Ttc: Time To Cache

Gaddiel

I've been considering including this information on all of my caches. For us, it would be really useful to know how much time a particular cache could be expected to take. Something like an estimate of the total time it should take from car to cache site (not including the actual hunt). Would this information be useful to anyone else? Any reasons NOT to include this info?

I've been considering including this information on all of my caches.  For us, it would be really useful to know how much time a particular cache could be expected to take.  Something like an estimate of the total time it should take from car to cache site (not including the actual hunt).  Would this information be useful to anyone else?  Any reasons NOT to include this info?

This is not an easy question, Each cacher has his or her own way to search for a cache so the time it would take them to find the cache would not be the same. Then you have the experiance of the cacher, an experianced cacher may find a cache in a minute while a cacher with just a few finds might take 15 or 20 minutes and still not find the cache. Then lets factor in the style of the hide, we have a local cacher who hides his caches in one or two ways. For those of use who knowhis style, we find his rather quickly, for those who do not know his style it takes longer, I have seen this happen while caching with others cachers.

I it is a good idea, but I do not think it would be easy to place a time for find guide. You could ask cachers to time them selves on the find and hope they remember to list their time.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

No. Your perception of how long it should take to find the cache is heavily skewed in that you know exactly where it is. As a result, that information would be mostly useless.

I have been to caches that took some folks minutes to find it where it took me weeks. I have been to caches that were seemingly too easy to find and yet others had trouble with it. Time to find depends entirely upon one's skill level and ability to discern the location. Your first hand knowledge and their skills will not match.

Additionally, part of the challenge for the seeker is to ensure they make the time by looking at the map and determining the general area it is in. In some cases, that also includes figuring out where to park.

I've been considering including this information on all of my caches.  For us, it would be really useful to know how much time a particular cache could be expected to take.  Something like an estimate of the total time it should take from car to cache site (not including the actual hunt).  Would this information be useful to anyone else?  Any reasons NOT to include this info?

Each cacher has his or her own way to search for a cache so the time it would take them to find the cache would not be the same.

I wouldn't really want to include the actual "hunting" time (as you said, too subjective), just the time from car to cache site.

Edited by Gaddiel and OrangeDanish

This info is already contained in the terrain rating, although not in the simplified version requested. "Time to cache" is very subjective...some can hike much faster than others.

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.) 

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.) 

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.) 

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.) 

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult. 

Edited by Stunod

I wouldn't really want to include the actual "hunting" time, just the time from car to cache site.

This also assumes everybody walks, hikes, bikes or even hobbles there at the same time. It's too subjective to personal abilities.

True. How about if the description said "walking at a normal pace"? (I know "normal" may be a bit subjective, as well...)

This info is already contained in the terrain rating, although not in the simplified version requested. "Time to cache" is very subjective...some can hike much faster than others.

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.) 

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.) 

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.) 

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.) 

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult. 

While it's true that this info is included in the terrain rating, it can't be distinguished from the rest of the things that go into that rating.

Yes, I'm aware that this would be somewhat subjective...

Would it be ok to just put the time it took you to find a cache in the log. After a couple of people do this for each cache I think you would have a good idea of the time involved.

The owner could put a good faith estimate in the description as well. Parking coords would be nice I guess but sometimes finding parking and access is half the fun for me.

I think an experienced cacher can provide a good guess at how long it would take a reasonable person to find a cache. If it is a day-long project (like a local multi that reportedly takes about 100 miles by car to complete) I would SURE want to know that before I got started on it.

If a multi takes 100 miles by car to complete, the hider would probably have a tough time getting it approved to be listed here. It seems to me I saw a thread regarding the same and the maintenance of each of the legs came up as the issue. So it becomes a little unrealistic.

Further, as was pointed out in some constructive criticism for my hide, the distance should be included in the cache description if the hider is unable to complete it with an easy same general location walk or hike.

By all means if you want to include the time it takes to walk from your car to the cache do so, I think its a great idea. Yes I understand not everyone walks as fast as everyone else, but the time for an average healthy person to walk from point a to point b is reasonable.

Please keep in mind if you are posting to this thread the orginal post was not about the time it would take you to find the cache. Just the time you should expect to walk to the area where the cache is located.

I've been considering including this information on all of my caches. For us, it would be really useful to know how much time a particular cache could be expected to take. Something like an estimate of the total time it should take from car to cache site (not including the actual hunt). Would this information be useful to anyone else? Any reasons NOT to include this info?

There are many caches in southern AZ that tell how long it took the cacher to go car-to-cache.. This has always been helpful information. You may want to give a little note that says something about your condition.

We have a cacher who said 2 hours car-to-car (note this is to cache and back, not hunting time).. Yet some people take over 2 hours just to reach the cache site. Why? Because the hider is known to local cacher as a freakin mountain goat who can climb sheer cliffs. ;)

Once you find a few of there caches you determine that your safer slower way will normally double the time it took them. This is useful to my family when we go for the caches in question..

yep, personal opinion..

Some examples are:

GCKWBA

GCJFPK

GCJ5PW

GCC568

GCB838

ect ect ect..

The cache owners of these are Wily javelina and Mindfulness. Both of them are avid hikers and have real detailed information on the cache locations for most of the hike climbs.. I hope this helps you in some ideas.

-=

TMI - TMI - TMI - you're taking the adventure out of it. Part of going on a long hike with a high terrain, is navigating, HOW you'll get there, not how FAST you'll get there.

THe first geocache started out with minimal info. Today we have hints, parking coordinates, and now this?

The more you know what to expect, the less adventure you have.

Personally, I would rather see the actual walking distance to the cache, if that distance is 5 or 6 times farther than the GPSr indicates from the parking lot. There have been quite few times that my GPSr said that I was less than half a mile from the cache, but the round trip covered three or four miles. If I had known that at the start, I would have been better prepared for the hike.

I agree the distance would be most helpful, I know how long it takes me to say cover 1/2 mile on level ground, or on an incline. I would be very easy to zero out the odometer on your GPS before you start back, this would give a very accurate measurement.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Personally, I would rather see the actual walking distance to the cache, if that distance is 5 or 6 times farther than the GPSr indicates from the parking lot.  There have been quite few times that my GPSr said that I was less than half a mile from the cache, but the round trip covered three or four miles.  If I had known that at the start, I would have been better prepared for the hike.

I had considered this, as well, until I met Big Black Bertha. When we stepped out of the car, I believe the distance read less than a mile. Three hours later, we finally made it back to the car. Even though we knew the terrain rating was high, and it was a straight shot to the cache, it still would have been nice to have had at least SOME idea of T2C for this one...

I guess my thinking is that not all caches are on trails, and not all trails are equal, nor do they run in a straight line to the cache. I'd like to see cache pages include T2C info for the average person on an average day walking at an average pace. I realize this is subjective and there will always be outliers. In the example above, if I had known that this would be a three-hour tour, it would have changed my planning considerably for that day.

"The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed.

If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost."

Edited by Gaddiel and OrangeDanish

This one is less than 1/4 mile away from the trail and you have to find your own way in. Part of the challenge IS the difficulty to get to it and it has taken hours for most folks. This may have been the same for the cache you cited as well. Putting in TTC takes away part of the adventure... the "what if" factor.

Look, it's your cache, and you basically set up your own rules for how easy or how hard it is found. I would personally wince at TTC being posted because it doesn't relate to my skills, just yours. But if that's what you want to provide, then by all means do so and feel good about it. I think distance to cache would be more relavant and folks can judge between difficulty/terrain and distance based on their own skills.

You asked for opinions and got'em. Now it just looks like you're trying to justify going with it.

Me, you wouldn't get that kind of info... only the total distance between legs when it's a multi.

Edited by TotemLake
TMI - TMI - TMI - you're taking the adventure out of it.  Part of going on a long hike with  a high terrain, is navigating, HOW you'll get there, not how FAST you'll get there.

THe first geocache started out with minimal info.  Today we have hints, parking coordinates, and now this? 

The more you know what to expect, the less adventure you have.

Oh come now Polgara. Its not about the adventure...its about the :o

Salvelinus