Uk Geocoins

Alibags

Just arrived home again and found this thread, would like a slack handful of coins myself.

and as to the language, I find a distinct lack of latin, greek, urdu, hindi, gaelic or any other language posts apart from english, why buck the majority?

stay safe

Bill

p.s. I thought of asking for it in geordie but decided I did not need flaming before Christmas ;)

Hello peeps,

Well, latin is universal and pretty stylish methinks. if its in Scots Irish or other gaelic verse then it will be lost on a lot of people. (perhaps ythats why all the mottos of regiments etc etc are in latin .

Anyway I dont really mind(unless we're gonna have Scots, welsh and Irish Geocoins then i might want to put my poundsworth in)

That said I would like four please if I may :grin: (preferably before christmas heheheh :grin::blink::huh:

Scuze my complete ignorance but is there a difference between Scottish, Irish and Gaelic or are they just different dialects of the same language?

Irish and Scotish dialects are closely linked, as are Welsh and Normandy dialects, and I believe that Manx and Corrnish are different again (all this is just off the top of my head again :grin: ) but I can confirm that Irish and Welsh are totaly different, after input from my 2, who have attended both Irish and Welsh schools.

Personaly, as I don't speak Irish, Welsh, Latin, and murder English, lets keep it simple and just use English :blink:

Dave

A couple of questions and a thank you!!

If the US minter has been contacted...has he given any idea of what he would consider a minimum initial order number?

And have we any idea of just how many coins are likely to be taken up by cachers on this forum of the first shipment? (plus a couple for me btw...with the same proviso as others in that they are reasonably priced!).

As for what language it's motto or identity information is printed in....I really don't feel strongly one way or the other. Except perhaps that whatever is written on the coin be apt and appropriate!

Also, I think we owe all those concerned who are taking on the unselfish (and unfortunately for the most part probably thankless) task of setting up these UK coins and tracking them....a big vote of gratitude :blink:

Well done guys...take a bow :grin:

Team Ullium.

Thanks for the kind words Bill.

I believe that Alibags has had indication of initial cost of setting up the dies and a reasonable initial order amount. A very basic budget puts the coins in a similar cost bracket as the US ones (ex. delivery) but we hope to have a much brighter and more colourful coin that the USA version - because we are not taking any profit out. :grin:

The final cost will come down to the cost of making the initial die and initial order amount which I think we will not be far out with the interest already show in obtaining the coins.

At the moment we are talking about a UK coin (not inc. Eire). We have discussed having more coins of different design at a later date but with a standard obverse design and this would all depend on demand, etc.

Development of the website has now begun but (unless the other guys disagree) I doubt we are going to have anything until the new year - sorry :blink:

Si

Edited by The Hokesters
Development of the website has now begun but (unless the other guys disagree) I doubt we are going to have anything until the new year

Just gives me more time to get enough pennies in my jar (no joking ether :blink: ), as I'd love to give my other half one, for all the support she gives me regarding events, and the incuragment to go out caching, even though she's a non-cacher (I'm the lucky one :grin: ), I've a nice piece of Oak to mount it onto before giving it to her. Will you have them sorted for May?

Dave :grin:

If it's a UK geocoin then it has to be in a universally accepted UK language. Scots, welsh, urdhu etc are out as far as I am concerned, no offense to any celts, picts, woads (if you have seen the dreadful Arthur film you will undersatnd this last one!). If that rules out latin too then fine, so be it (and booo!), but we still need some halfway decent motto. The original idea was something literary (though not neccessarily highbrow) or suitable to the UK and/or UK geocaching. Public information notices are therefore similarly out. :grin: That stuff can go on the webpage.

A thought! If we can think of a two word motto, perhaps we could have it in Scots/gaelic, welsh AND english? It would have to be short and snappy though for it to fit. Perhaps we could can the motto and have the usual nationalistic foliage (rose, thistle, leek/daffodil and... does NI have a national flower?). One would have to ask one's designer if thei would be possible, or just an 'orrible mess.

The minimum actual number of coins the minter will do, to answer the other question, is 25, but with a large initial set up cost that would make them prohibitively expensive (about $17 each). I was working on an intial figure of 100, but perhaps 200 may be viable? I will have to go through the posts and tot up the numbers of people who expressed an interest. The cost, as mentioned above, is likely to be sub £5. One thing I don't know, and I would appreciate if anybody else can help with suggestions for this, is how to find out if and how much UK Customs are likely to slap on top of any order. I am not sure where to find that information and in view of my EBaying ways, don't really wish to call too much scrutinity upon myself! Any suggestions?

Errhum. Polite cough. Disclaimer - I'm just expressing an opinion and don't wish to provoke a wave of responses except from people who wish to comment on my remarkable good looks and delicate odour.

Latin is my Vote

It is the natural language for a motto (My school - comprehensive and not one with a great reputation, although we did do latin for 1 period a week in second year. )

Now a moment to risk alienating myself from everybody alive - :grin: If the motto is in any spoken or recently spoken or minority spoken language the other groups will ask why their's wasn't chosen.

If you have Latin, everyone will agree that it is a dead language and be equally unoffended or equally offended.

Getting a translation these days is easy enough, just type "Translator" into google and a plethora of them show up.

I think that different product classes attract duty and VAT in different ways at different rates and sometimes items are not in a class that you would expect.

I would say that it will be a struggle to get a guaranteed answer from anyone and that it may even be luck of the draw as to who assesses it when it arrives.

I have a feeling that a parcel with contents valued at less that £145 is tax free. The govt have written to Europe to ask for this figure to be raised as it was set in 1994.

It may be a suggestion to have them shipped to individuals, or maybe have the larger orders shipped to individuals. It'll be a balancing act between postage, customs, the manufacturers and the ability to make the calculations and the bother.

anonymous :grin:

Edited by Kitty Hawk

Have I missed something as recent post suggest the coins will be made in the USA and shipped over - I thought they were being sourced in the UK.

Anyway if under or about a fiver I would certainly take at least 4 - and my vote goes for Latin for the reasons already given, after all it amounts to encryption.

One thing I don't know, and I would appreciate if anybody else can help with suggestions for this, is how to find out if and how much UK Customs are likely to slap on top of any order.

Working on this Ali - I have a call in with HMCE but the classification of the 'goods' is proving...difficult :grin:

Darn Taxman!

Have I missed something as recent post suggest the coins will be made in the USA and shipped over - I thought they were being sourced in the UK.

Unless anyone can find a mint in the UK (barring the Royal variety who only mint the sterling coins and their own commemorative coins) we are stuck with sourcing them from the US.

We have found a couple of hand makers in the UK but the cost becomes prohibitive.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

This may not mean anything to anyone else, but I am no longer a Tadpole. Can anyone tell me how this metamorphosis took place, and does that mean I have to get out of the water?

That ones simple :D , you've reached the magical "10" posts, and are now "Officialy" addicted to the forums, with the privilage of being called a Geocacher :blink:. As for geting out of the water? In this country! :D

Dave :D

They are UK geocoins in that they will be supplied and tracked by us in the UK and will bear various UK designs and phrasing (if we ever decide on a motto, LOL!). They will be made wherever I can find somebody who will do a quality job at a suitable price. I am not so jingoistic as to demand that they have to be physically made in the UK. :blink: That said, if I get a good response from a UK manfacturer, then they may be made here.

If I was going to really split hairs I would point out that the metals copper, zinc and tin are not generally mined in the UK, so it would be nigh on impossible to get a 100% British product anyhow. :D

Edited by Alibags
But isn't this a quintessentially Third  Millenium activity, and English is the Latin of the Third Millenium

Actually, I think you'll find that's American!

Latin is used on all other UK coins (and notes), and it gets my vote for UK Geocoins too!

I meantioned this coin to another cacher close to me and he would like some too. I was thinking I could take the orders from anyone around here and then they can all just be sent in one shipment. We would share the shipping that way. Who ever deals with the meat and potatoes of this deal can let me know if that's something they would like to do.

But isn't this a quintessentially Third  Millenium activity, and English is the Latin of the Third Millenium

Actually, I think you'll find that's American!

Latin is used on all other UK coins (and notes), and it gets my vote for UK Geocoins too!

Two nations divided by a single language, but even the americans still call it English B)

I am not so jingoistic as to demand that they have to be physically made in the UK.

Nor I, but it would be nice and maybe cheaper if someone in the UK was interested in the business

It would ceratinly be nice, but it would not be cheaper. On the quote I have had in, we are looking at 4 times the price!!! The nice man from Pobjoy mint actually asked me if I was sitting down before he told me the price! :(

I see no problems at all in sending them to the USA if Americans would like them (geocoin collectors?). It probably is best to send them to a single central point to save escalating costs even further! We can sort this out when the project has advanced a bit further.