Uk Geocoins

Alibags

Hokesters,

Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes: !

My suggestion would be to leave out any political / geographical / religious / philosophical symbolism altogether, and come up with something really different. After all, surely it would be better to demonstrate our creative prowess rather than merely our ability to follow the US lead. This is not to belittle the excellent work done so far, of course, just an attempt to offer an alternative!

My recent experience of "geocoins" was of the wonderful "kists" of "waymerks" to be found hidden in various places along the Southern Upland Way in Scotland. These "waymerks" are coins designed and minted by local craftsmen, and have original designs with various themes according to the artistic whim of the maker. I don't think they cost much to produce, and you'd find perhaps 100 of them hidden in a custom-designed cache at the side of the Way. The coins are a bit "rustic" in design, and look like they date from Roman times a bit, but perhaps we could contact one of the artists and see if he/she has any (cheap) ideas of an original design?

A kist of waymerks:

030705-1432_small.jpg

I think the scheme is now defunct, sadly, but it demonstrates that there are alternatives to the USA-style coin.

HH

"Please do not leave anything in this cache that does not conform to my political agenda"

I don't have an agenda, I just feel that the current design is wrong, and will not have an offensive coin like that in any of my caches.

Edited by Donnacha

I thought the British Isles design (the 'as seen from space' one) was design two? The IOM is a part of the British Isles (if not the UK) and is shown on the 'coin' I've seen. The Channel Isles could just be moved closer, as they often are on maps. I really liked the relief on the map and you could easily make the 'border' a trench to take enamel of any colour you like. Even do lots of colour versions and make them 'collectable'? Stick a geo-grid in as the background and a badger* and the motto on the reverse and we have a winner, I'd say.

I'd like to add that I liked the original version too, but as my original log on this thread said, I thought NI looked very lonely all by itself. I certainly do not want to make life hard for the people involved in this project but this is a forum for discussion and we're discussing the design. I don't think anyone's been deliberately disruptive to the process and the dialogue has been very worthwhile.

SP

*which I hope are a native of the republic as well as all of the UK.

I don't have an agenda, I just feel that the current design is wrong, and will not have an offensive coin like that in any of my caches.

Can we please try to keep Irish politics out of this! We have suggested, on a UK forum, that we create a UK geocoin, tracked on a UK website. The proposed design is a map of the UK, overlaying the UK flag and, in common with all other UK coins, it was proposed that it bear a latin inscription.

It seems to me that it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland that you find offensive. Maybe living through the "troubles" brings one to associate the Union Flag with rather negative images. But please recognise that there are those of us who, though less nationalistic and less patriotic than you, are neither ashamed of our national identity, nor our national flag.

How would you feel if I entered a discussion about a RoI geocoin demanding both that you remove the Irish flag, and also that you remove Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan (on the grounds that I, personally, don't recognise the borders and feel that the whole of Ulster should belong to my country)?! Pretty indignant, I suspect, and even less likely to be persuaded to change the design than before I spoke!

As far as I see it we have about 10 differing design ideas on the table. Everyone of them with a map or flag will offend someone. Even if we do not have a map or flag I have no doubt that someone will be offended by the fact the website is UKgeocoins.co.uk!

Now if we want to see these coins before 2008 we need to make a decision and I am going to suggest to the rest of the team behind the project that we go away with the tabled offers so far and come up with a definitive idea.

We have to be careful with trying to please everyone. Look at BRITISH Airways attmpts to remove the Union Jack from their tail fins - it became a notorious marketing blunder and we now have the union flag replaced.

I think the jack should stay myself because it is striking and representative of the vast majority of us.

We will work on it and come back with the final design1.

Simon

This is the sort of thing I had in mind. The grid is only approx. but should follow the latitudes and longitudes which cross the countries. The surround could have enamel of any colour added to it, making these coins 'extra' collectable.

spcoinred.gif

The reverse would have the tracking number on a flat area in the centre section, the inscription around the outside and a suitable image in the centre. I suggested badger but there must be many others. An Oak tree perhaps? (Too English?) An arrow and a distance?

SP

As this has developed into a bit of a free for all, which has got a bit political, one of the moderators has contacted me to voice his concerns about this topic. After discussion with the other three involved in this project, I have decided, reluctantly to close the topic.

The UK Geocoins coins project is still ongoing and as and when all options have been considered we will start a new topic to let you know what is going on. Sincere thanks for all your valuable contributions thus far.

Please feel free to email me (and I presume the others) directly with any further points you want to make.

You will be able to keep up with our progress off the forum at UK Geocoins in the meantime.

Alison