Help, Garmin Won't Sell Me A Front Cover!!!

;) I dropped my yellow eTrex in a riverbed looking for a cache, & broke the front plastic lens... I called Garmin to ask how much for a replacement front, but they won’t sell it to me... The lady said they would swap it out for a refurbished one of only $58 plus shipping BOTH WAYS!!! By the time I get done, I could have bought a new one off eBay... All I want is a new front for it... She said that it wouldn’t be water tight if I replaced it myself... I got to thinking about that, & IT’S NOT WATER TIGHT RIGHT NOW!!! So who cares... As you can tell, I’m a little upset... Does anyone have any ideas?

TNX, Jim

I just got off the phone with Garmin, again, and I explained the situation & he said he would be happy to help me… I was excited… Then he told me that I would have to send in the unit… I explained again… The unit isn’t watertight right now… I didn’t care if it was watertight, because the unit was NOT under warrenty and I didn’t not want to pay for shipping both ways… All I wanted was a new front cover… He told me that they don’t sell that part… I asked him if he would prefer that I go buy a Magellan instant… He had no comment, so I repeated my question… All he said was, I’m sorry, but we do not sell that part…

I told him thank you, but I would be looking into Magellan in the next few minutes… He did say thank you for calling…

Now what… Anybody have an old yellow eTrex that doesn’t work, they would like to get rid of?

TNX, Jim

Edited by ka6aru (Jim)

You have to give a little if you want help with it. I would rather pay a small fee for shipping for them to fix it and put a new cover on it. Than have to spend a fortune to purcahse another unit. The call is yours though, if it were me i would pay the shipping. It shouldnt be no more than $20 and thats at the most. Pretty much the price of the cover would be anyways. I might just be understanding it wrong and if i am im sorry. What does it not being watertight have to do with shipping it? Im just curious. Also look at it this way. If they fix it and it happens again they will be held accountable for furture repairs and shipping under some kind of warrenty.

I just got off the phone with Garmin, again, and I explained the situation & he said he would be happy to help me… I was excited… Then he told me that I would have to send in the unit… I explained again… The unit isn’t watertight right now… I didn’t care if it was watertight, because the unit was NOT under warrenty and I didn’t not want to pay for shipping both ways… All I wanted was a new front cover… He told me that they don’t sell that part… I asked him if he would prefer that I go buy a Magellan instant… He had no comment, so I repeated my question… All he said was, I’m sorry, but we do not sell that part…

I told him thank you, but I would be looking into Magellan in the next few minutes… He did say thank you for calling…

Now what… Anybody have an old yellow eTrex that doesn’t work, they would like to get rid of?

TNX, Jim

Actually it sounded like he gave you a good answer. The unit would be repaired and likely be brought back to specs which is a completely different answer than what the other rep gave you. Although, now that I think about it, even though spending $58 is a bit high for shipment costs, the other lady offered a refurbished unit for the cost of shipping which would have meant the same thing.

Your alternative is to go to Ebay and find one for cheap there to use as the primary and use your other one as spare parts.

Edited by TotemLake

Not completely related problem but I want to know opinions

I use 60CS with friction mount in car. There is not enough friction

between mount and dashboard and I droped it few times on the car floor. Last time I broke bracket (from the friction mount) which attaches to the unit.

Will Garmin send me new bracket ? I don't think it completely my fault and warranty is still there.

Edited by vr12
;) I dropped my yellow eTrex in a riverbed looking for a cache, & broke the front plastic lens... I called Garmin to ask how much for a replacement front, but they won’t sell it to me...

I guess I don't know how an etrex is actually put together, so this is probably dumb question, but can you still view the screen?

I mean if its just a shield over the screen, could you keep using it?

If not I'd say either go to ebay and see what you can find. Or shop around at any stores with a layaway program.

As for them not selling you parts... they don't sell any parts do they? Not that this helps you, but its just how they run their business.

$58 dollars for shipping thats a rip. Its not that much and i would be calling a supervisor and telling them that. Or is that $58 cover shippment and repairs. If thats the case it sounds like a pretty good deal. How long have you had it?

$58 is the etrex base, out of warrenty cost. For this amount they'll 'return to factory specs'. S/H is an additional cost. By the time you get done with that its over half, or more the cost a new one. But I think thats the idea/scheme of the pricing anways. Its enough you'll consider getting something 'newer greater better', maybe another of their products. And of course if you were really that impresed with the model you want it 'fixed' they'ed be happy to swap out a refurb to you.

A new one was $49 at Best Buy a few months ago, and I think my in-laws only paid $89 for it last Christmas…

But I did the unthinkable... I took my GPS apart & pushed the sharp broken edge back into place…

I now know what they use for weatherproofing… There was a thin rubber gasket about 1/8 inch wide taped down with scotch tape all around the unit… Big deal… I cleaned all the sticky off with alcohol, and used scotch tape… It works just fine… Now, I’ll find someone who deals in plastic, & replace the cover myself…

Jim

End of thread…

A new one was $49 at Best Buy a few months ago, and I think my in-laws only paid $89 for it last Christmas…

But I did the unthinkable... I took my GPS apart & pushed the sharp broken edge back into place…

I now know what they use for weatherproofing… There was a thin rubber gasket about 1/8 inch wide taped down with scotch tape all around the unit… Big deal… I cleaned all the sticky off with alcohol, and used scotch tape… It works just fine… Now, I’ll find someone who deals in plastic, & replace the cover myself…

Jim

End of thread…

>>> Visual Person <<<<

Need pictures Please :o

I saw this site on the web one time. I don't know if they work on the smaller gps stuff, but they have pictures of the etrex on the webpage. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call or email. They are in Florida. I would like to know if they are helpful or cheaper since I have a Garmin that may be in need of parts one day.

http://www.gpsdoctor.com

Edited by LSUFan
...or indicate you'll be making your next purchase from a competitor due to your dissatisfaction of how the problem is being handled.

As someone who used to work in retail and handled angry people I HAVE to ask, why would you tell a customer service person you are going to buy from the competitor? do you think they care?

i laugh and peoples stupidityy when im at say target and they dont have what someone wants so they get all pissed and tell the person they are going to wal-mart. employees dont give a rip! understand this.

just want you all to understand this. and no I no longer work in retail or any type of customer service, it just fueled my hatred of people in general.

any time people dont get there way they scream bloody murder and b!tch and moan and want to speak to managers and threaten to call corporate offices and such. which is alo funny since most of these policies come from corporate offices! idiots.

sorry, not meaning to start a flame or anything, really im not, just wanted to get that of my chest.

have a great night! :ph34r:

Edited by KF6JAX

I feel your pain at not being able to get the parts. It seems to be like that with many things, but to be honest, most of the time I find breaking my toys as good an excuse as any to upgrade anyway. If it makes you feel better, Magellan won't sell you the front of a case either. I learned this when I broke the lens on my Sportrak when it was only a week old.

I agree with most... finding a unrepairable unit for the window is a much better option. Look hard enough and you will probably find one realitively cheap.

Working as a cell phone technician I wholeheartily agree with KF6JAX. Yelling and screaming, threatening this and that with get you no where fast.

If they could sell you just the part, they would. No CSR or tech wants to get yelled at for the heck of it.

However, sometimes, if you are a decent person and ask for help, or advice you might find what you are looking for. Go the "I want your supervisor" route gets you a one way ticket to "No, sir".

Just my 0.02

Scott

...or indicate you'll be making your next purchase from a competitor due to your dissatisfaction of how the problem is being handled.

As someone who used to work in retail and handled angry people I HAVE to ask, why would you tell a customer service person you are going to buy from the competitor? do you think they care?

Actually, I always vote with my dollar. If I don't get the service I expect, I advise them this will be the last time I'll buy anything from them. No empty threats and I don't yell at 'em for not being able to deliver. I just let them know they lost a customer, both over the phone, gently and poliltely, and with a formal letter stating in detail the reasoning behind it.

Why would they care? In the long run, if enough people do it, businesses close doors or modify their customer service to accomodate. If they close their doors due to not accomodating the customers, that CS is out of a job. I've seen it happen enough times to know it works.

Retail works the same way. Most are scrambling to increase customer service just to keep up with the next retail competitor, because people do vote with their bucks.

Let's be very clear with what I said in my above post... I did not indicate to anybody to rant, rave, or yell. I merely suggested

Something you apparently missed with your assumptions to rebuttal my comment.

Edited by TotemLake

AMEN, you hit it the nail on the head, i couldnt agree with ya more. Also its boards like this that when one person gives negative remarks and it gets around thats one less person that will buy thier product. That one less person adds up. So when the company starts lossing money, someone is about to start lossing thier jobs. If everyone stood up for what they beleived it instead of being taken advantage of by the corperate dollar we wouldnt be in having to fight over getting decent ot good customer service.

I have a friend in electronics - his hombrew experiments are waterproofed with RTV and silicone adhesive. Can the thing be glued back togther? For the screen - cant someone just just a piece of plexiglass or lexan for you. Find a local shop that sells plastics - they have the special saws to do this. Use the clear plastic from retail packaging - look in Wal-Mart for something that will work?

Put it into a new homemade case?/ Scavange from an old cell phone? PDA screen cover from Staples permanently installed?

Think outside the yellow box, grasshopper ;-)

I have a friend in electronics - his hombrew experiments are waterproofed with RTV and silicone adhesive. Can the thing be glued back togther? For the screen - cant someone just just a piece of plexiglass or lexan for you. Find a local shop that sells plastics - they have the special saws to do this. Use the clear plastic from retail packaging - look in Wal-Mart for something that will work?

Put it into a new homemade case?/ Scavange from an old cell phone? PDA screen cover from Staples permanently installed?

Think outside the yellow box, grasshopper ;-)

I did do some waterproofing myself, & have called everyone in this town, but can't find any replacement plastic for the front... I did put some clear packing tape over the face for now... I will try Wal-mart, & someone I called here in Chico, CA. said to try a stationary store...

TNX for the idea...

Jim

Try going to the hardware store and simply getting a piece of scrap plexiglass. They'll probably give it to you for free. Then do what geopup suggested and use a little RTV for the waterproof seal. The downside is that plexiglass may scratch a little easier than the original screen. The Lexan geopup mentioned would be better in that regard. Perhaps a Nalgene bottle from a sporting goods store could be sacrificed to make a Lexan screen.

I use the clear plastic from a package of a grandsons toy for for computer window untell I finshed . Then used lexan from a hard ware store. Thats the same idea only larger. You might be able to do that. That toy packaging is very clear and thin, just not scrach resistant. It is even some what flexable and can be cut to size with scissors. :blink: