Naming New Caches - Should I Worry?

Sparrowhawk

Hi all and Groundspeak folks...

Recently I guess I made a mistake of mentioning a website here that if you clicked around long enough on it, you could dig up a rated "hard-R" kind of link eventually on it. So the thread was closed by a mod and the website mention deleted. I was surprised... figured if the exact page itself I linked to was "G" rated, that was enough. Oh well. Live and learn.

Now i wonder how cautious I should be in general.

I am mulling over placing a new joke cache in a pile of... well, it isn't quite trash, but it's not exactly the best way our city should be maintaining a public park, either. Bunch of abandoned wood and tossed-around construction stuff. At least it's safe, if nothing else. Basically you'd really have to be a real extreme cache nut to actually WANT to hunt this thing. Which would be the whole silly point. ;)

So I thunk up "The Masochist Cache". Wait... maybe that's a bad word implying something.

OK, "Cache Addicts Only". Wait... that like could be rejected for sounding like drugs. Errr...

Hey Groundspeak? How cautious should I be when naming a cache, anyway?

Just wondering how cautious I should be...

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I did a few quick searches for caches with words that I use in personal conversation all the time but would probably not use in these forums (email me if you want an exhaustive list :)), and discovered quite a few of them.

I don't think there is any cache name that could possibly offend me, but I was actually surprised to get this cache of mine approved. Maybe I'm just a wuss. ;)

Check out this log for one of my caches. The cache has since been archived, but it was replaced by this cache so the name lives on.

IndyMagicMan found Bushwacking with the Beave (Traditional Cache)     

Title of this cache is perhaps the dirtiest name on gc.com ;) Contents of cache in poor shape. 

Geocaching is a family-friendly activity. The cache reviewers will question a cache name or cache description that "pushes the envelope." You want a test or definition? Try this.

Imagine you are the parents of three kids age 10 or younger, and you're going out for a day of finding five caches in a nice park. You print the cache pages and plan your route. When the kids ask "What's the name of the next cache?" or "Let me see the page so I can read the directions," do any of the cache names or descriptions make you say "ummmm, I'll get back to you on that."

If the cache reviewer has a concern about your proposed name, they'll let you know. We regularly discuss these in our reviewer forum. We also try to suggest alternatives when possible. If the entire cache will depend on a play on words or suggestive theme, it might be wise to contact your friendly local volunteer prior to putting a lot of work into it.

Yes this is a family friendly activity, but sometimes envelopes are just meant to be pushed. Nothing I have seen on this thread compares to some of the wording I see on A&F t-shirts worn by girls today. My favorite has to be the one with a fake hair salon ad that says call for a blow-dry:555-TRIIM. ;)

Criminal you out there? Wanna chime in here? :)

All that said, just why would you want to ask someone to dig through a trash pile? :)

Yes this is a family friendly activity, but sometimes envelopes are just meant to be pushed. Nothing I have seen on this thread compares to some of the wording I see on A&F t-shirts worn by girls today. My favorite has to be the one with a fake hair salon ad that says call for a blow-dry:555-TRIIM. :o

Criminal you out there? Wanna chime in here? :)

All that said, just why would you want to ask someone to dig through a trash pile? :o

Remember the TPTB approve the caches here. If a cache hider decides to "push the envelope" and risk having to rename the cache, that is their business. Approvers don't have to approve a cache.