Cache Attributes

Jeremy

Here's the general idea of cache attributes.

There is essentially a bank of attributes, and each type can have their own specific attributes. Since some attributes could be a yes or a no, I offer some of these options depending on the type. So if it is an event cache there is no need to say "recommended at night" but you may want to have "dogs allowed" or "campfires allowed."

We can add them at will, so it isn't a big deal to do so. I wanted this to be pretty flexible.

Once it is done, the cache pages will show the icons for the attributes you selected.

Feedback appreciated.

Jeremy,

As 9Key stated in another topic on this subject, Selector from him at Texas Geocaching Association, already has a good list that have been requested. You might want to review it for any categories you think might have not thought of.

I won't suggest the obvious, but I think they have all been used on cache pages here at one time or another.

Thanks for working on this great addition to the listings.

Cache Well

Hmmm... I just looked and it was there.  Did I miss it the first time?

No. It is just one attribute I didn't add for the test page.

Thanks, I thought I was losing it (again)

So... reading the test page, and thinkiong long and hard on the "Available at all times". Wouldn't it be better to approach it from "Only accessible during business hours" or something similar?

Once it is done, the cache pages will show the icons for the attributes you selected.

Can you give us an example of how this will appear on cache pages?

I hope that it will be done with the minimal amount of space used. One of the reasons I do not use "The Selector" (aside from the fact that I try to include all useful information in the cache page text) is the amount of space that the image takes up. I like neat pages - for a variety of reasons (including printing out the pages - and please, whoever is going to suggest PQs/PDAs - don't... been there, done that, didn't like it).

southdeltan

Interesting idea. Please do be sure to extend the DTD to include these so client-side software can intelligently filter/display these.

When we come out with a new version of the Groundspeak:cache namespace it will contain this info.

We'll probably position the data on the right-hand side of the cache page to keep from taking up too much space. It will be symbols-only to keep the size down, similar to how you can click on the example to see how they come up on the page.

when the attribute options get very dense, it becomes more difficut to list a cache where you don't want to give anything away.

for instance, i may hide one where a short swim is the best bet, but i don't want to say so up front. could there be a "be prepared for anything" attribute? i don't want the absence of indicators to be understood that is's going to be a short walk on flat terrain.

sometimes an indication that no boat is necessary but wading is required is too much of a hint.

i may want you to be prepared for anything, but maybe i don't want to spoil the surprise.

i DO recommend requiring the mention of fees if there are fees. often my budget is limited and i've planned for gas money, but not a seven dollar admission fee. if i drive a long way to find out i don't happen to have the bux to go in, i'm plenty toasted, and it happens more often than i like.

i am not interested in poaching anyone's trails, so finding an "alternate" parking isn't an option for me. i either go in legal or i don't go.

No GPS Reception

If there's no reception how would you list co-ordinates? And what about all the instances where one person has poor or no reception and everyone else is fine?

Or were you simply meaning caches like "the co-ordinates listed are the cave entrance, no GPS reception within the cave" etc

How would we keep people from creating difficulty 4s with "May require swimming" when it should actually be "Requires Boat". Though this already happens so perhaps it's irrelevant.

Also for requires boat adding something like Flat Water yes/no or White Water yes/no, or even better lets include the standard "class" scale, would be great.

An international rating scale for comparing river difficulty was developed using six classes or difficulty levels. Class 1, the easiest level, is defined as fast-moving water with small waves, a few obvious obstructions, and relatively little danger to accidental swimmers. The classes increase in difficulty, culminating in Class 6, which is described as extreme and exploratory. These runs are almost never attempted, even by expert paddlers, and offer extremes of danger and unpredictability. The consequences of a mistake can be severe or fatal.

More Info

Thorin

Edited by thorin

This feature is going to be great!

Mr. Irish, when the PQ's are setup to query on these attributes, will we be able to include or filter out by "attributes not set"? There will be thousands of caches where the owner has long been gone from geocaching and will not be updating thier cache page to set these attributes. These caches have a life of thier own and geocachers are maintaining them as we find them (adding logbooks, cleaning out geo-trash, etc). :huh:

Thanks!

How about something to the effect you must read the cache page?

Some caches, though they are traditionals, might have special requirements not covered in the selector. Maybe it's certain approaches that are not readily visible on site.

This would allow folks to be able to filter on those caches where you can just show up and not have to worry about unforseen problems.

I don't know if you remember, but this would be like designating a cache as "Commando." Your loaded GPS and pen would be all you need!

Just a thought.

Otherwise, my biggest thing is, and has been, special equipment rating 5 stars. If you add a "Other Special Equipment" and "Other Specialized Knowledge*" to the ones you already have then there would be no need to rate what would normally be a 2 star cache as 5 stars just because you need some rope.

*Hunts might include spelunking or other areas where you should have to know what you're doing before you get yourself in trouble. Not saying a cache would be in a cave, maybe just a clue. Mainly, it's not for the things we can think about, it's for the things we can't. (To steal a quote.)

In that vein, phobias? Normal ones like heights or close quarters, not stuff that one would normally run into in the woods like spiders or snakes. This is certainly in the "too much" category, but throwing out so others can comment.

Bingo, CR. And also, built into the site so that the possibility of user error is decreased, and exposure to the useful tool is increased. Misuse of the third party solutions has slowed down many a cache review for me as I assist cache owners with basics like "you have to check the html box."

I guess I don't understand this new project. There's two exisiting web apps that already have all of the icons / attributes mentioned here.

Seems like its redunant. ;)

The problem with the other sites is that you can't query on these attributes. Many people may only want to see "kid friendly" caches for the family cache group.

I guess I don't understand this new project. There's two exisiting web apps that already have all of the icons / attributes mentioned here.

Seems like its redunant. ;)

I think the selectors out there (like yours) are great, but you can't filter them in or out on search queries.

I'm not so sure if "close to highway #x" is more important than, or a better way of saying "less that 500' from the car/parking" phrasing already used by the Selector. :) I can easily see the proximity to the highway on the map.

Also I'll echo the icon for "Hey Stupid! Be sure to read the cache page for some special instructions beofre you hunt this one!" Maybe we can get the right to use Homer Simpson?

I suppose RTFM wouldn't be family friendly enough? ;)

Edited by wimseyguy

..quire a boat. twenty feet does not even justify putting my boat on the car.

there are some caches where saying that it requires a boat is enough of a hint to loacate the cache, which is problematic in the case of a puzzle cache for which you might prefer to use a boat.

I suppose RTFM wouldn't be family friendly enough?

What is unfriendly about Read The Fine Manual?

Additional Instructions Required may be a friendly solution.

AIR works for me.

Can we have a "postive negative" as well? Meaning a postive indication that reading is not required to weed out those were the choice is not made.

Thanks

Okay, now what about if you're wanting to keep some things a mystery. You don't want to lie, but you don't want to give things away, either.

By looking at, say, "Climbing Gear" you have "N/A" and "Required." Is "N/A" the same as saying "Climbing Gear Not Required?" But what if it is, you're just not wanting to say. Not looking at that particular one specifically, but I think you see what I mean--the equivalent of "This attribute intentionally left blank."

Thanks.

I'm not so sure if "close to highway #x" is more important than, or a better way of saying "less that 500' from the car/parking" phrasing already used by the Selector. ;) I can easily see the proximity to the highway on the map.

Also I'll echo the icon for "Hey Stupid! Be sure to read the cache page for some special instructions beofre you hunt this one!" Maybe we can get the right to use Homer Simpson?

I suppose RTFM wouldn't be family friendly enough? :)

Perhaps a better way to say it would be something that indicates that the cache is easily accessible by people who are driving through the area. Something that reflects that it's not 2 hours out of the way, even if it is a level 5, it could take less than 30 minutes to go and return to the freeway without having to be familiar with the local streets.

Since Pocket queries are limited to 500 caches, many of the queries that I have performed have only yeilded a 10-20 mile radius (i.e. San Jose with level Terrain 2.5 or less). This causes me to have to perfom 10 seperate PQ's to get from Monterey to Portland. Yes, I know I can (and do) use GSAK, but if I can do this easily with 2 or 3 PQ's, then trip preparation would be much simpler.

I know a lot of retired folks that would love to know that they can get there and back in thier RV without a lot of hassle.

might be more that $.02 this time :)

And... knowing that "critical" information is located in the cache page would help also, but wouldn't I already be looking at the cache page to know that? I guess I could filter it out if I want to ignore those in a "grab and go" caching scenario.