Uk Geocoins

Alibags

I'd like a few as souveniers but I'll wait till I pick them up from caches! :rolleyes::laughing:

naughty!

when trying to think of UK quotations, all I coudl think of was "B*gger Bognor" for some reason. :anicute:

Where's that bit about "this sceptred isle"...etc Shakespeare I think. Okay, maybe a bit airy fairy, but I was thinking of a good defining UK quote, possibly bowdlerised into a caching relevent quote.

The words of Jerusalem keep springing to mind, but the Welsh, Scots and N Irish may not go for that too much! :yikes:

Free UK geocoin to the person who comes up with the text that we use in the end!

Just a quick post so you can see the proposed UK geocoin on this page as well... instead of viewing the previous page of this thread everytime! Still need more suggestions for the quote running around the outside of the coin, so keep them coming!

UK_geocoin_rough.jpg

House Of Boo

PS - cheers for the compliments, glad you like it!

These all seem like the sort of things to put on the other side, the buisiness side of the coin. I was looking for something inspiring, uplifting and British. I have been looking at web quotes by Kipling, Shakespeare, Dickens and the Venereable Bede so far, but nothing springs out at me. :yikes:

Who knows latin? If you know the word for cache (or indeed seek) then how about a derivation of 'veni vidi vice'?

I'd like to add my words of praise, this looks brilliant. I would be up for some of these.

Thoughts.

Just a point - costs - I don't ever think cost should be a reason for not having the best of what we can get within reason, but I am thinking that 3 colour enamel and detail both sides of the coin, plus individual numbering is going to prove quite labour intensive.

On the plus side, we won't be flooded with them so they'll maintain a special status and costs won't put me off, I'll just buy fewer in line with what I can afford

It might be that having both enamelled and non enamelled versions could be an option?

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll do some googling later to see if I can enter the fray with word suggestions.

"We search - we find - we log"

"Finders, seekers log this don't keep it"

“Finders, seekers log this coin and release it”

"If found do not keep as souvenir!"

"I am worth 10points on COTM if you MOVE me"

"May you be plagued with a thousand DNF if you keep this coin"

Neutiquam erro - I am not lost.

cachito ergo sum - I cache therefore I exist

Veni Quaesivi Inveni - I came, I sought, I found

"vos locus lemma quod ego mos reperio lemma" - "you place them and i will find them"

"Per British Geocaching eo saecula saeculorum" - By means of British Geocaching travel without end

2 points :

The cost including up to 5 colours of enamel is not actually much more than just the plain cost. I am hoping to get my quote back by the end of the week. I don't like to give an off the top of my head figure, in case I am horribly wrong. I would not want to spend a fortune either!

Coins being nicked. Well, you run that risk every time you place a cache or release a TB into the wild. That's just the way it goes. I don't see that being tracked on the GC site means that they are any less likely be be nicked, look at all the TBs that go missing. If we keep the cost as equivalent to a TB dog tag, then despite the pretty glitteryness of the coins, they should be regarded much in the same way as TBs, with the bonus that you don't have to find something to attach to them.

er, point 3... (nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!) :laughing:

Of the suggested mottos so far, personally, I like "Veni Quaesivi Inveni" best. Is this actually good latin or is it as dubious as 'nil illegitimi carborundum'? This is suitably short and so could allow the additon of 'United Kingdom Geocoin' to the other side of the circle.

Edited by Alibags

As these won't be tracked by gc.com why not have the tracking address on the coin too to avoid confusion and discourage souvenir taking, has the tracking address been worked out yet, will gagb or geocacheuk reserve a directory name that could be re-directed to wherever the site will be?

Look forward to finding out how much.(tightwad!)

As these won't be tracked by gc.com why not have the tracking address on the coin too to avoid confusion and discourage souvenir taking, has the tracking address been worked out yet, will gagb or geocacheuk reserve a directory name that could be re-directed to wherever the site will be?

Yes, the tracking address will be stamped onto the "tails" side of the coin, along with the tracking number. For many reasons, regardless of who's "supporting" these coins, it's better that the tracking address is independent of any other body. So eg coins.geocacheuk.com is probably not the best URL. The geocoins.co.uk domain has been registered and is the working assumption, though I'm not sure it's cast in stone (or indeed brass!).

I like the idea of the coins and the design is great. The only logo I can suggest is

‘Seek and ye shall find’

But why Latin? Not many people can read it, including myself.

Just another suggestion to add to the others. Why not give each one a name. Perhaps those that order them could have the names of their choice, such as their children’s engraved on the rear with of course an identification number.

As for GC.com not recognising them. So what. There are other ways of tracking them. :laughing:

Peter has suggested that we have a civillised UK stylee vote on the final logo. I like latin as I am pretentious so and so, but it's not cast in stone/brass/chocolate with gold foil on it yet.

When I have an update on the web site and tracking progress (many thanks to those concerned) I will post a cut-off date and then we can all vote. Shame this forum does not have polls section :laughing:

If this thread goes quiet from time to time, don't worry, it's all going on beneath the surface (like the proverbial swan that glides serenely along but under the water is paddling frantically).

When we have a tracking DB up and the coins are ordered, you will all be the first to know... okay, the proverbial first. I have laid the lash onto Peter (who thought he was a volunteer , ha ha!) to get an updated image with text and also an obverse view (told you I was pretentious!!). :rolleyes:

Alibags wrote:

I like "Veni Quaesivi Inveni" best. Is this actually good latin or is it as dubious as 'nil illegitimi carborundum'?

To the best of my knowledge it's good Latin, but Latin's not a language I've had much use for since schooldays. I'll endeavour to check that it's correct and let you know.

The Latin master of a public school assures me that it is indeed good Latin.

I've just found this thread and I think the coins (as proposed) look FANTASTIC. I would definitely be interested in a few (although Bingo doesn't see the point).

I personally like the lastin, but also agree that a dead 'British' language i.e. Anglo-Saxon or Gaelic would be good if anyone can translate the 'favourite' into either of these. I have to say that I agree that 'English' slogans sound pants B)

personally like the lastin, but also agree that a dead 'British' language i.e. Anglo-Saxon or Gaelic would be good

hold off killing off Gaelic just yet :P, there are at least 3 gaelic dialects in use in GB (Welsh, Scotish , IOM) and I believe that the Cornish dialect is still in use. Not to forget Irish and Normandy dialects of Gaelic. If you want a translation into Welsh thats no problem (I'll just ask the teachers at my kids school to translate :P )

Dave

Not wanting to be completely pedantic - but probably sounding it and looking like it and being accused of it (in recent threads at least) but it is my understanding that Gaelic isn't a British Language that was spoken by all of the isles, all of the time.

English itself is only recent and as I have already thought doesn't do justice to mottos.

Perhaps a historian can drop in at this point and help?

Edited by The Hokesters
Most mottos on these sorts of things are in Latin, let's go with the majority?

Using Latin is IMHO a tad pretentious. Think about who will be finding these coins and what their purpose is. Do you want a slogan which every person who finds the coin can read and understand or do you want an archaic inscription to keep them the preserve of the public school ilk who spent their formative years reciting "amo amas amat"?

What does the writing around the side of my pound coins mean? I don't know, and I don't care

English is reet bo, people all over the world can speak it, Latin is as dead as Caesar!