Tooting Your Own Horn

JoGPS

Tooting Your On Horn, or Patting Yourself On The Back, Whatever You Want To Call It

I always thought that when another player did a copycat of one of my caches in another city or state because they thought it was different or cool, and they had never seen one like it was a great complement, then folks starting dedicating caches to me and that was Tooooo Cool.

We were at a geo Halloween event a few weeks ago and someone came dressed up like one of my signature CITO totes that was just Wayyyyyy Tooooooo COOL

What kind of complements have you had from geocaching just curious,

This is suppose to be a fun thread, please keep your flames to yourself, unless you just got to……………. JOE

22eeb372-6ef1-4b2b-95da-ede38e906c42.jpg

56e120dc-274f-46f0-86c8-033954f4c414.jpg

Mr Smiple

I've heard of your totes before but never saw one in person. I remember you left quite a few when you came through Chicago. From the picture it looks like a styrofoam can of insect repellant :huh:

What exactly is it, what can you tote in it, or is it simply used for taking out trash? I can't make out the size from the picture either. How do you fit them in a cache?

Edited by cachew nut

How about this (part of a 'found it' log on my second cache):

April 13, 2003 by CCCooperAgency (7110 found)

Only Jesus could have done a better job!

It's this cache here. Archived now because of a combination of muggling and weather. It was made from a chunk of a tree and hollowed out inside to contain the actual cache. I think the comment above referred to Jesus being a carpenter, the cache did not perform miracles!

What kind of complements have you had from geocaching just curious,

This is one of the best compliments I've ever gotten on one of my cache pages:

Thanx Snoogans, for showing me this fantastic place.... THIS is what geocaching is all about! :DB):D

Also, bthomas lists one of my caches (GCGF8P) in his Top 1% Fav's, on his profile page. I consider that an EXTREME compliment since he is on the down side of 4,000 finds at this moment. B)B)

I also consider a cool picture to be a compliment and a great advertisment for my cache: I could post dozens like this. Ooooo, and this! And THESE...... B):huh:OK, just one more. :D

My personal fav:

I can't count the number of emails I have from geocachers saying that this is their favorite cache EVER. B)

As you can see, geocaching is truly a source of happiness for me. :)B):huh:

(BTW- I hear that I'm quite popular up in BC for some reason..... It's mystery to me. :D )

Edited by Snoogans

My favorite ever was this log:

This has to be the BEST cache I've ever found and that is saying a lot in an area where I've found a lot of BrianSnat caches.  I've come to think that using BEST and BRIANSNAT in the same sentence is redundant.  The worst BrianSnat cache is better than 99.999999999 percent of the caches in the world.  Not only that, I've looked at his profile and he is incredibly handsome.  I've printed his picture and have it at my desk at work, where people stop by and say "Is that your husband? He's sooooo handsome". All I can say is I wish.

Seriously, one of the best compliments I've had was when I noticed a new cacher in the area hitting my caches. I took a look at his profile and I think 11 of his first 12 finds were on my caches. Since there are many other choices in the area, I figured he was either a stalker or he really liked my caches.

When he placed one. I found it and it was very similar to mine, down to the wording of the cache letter laminated and glued to the lid of the cache and the paint job on the ammo box.

Edited by briansnat
My favorite ever was this log:

This has to be the BEST cache I've ever found and that is saying a lot in an area where I've found a lot of BrianSnat caches.  I've come to think that using BEST and BRIANSNAT in the same sentence is redundant.  The worst BrianSnat cache is better than 99.999999999 percent of the caches in the world.  Not only that, I've looked at his profile and he is incredibly handsome.  I've printed his picture and have it at my desk at work, where people stop by and say "Is that your husband? He's sooooo handsome". All I can say is I wish.

Is that the picture of him with a mouthfull of squid ? :huh::DB)

Oh, what the heck... ;)

Devious indeed! We thought you had topped yourself previously. Here you have for sure! If we had rating systems for caches, this one would definitely rate a 10! Very creative.
On my list of all-time favorite hides, this is #2! Is it a cache or is it art? Brilliant.
This was the most unusual and most fun hide we have encountered.
After eleven visits to the site and a lot of help I finally found it. I love this cache. It had me going NUTS for two weeks. Everybody I talked too (Geocachers or not) heard about this cache. Now that I found it maybe I won't talk about it so much. Thank you PerkyPerks for the most challenging hide. This is not for the cacher that wants to stumble over the cache.
This is one of the best, unique caches that I have done. Love it; it was creative, fun, a cool and brilliant cache that I have seen. I can see also that other cachers enjoyed it just as well by what they said. Thanks for this terrific cache that you put together for us.

Two recent one come to mind, and both from this past weekend.

This one was posted to a thread started by a visitor to our area asking for cache recommendations. The bolded header really made me grin :) :

Caches that force you to adjust your thinking

Alexander's Ragtime Cache - this one gets alot of DNF's

Method to my madness - unusual.

And then there was this email from the owner of a particularly diffifult cache we found on our weekend adventure road trip to the mountains:

and  top job for doing High Water! & Tube Torcher in a day!

Yup, Team CHB (minus two charter members, but plus two premium members) found BOTH western NC 5/5's this past Saturday. :):D;)

PS Thanks for starting this thread so I could mention our accomplishment in the forums JoGPS. Now about this copycatting-did you ever deploy the container I gave you at GW2? :)

Edited by wimseyguy
Ummm... well... tentative brag for me...

First cacher to locate a cache on the grounds of a large chain hotel with full permission... thus most likely paving the way for similar safe caching near large airports from here on?

Is that OK?    ;):)

I'm glad the LAX incident is behind us and being handled in a positive manner.

Sorry to burst your FTH bubble but I got you beat on this one. You can be second to locate.... :)

I've heard of your totes before but never saw one in person. I remember you left quite a few when you came through Chicago. From the picture it looks like a styrofoam can of insect repellant ;)

What exactly is it, what can you tote in it, or is it simply used for taking out trash? I can't make out the size from the picture either. How do you fit them in a cache?

It's essentially a round surf-safe, about 5" tall. A really fancy CITO container -- and much appreciated! I've found a few around town, and had to take one of 'em.

I've got a few nice compliments around town -- most of which were WELL after the muttering-under-the-breath search-cursing!

Well I have to say I was pretty flattered when a member that uses a certain multicolored frog avatar wrote this about my first cache.

You have NO idea how much  this poor former-farmboy wants to find your cache!  I've never seen a FTF like that before.  I keep coming up with ways I could get to Antartica and not sell my house to do it, but I just can't seem to make it happen!

Cone_Z

Not much of a compliment, but a compliment none the less.

FTF!!!

That suprised me to see this had not been found yet. I saw it this morning, didn't get to it untill 6 tonight. It took quite a few minutes to locate it, well hidden and small. The log book is really small. I checked both sides of the fence before finding it. Good job G'n,G.

;)

Nevada    Saturday, April 17, 2004

abeyoni found Rusty's Revenge (Don't take any wooden Nickels.) (Traditional Cache)   

SW 11mi from your home coordinates.

FINALLY got over to your cache. The wait was well worth it. What a fantastic hide. Great work on the cache itself. Spent 30 minutes on my hands and knees feeling and pulling on everything. Coords were right on, yet I still hunted all the way up and down. One of my faves. Thanx so much for the superb effort. I promise not to wait so long to find your next hide. LNTNSL. Was glad to get it and start moving again. It was snowing on me the whole time. My 100th find in '04 and one of the best. CACHE ON!!! ABE (317)

Nevada    Thursday, February 19, 2004

TahoeJoe found Rusty's Revenge (Don't take any wooden Nickels.) (Traditional Cache)   

I was very impressed with this cache and the time and energy that went into creating it. It took TahoeBerne and me quite some time to find it. Finding caches like this is what geocaching is all about! Thanks for the great cache.

Nevada    Sunday, November 16, 2003

water found Rusty's Revenge (Don't take any wooden Nickels.) (Traditional Cache)   

WOW after logging about 50 caches in our two years plus of geocaching this one has to be the cleverest one yet. You get the prize for challenges and creativity. Almost didn't spot it. It was a beautiful Sunday morning at this great spot. Took nothing and left a keychain. Thanks for the fun.

-water

It just goes on for page after page like that.

From my THE GRANDSON cache:

"This was GREAT! Almost couldn't find it even though it was right under our eyes. Ms. Bugman found it accidentally. Really enjoyed walking around and admiring the place. You did a really fine job on this. Thanks for the fun."

"Very ingenius hide."

"Excellent workmanship on the cache/camouflage. We were a little skeptical at first as to whether a cache in a contemporary cemetary could be done tastefully, but you pulled it off. Nice job."

THIS comment means alot to me:

"And thanks for getting us into the great hobby!"

From my LAUGHLIN HIGH ROLLER cache:

"Clever hiding spot." "Great hiding spot."

"Loved it. this cache was sooo much fun."

"Very sneaky hide, but fun."

"Of the 6 Micros I found in Laughlin this morning this was the most fun."

"This is a great cache, we had to do some stand and wait but it was fun, great idea."

"Of all the 400 or so caches I have been at, this one required the most patience."

"Great idea for a hiding spot.... wish we had thought of it! "

"Excellent spot for a cache. It takes a bit of stealth to retrieve and replace this one."

"This is the absolute top find in Laughlin! Team 360 should get a reward for their ingenuity."

"Thanks for the hide. I love this one."

"Great cache. Excellent clues and a fun one to find."

"Lots of people around, but this one has a cool location that allows you to take it with people right there (if you do it right)!"

"Kool Security and maintenance men all about. Retrieval was a rush."

"Great one!! Love it when you have to be in secret agent mode!"

"Great micro Jeff! My whole family thought it was really cool."

These comments always make me proud:

"Oh! This is my first find, yayyyy!"

"Very Nice. This is my very first geocache find. I found a new hobby. Thanx again."

"My first find! Yay!! Living in the area and having worked in a location like this one, i found this one right off. Great hide! I'm hooked on geocaching. Thanks!"

"Found the original and was my original (1st find) This is going to be enjoyable."

"WOOT! My first geocaching experience"

"My first experience at this - found it with the helpp of my son-in-law."

"Found this cache as my very first while on vacation in Scottsdale."

"THIS WAS OUR FIRST EVER CACHE FIND!!! "

"This was our first time GeoCaching, and we had so much fun!"

And of course, ANY log from THIS CACHE is a good one!

Toot toot!

From this cache.

You’re Number ONE! This cache ranks number ONE in my book. It has EVERYTHING - it makes you think, think and think some more and then it makes a fool out of you again and again and again – what more could you want. I could go on and on about how great I feel this cache is, but I won’t – just give it a try and find out yourself. This took my partners and me two trips and more time than we would like to admit, but we all feel it was one well thought out geocache. I took the jeep travelbug and want to THANK “ThePropers” for taking the time to layout this EXCELLENT  geocache adventure.

This is one of many positive logs I have gotten on this cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

May 21 by Cricketace44 (213 found)

This one really had me puzzled, and the hint actually took me further away. (This proves I'm not thinking like the big leagers yet). So today, while I was out and about, I thought I would give it another try (my third). Actually found it by accident. Knocked at the door because I wanted to let whoever was there know how cool I thought it was. Had a great talk with Night Stalker. Such things really bring the ol' enthusiasm back.

:o

Here are some nice logs of some of my puzzle caches.

Good Evening :

An excellent puzzle of a sort we haven't seen before. Both of us Mule Ears spent a long time contemplating the pictures (and falling hard for a red herring) before the ah-ha moment finally came. When it did, a quick clarification with Mr. Cow Spots, and the coords were ours.

We ventured out to those coords on our co-caching spree with Silny Jako Bek and Silny Jako Boy and claimed the generous first-finder's prize. We were unprepared for its generosity and humbly left a light stick, the best item in our swag bag.

Thanks, Cow Spots! Hope you have more rebus puzzles planned. Math and crypto puzzles are wonderful, but the right brain likes to come out and play too

50 Cent Words:

A perfectly calibrated puzzle--solved it with some pleasurable pondering with pencil, paper and a dictionary. Finding the actual cache was a nice diversion while my car was being repaired (from Geocaching damage?) at a Tucson dealer. Only disappointment was that I didn't need the 4WD capabilities of the Audi Allroad loaner. Would have loved to return it muddy!

Matryoshka:

Thank goodness! The spell of these evil little voodoo dolls has been broken. The cold sweats have passed, the trembling has subsided, and the pungent odor of bovine is gone!

Having had this solved for a couple of weeks was not helping matters. We were finally able to make the trip down and make the claim today. Of course, it had to be in true Dodge Podge fashion...how often does water flow in the Santa Cruz, anyway?! We had to regroup and come at it the easy way, then it was a fairly easy find.

We took the mini Sherlock Holmes book and the Geocache Army Soldier #83, left two shop towels and a mini wooden maraca keychain, and signed the log. Everything is in good shape.

Thanks for the fun puzzle and the cache!

Channel Surfing:

Once again, Cow Spots has come up with another challenging, amusing puzzle cache that those of us who have intentionally erased all traces of Calculus from our minds can enjoy. This one had fun aspects from beginning to end, and it gave me a welcome diversion from a long day on the "farm". TNLNSL

Games People Play:

Well, started on this puzzle when it first went up.. We all sat around the pool and worked it until we felt we had it enough to feel special.. At this point we went online to see if anyone else had found it already and had a surprise to find it wa not yet logged. This means we only have to contend with anyone enroute to the cache...

We load up the cache mobile and head off.. Arrived, found and searched both ends of the log book. FTF is achived and the best part is we had company along who also get to claim a FTF in Tucson. Since this is not home stomping grounds for them, we had a great time.

Left a 3d foam puzzle and took nothing. Thanks for some fun times around the pool

i started reading this thread and about 1/5 or so of the way in i read snoogans profile. by the time i got to "her name was sacagawea goldstein" i was howling. i enjoy a good laugh from a log (in this case, a profile). so i wanted to send my compliments along.

i've gotten a few compliments through the years on "where in the world" (hidden in a beautiful cemetary) or my mcp's (folks wanting to collect my signature item). it does bring a smile when the poeple voice their approval.

I think the greatest compliments I have recieved are the ones which go unsaid. I have only to look back overhow far caching has come in the areas surrounding my stomping grounds and see how the area has developed. I know that my efforts played a large part early on in seeding caches and bringing cachers along. But since I don't tend to toot-my -own horn a lot of that ealy work is only known to the original cachers in the area. Thanks Joe for the opportunity to toot my own horn.

From my first hide, Nearly Near a Mere Mere:

I must say, that is one of the best cammo jobs I have come across.
Having checked out Pyewacket's profile, I was pleasantly surprised with the challenge of this cache.
Very nice job of concealing the cache. You really have to think like a geocacher to find this one easily.

I'm honored by the comments made by such respected and experienced cachers.

Hi All. :laughing: If I may "honk my own TUBE-A".... I must say that when I came up with the original idea for the TUBE TORCHER, I would have never dreamed or imagined that it would be as popular a cache as it is! It started out being quite a bit different than it turned out. Originally going to be called Pipe Dreams, the farther CrotalusRex and I went with it, I knew we had to have a name change! With it being in the 2nd issue of the online magazine "Today's Cacher" and as of this post, having 182 watchers, I have to say WOW!!! So, I would like to thank and congratulate everyone who has attemped and finished it! You are truly one bunch of..... crazy people!!! JUST KIDDING!!! We hope everyone will continue to enjoy doing it as much as we've had putting it out!!! :anibad: THANKS!!!! Indianalee