Map Man

Yes i watched the programe and thought it was really interesting to know how the OS map was mapped, who would have thought that by the time they had completed the task they would only have been 42cm ( a little over 17" ) and that was over a distance of 500 miles from the first base line that was measured.

have been trying to watch all these programes but i think i missed a couple?

;):)

And this geocache family watched it as well. They've all been interesting in an anorak sort of way.

Perhpas someone can answer why the Geocache UKGridReferences are always so far out when I have our unit on WGS84 - or should I switch it over to another datum?

Looking back to the tube one - to think he only ever got paid a fiver for the tube map!

( time to shed the anorak now )

why the Geocache UKGridReferences are always so far out when I have our unit on WGS84 - or should I switch it over to another datum?

Yes Ordnance Survey has its own datum - my GPS switches automatically but not all do.

As for the programme - fascinating - not least when he found his way over decidedly unfriendly terrain using dead reckoning. How about the original mapmakers without a nice accurate map to navigate by?

Tile reference letters - each square is 1km across and the ref for each square goes up to 99. This would mean enough squares for a box 100km by 100km - not enough for the UK

So, in order to allow the larger area, they then added a ref for each 100k box.

Each grid reference without the letters appears several times in the UK - with the letters, just the once.

The Liddington Base Line - 11kms long - along the Ridgeway near Swindon.

While we are on about grid refs - While out on Mickle Fell the other week, me and my walking pal kept spotting small concrete posts with numbers counting up as we headed to the peak but they were on the other side of the fence, has anyone got any ideas what they were for as we were baffled.

Oh and another point dont no-body even think about setting up a cache there as it is on private land and is an overshoot for the army, has several small streams (one big wide one) and is just heather, rabbits, sheep and grouse! so it would be a level 5+/5+ if there is such a grade!