. Details will probably start firming up in early December and then the GC page will go up in January.

Edited by moderator to add the following links where readers can go to obtain more information about this event:

The GeocacheOhio Forums

The Event Cache itself

Edited by Keystone
Ahhhhhhh!  Pigs blowin' in the wind!

Count me in as a "probably" from the Beavercreek/Xenia, OH timewarp area of COG and OKIC.

Like Yellow Springs? :blink:

I actually live in Beavercreek. Yellow Springs is still far out, tho. That's where all the hippies go to retire! Still has the same good old '60s protest feel about it!

Edited by BVCY Swim
Ahhhhhhh!  Pigs blowin' in the wind!

Count me in as a "probably" from the Beavercreek/Xenia, OH timewarp area of COG and OKIC.

Like Yellow Springs? :blink:

I actually live in Beavercreek. Yellow Springs is still far out, tho. That's where all the hippies go to retire! Still has the same good old '60s protest feel about it!

My mom was just there, to visit a garden they have. I was there several years ago, on a bicycle tour (I remember Devil's Backbone, Clifton Mills, etc.), and the area really is unique! I loved it!

This should act as a bump. But also an update.

July 15th - 17th 2005

Harrison Lake State Park in Fayette,Ohio.

When making your travel plans, please take into account reserving a site at Harrison Lake. Below is a map of the park. The area bordered in green is where we plan to base the GeoHQ. Once we have a home base reserved, we'll have a site # for reference. You can reserve a site 6 months in advance of your arrival. If you are planning to show up on the 15th of July, you can register on January 15th.

harrison.gif

On Saturday, July 16th, we will have a picnic pavillion of some sort for a massive Geocacher party. Details are being worked out. If you'd like to offer something as an idea or even as something to lead/provide, please email myself or Trippy with details.

It may be a good idea to invite your DNR officials to the weekend. Ohio DNR is a huge supporter of our sport. It would be great to have an opportunity to get state officials together to compare notes especially in a Pro-Caching atmosphere. We are almost 100% confident that ONDR folks will be there with us for a lot of the weekend.

We haven't mentioned what areas are invited to this event. The primary target for the event is the Eastern Mid-West, or Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri. The site was chosen to be within a 6 hour drive for the largest population of cachers in this area. We anticipate participation from areas like Erie and Pittsburgh, PA, Canada, and several eXtreme cachers for whom a 8 to 10 hour drive or a flight is not a big deal.

I accidently did some caching in the area with my girlfriend from Fort Wayne last weekend. Of course, this won't help prove to all you flatlanders that Ohio has Terrain, but it's still got some rolling hills and the lake effect stuff like flash thunderstorms and clear star-gazing skies.

I'm all ready to get my reservation in come January. I'm also hoping to have learned something about playing guitar by then. We should set Friday night aside for a Geo-Campfire Sing-Along or something. I'll volunteer my fire pit.

Hmmmmmm, are pigs allowed?

BBQ?

Psychotic

:P:P:D

We've got a place in Hillsdale County on Lake Diane. Might make it that weekend if we are at the property!

OMG! Lake Diane! My cousin used to have a cottage there when I was a kid. We actually knew the man that did that lake. It was named after his daughter. (If I remember all this correctly!) I learned how to water ski on that lake! (And was nearly killed doing it once, too! Hint: Don't ski on the outside of the wake when the boat makes a sharp turn in the other direction. Or at least LET GO. :o )

Edited by Pipanella

It looks like the campground is filling up pretty quick with geocachers. If you get a site in the 90 - 120 range you'll be in the mix. The rest is untouched, so far. It's still six months away, but it won't hurt to plan on this.

Edited by Bjorn74

Base Camp is officially sites 100-102N. One of those sites may have a pop-up.

With just less than six months left, we have filled most of what we anticipated being the Geocachers Only Area. If you want to get in that area, you'll need to reserve early. So far, though, there is only one other reservation in the campground.

Hmmmmmm, are pigs allowed?

BBQ?

Psychotic

:o:o:o

We've got a place in Hillsdale County on Lake Diane. Might make it that weekend if we are at the property!

OMG! Lake Diane! My cousin used to have a cottage there when I was a kid. We actually knew the man that did that lake. It was named after his daughter. (If I remember all this correctly!) I learned how to water ski on that lake! (And was nearly killed doing it once, too! Hint: Don't ski on the outside of the wake when the boat makes a sharp turn in the other direction. Or at least LET GO. :rolleyes: )

Beautiful lake isn't it! Great fishing, ski-ing and the 4th. of July fireworks actually rival Detroits! :D Didn't know about how the lake was named thou...Thanks for that little piece of trivia! :lol:

:huh: There is a lot of talk about this on th COG site (www.cogeocaching.org), you may want to check out that discussion for more info! :huh:

There will also be a new forum opening up for all things Geobash Related soon. It has other things, too, but mostly Forums about the Geobash, for now...

I think that means that Pip is dedicating her site (99N) to the Felines. GeoCat show? Auburn isn't all that far away, though. But you know that...

There is early progress with the event. Expect some announcements either at the end of this week or early next. A lot of information and unofficial plans are being dissemminated at www.geocacheohio.com

Make that campsite 83N -also dedicated to the felines with Wild Road & possibly CachingCats on the property. We're looking to make a cat banner to fly high over the campsite. With Catlon up the way in his campsite- this camp out will be one flying hairball after another. Ahhhhh, cat spit- nature's miracle cure.

I love my cats.

We now have reservations in for people from:

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Missouri

Ohio

The three states that we targeted and haven't heard anything from are Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin isn't a huge surprise since it's quite a haul. The others aren't Midwestern, so that's likely their excuse...

More planning is underway at Geocache Ohio. If you don't have dinner plans for Friday, July 15th, you may want to see what your options are.

Edited by Bjorn74