Uk Geocoins

Alibags

Yeah but would the English and Irish then complain that the Scots and Welsh had bigger hills than them? :grin:

You have to remember the English and Irish see their own hills close-up (what with them being in England and Ireland and everything) while the mountains of Scotland and Wales seem much smaller because they're far away (in Wales and Scotland). So no problem there :grin:

SP

When I was designing a symbol to indicate whuch UK region a member of my 3-D photogrphy society came from, to put on name badges at a convention, I decided to colour each UK region in red. Then I had the problem of the Republic of Ireland. Which is another nation. So I chose to colour it green. This was on all the versions of the map, so everyone from the UK got a green ROI and a red patch for their area. The members from the ROI got an oval car-type symbol, just like all the other overseas visitors.

So, since we have the colour available, why not colour the foreign part of the Emerald Isle in emerald?

Just my thoughts on the conundrum!

Bob Aldridge

expensive and brittle enamelling

Yeah but has anyone else been completely underwelmed by USA Geocoins because of their plainess? The colour is what will make our coins extra special!

We could always go for an epoxy coating, which will both protect the enamel and make it look shinier. However that would add another 70p or so to the price of each coin. Similar price increments can add milled edges, transparent paints, sandblasting, detailed engraving etc, etc.

We've done english vs latin, and UK/GB/Ireland so far -- how about we do price vs features next? :blink:

Would it be any better if the 'outline' of Ireland was shown but only the NI coloured with the flag??

Team Ullium.

Absolutely not.

I have no problem with you guys having a union jack on your UK geocoin. I just don't want to see any part of the island of Ireland on it. If you want a UK only geocoin, leave out the whole island. At the end of the day it's your coin and you can do what you want, but if you go ahead with the current design it will not be welcome in any of my caches, and I will not be moving any of them on.

I'm just looking at a 2004 Groundspeak USA geocoin... and there's only 9 stripes on the flag (should be 13) there's only 24 stars (should be 50) and there's no Hawaii on the map! I hope there was a Janet Jackson's boobie type public outcry. Perhaps that's why the coin ended up here, where we don't care about such details. :blink:

SP

I am sincerely sorry to have offended you in this manner Donnacha. It was entirely unintentional.

Just out of interest, if UK geocoins will not be welcome in your caches and you will not move them on, what exactly will you do with them if somebody places on in one of your caches?

Just the question I was about to ask.

If you want a UK only geocoin, leave out the whole island.
Hadn't we established that NI is a part of the UK? I don't mean to knock anyone's attitudes or beliefs, but if we start ignoring established facts...

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
Just the question I was about to ask.

If you want a UK only geocoin, leave out the whole island.
Hadn't we established that NI is a part of the UK? I don't mean to knock anyone's attitudes or beliefs, but if we start ignoring established facts...

SP

I don't recognise that fact.

I am sincerely sorry to have offended you in this manner Donnacha. It was entirely unintentional.

Just out of interest, if UK geocoins will not be welcome in your caches and you will not move them on, what exactly will you do with them if somebody places on in one of your caches?

If one lands in any of my caches it will be removed, and I will return to owner. No problem, but I am sure I'm not the only one offended by this design.

Being a geographical sport and not a political sport surely it should be a 'british isles' coin rather than a 'uk' coin, I must admit that until it was mentioned I hadn't even noticed the Ireland bit.

Personally I think the whole of Ireland should be on it, how about just adding an emerald strip to the edges of the blue bits to make it an all encompassing flag, and if the welsh complain just send them out with a free leek :blink:

Having (finally) caught up with this thread, I am astounded by the good-natured debate that has sprung up.

I have to say that I am siding with Donnacha on this. I would love to see a design that encompasses the two islands. However, I just cannot reconcile having the outline of Ireland superimposed on a Union Flag, much less having the island display two seperate flags.

At the end of the day, I am happy that you are listening to our concerns, and I would love to see the discussion ongoing about what could keep everyone happy.

I would start by proposing to have the coin with the outline of the two islands, and another design in the background. As this cannot be a gc.com/Groundspeak image, maybe there could be a possiblity for another, all-encompassing image.

PS: Teasel - a well educated man :blink:

Oh dear, why did such an innocent idea have to fall prey to politics? :blink: This is a United Kingdom forum discussing ideas for a United Kingdom geocoin. The Union Flag is the flag of the United Kingdom and I for one am proud to embrace it alongside the St George's cross of England. I am equally sure our friends from across the Irish sea are proud of their flag as are people in every country in the world.

The United Kingdom is a well established entity, recognised around the world, including by the government of The Republic of Ireland. Its full name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". To omit ANY part of it would, in my opinion, be wrong, as would to include any country NOT part of it.

So, if it's a UK Geocoin and you want a flag on it, it has to be the Union Flag. The alternative would be a British Isles Geocoin with no flag at all but with a representation of Great Britain and the island of Ireland.

It's also worth bearing in mind that when placing a geocache you have to select the country in which it is located. On the dropdown list is an entry for United Kingdom and a separate entry for Ireland. There is no option for British Isles or Great Britain (i.e. England, Wales and Scotland only) although there is for the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey!

Let's remember at the end of the day it's supposed to be innocent fun, played by friendly people so lighten up folks. Let's try and keep politics out of our bit of fun, I for one see far too much of politicians in the papers and on the TV :D

So, if it's a UK Geocoin and you want a flag on it, it has to be the Union Flag. The alternative would be a British Isles Geocoin with no flag at all but with a representation of Great Britain and the island of Ireland.

But this is what I said in the first place. There was never a question of recognising anything, I just felt that the current design - if that was to be the final one - was not all encompassing and if I had reservations about it then I thought these should be voiced.

Correct, this is a UK forum and there would be little point in having regional forums due to limited numbers. However, to avoid much nationalism and to revert to geographical terms they are probably best looked at as a forum dedicated to cachers throughout the British Isles.

And to be fair to all members here, if this can be applied to the coins as a representation of this shared interest and heritage, can the image displayed on them not be one which is proudly endorsed by all.

Three options were mentioned earlier:

i) Keep the current design (UK Geocoin)

ii) Remove NI (GB Geocoin)

iii) Add Eire (British Isles Geocoin)

And I would head right for number three, dropping the Union Flag and either substituting another image or symbol in the background. This leaves politics aside, flags out, nationalism aside and provides an outline map that represents everyone living on these two islands and is readily identifiable.

I don't think it could get any fairer than that. :blink:

Three options were mentioned earlier:

i) Keep the current design (UK Geocoin)

ii) Remove NI (GB Geocoin)

iii) Add Eire (British Isles Geocoin)

<snip>

I don't think it could get any fairer than that. :D

Can't argue with that ;)

Take your pick of any of those and I'd be happy to go along with it. Isn't common sense a wonderful thing :D Now if only we could persuade those b^)&^y politicians to use a bit of it :blink:

Now if only we could persuade those b^)&^y politicians to use a bit of it :blink:

And if I don't see photographs of the new design then there'll be no coin at all

;);):D

(If you're not following the current round of talks between SF, the DUP and the British and Irish Governments, it won't be that funny) :D

Just to add another ramble...

Im still working on ideas for Geocoins for all of us that would come in a 2nd minting if there is demand and everything *touch wood* goes swimmingly and doesnt leave a huge hole in the organisers pockets... So what would you like???

Rough ideas would be nice! Though drawings would be better!

House Of Boo

Edited by House Of Boo
I don't recognise that fact.

:hooks thumbs under lapels:

I put it to you that you do recognise it as a fact, but it is one you do not like.

As I said before, I'm all for a non-national coin which is still specifically one about the British Isles, but, as I also said before, we can't start ignoring facts. As a compromise, can I suggest a version of the coin showing the UK as it might be in 2105. That's just the last 30ft of Ben Nevis sticking out of the sea then...

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

Im still working on ideas for Geocoins for all of us that would come in a 2nd minting if there is demand and everything *touch wood* goes swimmingly and doesnt leave a huge hole in the organisers pockets... So what would you like???

Something along these lines... the relief looks really good, it's very much a non-political 'geo' image, and you could then throw ideas for a background around until there's agreement :blink:

british%20isles.gif

I put it to you that you do recognise it as a fact, but it is one you do not like.

As I said before, I'm all for a non-national coin which is still specifically one about the British Isles, but, as I also said before, we can't start ignoring facts.

Paul and Donnacha, we're getting sidetracked.

I'd love to get stuck into this debate, but it's neither the place or time.

However, this discussion would make an excellent late night event cache topic...

Living as I do in, or is that on, The political football (Northern Ireland) I must say that the political versus geographical debate is not new and most explanations seem to concur.

In the interest of impartiality could I suggest a green background with NI floating above it, no Republic of Ireland and no England, Scotland or Wales.

I can see why UK flag is appropriate and I can see why exclusion of RoI may be problematic. And furthermore inclusion of RoI plus Union Jack is simply not correct. So is there a win/win here? not if flags are involved, methinks.

I promise not to be offended whatever is produced but believe that the designers ultimately have to decide for the sake of expediency.

Good luck

PS if they land in my caches I will probably keep them for the rarity value :blink:

Something along these lines... the relief looks really good, it's very much a non-political 'geo' image, and you could then throw ideas for a background around until there's agreement :blink:

That looks much better

It look as though the best idea is to include Eire and drop all flags as history has obviously thrown far too many spanners in the works for it to work without somebody getting upset.

As for geographical background I guess the british isles outline would already be the best representation there is.

So whats the new motto?

"All nations together in a muddy field covered in nettle rash and bramble wounds"

Does that work in latin? :blink:

That looks much better

I agree. That's the view that satellites get, without any of the segregation that people have applied to the islands.

SP

Something along these lines... the relief looks really good, it's very much a non-political 'geo' image, and you could then throw ideas for a background around until there's agreement :D

That looks much better

I agree. That's the view that satellites get, without any of the segregation that people have applied to the islands.

SP

Ah feck... have we any cachers from the Shetland Islands... they're not on that map :blink:

By the way, if you UK citizens fancy a giggle, and still have some Euro coins left over from the last booze-cruise, have a look at the coins (the 1 and 2 euro coins are best) and see why Norwegians and Swedes were not at all impressed with the design.

I dun like it, too green and therefore one 3rd Irish flag, that is not fair, probably why the irish guys now like it so much.

It worse ! green and gold !

"Green as the color standing for the Irish Catholic nationalists of the south may have something to do with shamrocks and verdant landscapes, but more importantly, green symbolizes revolution. An earlier, unofficial Irish flag —the gold harp on a green background— served from 1798 until the early twentieth century as a symbol of nationalism."

Edited by stonefisk
It... does... not... have... to... be... the... colour... Green... :blink:

nor orange.

I'm jesting anyway. I liked the union flag design, but seems people have issues with that, so fine new design.

Me wonders if Groundspeak actaully went through all this crap themselves and thought "nah, these old worldie Europeans will never get past the nationalist bickering" and thus jacked in any thought of making other coins other than what they currently market.

"Green as the color standing for the Irish Catholic nationalists of the south may have something to do with shamrocks and verdant landscapes, but more importantly, green symbolizes revolution. An earlier, unofficial Irish flag —the gold harp on a green background— served from 1798 until the early twentieth century as a symbol of nationalism."

Yep, and it was replaced with a design that was seen to be a better representation of all people living on the island.

The flag you refer to represents one of the four provinces of Ireland, Leinster. This flag was previously used by the United Irishmen in 1798, Daniel O'Connell's campaigns in the 1830s and 1840s, and by the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB).

Contrary to popular belief and modern depiction, this flag was also used in the 1916 Rising. However the colour green was seen as exclusively Nationalist, and thus Sinn Fein favoured the Tricolour from 1918 as a flag embracing both Catholic and Protestant communities in Ireland.

The tricolour, which is Ireland's modern-day national flag has its origins in the French Revolution and the French flag in both name and design.

As you point out, this flag was designed with clear symbolism in mind and signifies the peace (white) between Nationalists (green) and Unionists (orange).

Ooof, Historical Blurt over. :blink:

Having only just read down this topic, which I hadn't been following, congratulations to all of you on having stirred up a hornet's nest - including the Hornet. :blink:

I'm puzzled as to why the proposed design has to have flags-and-maps on it - seemingly for no better reason than to follow what the blasted Americans do. (Again.)

Instead, why not take the opportunity to come up with a really original, eye-catching (and preferably non-contentious) layout, with symbolism which would be both recognisable AND meaningful?

It wouldn't be easy - but that doesn't mean it ain't possible...

Quickly made this "dummy" coin out for people to use as a template to put their ideas down and add it to the forum..

Remember that we've only got five colours to play with, from a rather limited selection, and painted in blocks - so this sort of design is not going to be possible.

If we're going to have relief, we'll have to do it in the metal, rather than in the paintwork. (Eg like the original design, but with a shiny relief map of the UK).

Thanks FFB for your foresight,

I'd like to refer everyone to my last post before continuing...

Now this is a fledgling project which we hope will be embraced by the whole of the UK & Republic of Ireland Geocaching community - we intend that no one is to be excluded. Indeed the coins we hope will be welcomed in all caches in all countries of the World.

In time and with your support we hope to be able to include all sorts of designs including border specific coins as Ali, Boo, Teasel and I have already muted.

The first coin is not intended to be a political statement but we hope it will be a striking item that people will cherish and thus move on carefully. We know it will not please everyone who partakes in this forum and it is clear that it would be nigh impossible to create such a coin. There will always be someone with a differing political or national opinion.

We have to live with this. I suggest we go with the original design for a run of 100 items and if we sell those to the people who are happy with them then we start to discuss "Design2".

Simon

P.S. Some people have spent a hell of a lot of time on this - please do not give them reason to chuck in the towel!

Hokesters,

I'm slightly confused: can you remind me what Design 2 is, please?

NOT in the interest of politics, but in the interest of accuracy, can I remind you that the Isle of Man is not part of the UK? Perhaps we'll mint our own geocoins one day (we have our own currency - minted by Pobjoy) and UK Geocoins would be regarded as foreign.

The usual gripe here is that the IOM is missed off maps of the British Isles (the "Miss Isle of Man syndrome")!

HH

At the end of the day it's your coin and you can do what you want, but if you go ahead with the current design it will not be welcome in any of my caches, and I will not be moving any of them on.

No problem, just put a line in the description of your caches to the effect;

"Please do not leave anything in this cache that does not conform to my political agenda"