Other Uses

Well I use mine for when the fog comes down on the hills and the compass is nigh on useless! but my daughter uses it for the virtual maze game and getting in a spin with Gekoids (Garmin 6ocs) It is also fun to use on Autoroute when trying to get to caches by road and realising the road finishes up as a dirt track!! ;)

Anyone use their GPS for anything else? What fun can you have with it?

I connect mine to my iPaq and use a program called TomTom Navigator, which is sat-nav for the car.

I also use Memory-Map Navigator, which is digital OS mapping and helps when planning anything from a caching day out to finding a good cache-rich area for a UK holiday (hello Buckinghamshire!).

I also use it out on my bicycle for recording where I have cycles on tracks off road and overlaying to the digital map on a PC to see where I went.

I also use it for countryside walks, by saving a route to it and just following the arrow (saves getting the map out).

I used it when I was doing training runs for an event I did recently. I needed to run 3km at a time, so I ran for 1.5km and turned round and ran home again.

I used it on a large beach in Cornwall last year to write my name on the screen!

Lots of stuff really in addition to Geocaching ;)

It is also fun to use on Autoroute when trying to get to caches by road

You mean you use it for finding your way in the car, let me have details please.

You need Laptop (or very long mains cable for desktop ;) )

Seriously, you need a cable to go between serial port and the GPS unit.

I have a copy of Autoroute 2001. Under tools menu there is an option for GPS but this is greyed out. Open the CD rather than running it and you will find a folder for GPS. There is an extra bit to install. The GPS entry will now work and allow you to configure your GPS receiver to display your current location.

Nowehere near as good as a real satnav system but does work.

Also possible to import all the caches from GSAK to Autoroute so you can have little flags all over your map.

I have a power inverter in my car. Plugs into cigarette lighter and converts back to 240v ac so I can plug in my laptop charger.

This set up does not power the gps unit as far as I know.

Have to say, I don't use it in anger this way as I have a satnav system on my PDA - Navman system, but I have tested it and it works, or at least it did till I damaged the serial lead and can only get contact by holding the connector in place against the GPS unit.

AH, the hours of endless fun this hobby can give, converting file types, importing, exporting...

For shock therapy & 4 minute miles, I`ve found using a GPSr very useful...

What you need to do is leave your very expensive GPSr on a rock near a cache, say 1 miles from the car.. walk back, once in the car, realise you`ve left said item near the cache, and race back to the cache, before the sheep think it`s something nice to eat. :o

Only to realise you actually had it in your pocket all the time.. (I know I`ve done it) :)

Pengy

Slight edit for artistic licence!

For shock therapy & 4 minute miles,  I`ve found using a GPSr very useful...........I know I`ve done it  :o 

4 minute mile, I remember when I could do something along the lines of a 5 min 30 second mile, now I do it a lot slower.

I wonder what your 4 minute mile may have looked and sounded like??

Something like this perhaps?? :o:)

Edit: Turn the volume up, it sounds a lot better.

Edited by Haggis Hunter

I've used mine as a speedo/odometer when out boating, you'd be amazed at the difference between 4mph and 5.5mph on water!

When discussing this in a pub with another boater and boasting about my 6.5mph run on a tidal stretch (but my max displacement speed is 6.2mph) the local boy/girl racers were listening in and pi**ing themselves laughing at the speeds involved ;) I'd like to see how fast their cars are in water! ;)

Must add that geocaching by river is great fun.

oh oh how about using GPS to track your wayward spouses movements. He/she said they where going to tesco's after work but GPSr's tracklog shows Luvers Lane...

This has already been done in a divorce case, in the states, the Track log was entered as part of the evidance (sorry can't find the actual story), the wife, witnessed by a friend placed the GPSr in the back window of her husbands car. On retreving it they used the backtrack to follow the car to a motel 200 miles away from were the husband should have been. A few questions later, and a flash of his mug shot confirmed that he was at the motel with some who was not his wife. A belive it was posted by a US cacher who's also a laywer.

And the lesson to be learned? If you are going to cheat on your other half, make sure you search the car first for a GPSr! ;)

Dave ;)

Providing entertainment to Italians on motorways.

True story follows:

Arrive at Florence airport with family and in true anorak style say to all: "Have GPS - can find villa". Turn on GPS - Place GPS on roof to get a fix. Place baggage in boot. Place kids in rear of car. Place long suffering wife (without map) in passenger seat. Drive off.

"OK J, read me the GPS and give me directions ...... "

"I havent got it" - Panto style argument follows. Then .....

"Dad - there's an awful banging here on the roof"

"Shut up - find the GPS and anyway the roads are full of potholes - of course there's a banging"

"Dad .... its really bad banging"

"I cant stop its a motorway - where's the GPS, why are all these Italians flashing in my rear mirror, why are they waving at me when they over take"

"I think we better pull off here and look for the GPS" says long suffering wife.

We pull off the motorway - search the inside of the car (not the outside) and after several road sign reading errors end up back at Florence airport. Kids in back are still complaining about the banging. Dad is still complaining about all the flashing and gesticulating Italian drivers. Italian Villa still 50 kms away.

Dad finally gets out of car and walks round to the boot. There hanging off the rear radio aerial of the car, trapped by its strap is the GPS unit - switched on of course - and with our tortuous track around Florence duly recorded.

Dad gets in the car with GPS.

"Where did you find the GPS" asks long suffering wife. "On the roof of course - ask a silly question - get a silly answer!"

Here's one I wish i had used ...

Got a taxi at Rome Ciampino airport, drove past the Colliseum and 20 minutes later dropped off cab sharers at their hotel. 5 Euro ride later, get to our hotel.

Go for a walk, 1st hotel 100 yards from ours, and Coliseum 2 minute walk down the road!

IF I had used tracking, i would have seen on the screen that we were going in circles and avoided much of the cab fare!

Waypoint hotel in unknown or foreign city, always walk in roughly the right direction home. Waypoint the entrance to a HUGE market etc etc etc....

oh oh how about using GPS to track your wayward spouses movements. He/she said they where going to tesco's after work but GPSr's tracklog shows Luvers Lane...

The opposite can also be said.

When I'm out on a cache run, I'm able to prove when and where I've been.

Saves a lot of questions. I suppose I could give it to a friend who could drive round for a while thus proving how faithful I was being!! :unsure: