Earn Cashe With Your Cache Trash

BooBooBee

I inadvertently earned $4.55 while traveling from cache to cache recently. I stopped in a wayside rest between caches (to change baby's diaper - PEW!) and discovered a mountain of glass, plastic and aluminum scattered throughout the grass there for about 30 yards. Grabbed a little grocery bag to start my endeavor, but ended up using every bag in the car and two boxes I found along road, too. Do you KNOW how much ONE person can pick up in five minutes?! It's astonishing first that so many people would leave THIS much trash around, secondly that it doesn't take but a few minutes for even an individual to gather, and thirdly how QUICKLY those recycling pennies add up.

We weren't anywhere near home (360-miles is TOO far to haul stinky beer cans), so I just stopped by the recycling center in the next big city we came to.

i know, but i don't live in a state that gives out money for recycling :blink:

my dad and i were in Rhode Island last summer and came across a park behind a library that had tons of trash and cans. we took them to the local grocery store and made around three bucks. we would have had way more, but for some reason most of the beer cans and bottles didn't work. anyone know why? they weren't smashed or anything. i mean, isn't that what the point of $ for cans & bottles is for? to keep old beer bottles and cans out of the way? it would work really well. drunks would want the extra cents and recycle them, instead of throwing them in a pond or something.

i know, but i don't live in a state that gives out money for recycling :D

my dad and i were in Rhode Island last summer and came across a park behind a library that had tons of trash and cans. we took them to the local grocery store and made around three bucks. we would have had way more, but for some reason most of the beer cans and bottles didn't work. anyone know why? they weren't smashed or anything. i mean, isn't that what the point of $ for cans & bottles is for? to keep old beer bottles and cans out of the way? it would work really well. drunks would want the extra cents and recycle them, instead of throwing them in a pond or something.

I hadn't even heard about fees for bulk recycling (if that's what you meant), but as for refunds for empty bottles, that's not something the state shells out, but an amount that gets added to the consumer price, which you get refunded when you return the bottle.

When I was a penniless student, I lived a few years in Antwerp, Belgium, close to the Dutch border, which I crossed very often. Belgians used to trash their 1.5 liter plastic coke bottles, but in Holland they were worth a whole guilder in refunds. Since they weigh almost nothing, I would take a huge bag full of empty such bottles with me :-)