Changing Tbs Name And Goal, Maybe Owner.

Ambrosia

I looked through the posts but didn't find this question.

A couple of years ago we were in the NE and bought some cute little stuffed animals that had zippered pockets in their back. We sent one of them off right from there, with the goal of reaching my husband's mom in Wenatchee Wa. The other two we kept, brought home and released from there. One of them was for our daughter, and was sent off with the goal of going to Hawaii and back. The third one was for our son, and was supposed to travel around in Canada, and then come back.

The mother-in-law and daughter one came back, and the son's has gone missing.

Anyway, the point is, my mother-and-law want to keep their cute stuffed animals, and not have them be hitch-hikers anymore. But here we have two tbs that would be great to send out again, but maybe with new owners and definiately with different names. Is this possible? Can you change owners? And much more importantly, if you change the name and goal of a tb, are you going to mess up a bug and it's logs for all the people who have it on thier watch list and have been watching it's story unfold?

How should this be handled?

I think it can be done by editing the TB page. I also think that as long as you don't delete any logs then the TBs previous history will be maintained. The only down side I see is that your newly released TBs will be starting out with all of the previous miles accumulated. I do not think there's a way to reset that.

You may have noticed I used the word "think" alot in the above reply - that's because I don't know for sure if you can do those things or not :o. Give it a try and let us know if it worked or not.

Zack

But here we have two tbs that would be great to send out again, but maybe with new owners and definiately with different names. Is this possible? Can you change owners? And much more importantly, if you change the name and goal of a tb, are you going to mess up a bug and it's logs for all the people who have it on thier watch list and have been watching it's story unfold?

I just got my new TB tags yesterday and I'm anxious to launch my first bug! Has anyone found out yet? Sounds like you can change the goals. Of course you would leave all the old logs, but...

Can you change the names of TB's?

Can you change owners of TB's?

The owner can edit the bug to change the name along with the goal.

Changing owners would require Groundspeak assistance and I think they might tend to frown on spending time changing owners unless there was a technical problem to correct.

Thanks BlueDeuce, that answers all the questions.

Since the owner will always remain the owner of the TB, it will be interesting to see how it pans out a few years from now - when kidnapped TB's start appearing in garage sales and buyers discover geocaching for the first time. Perhaps the missing TB's will start their journeys again.

You can change the goals. Anything you cannot change on the edit page would have to be changed in the database. This can be done by sending an e-mail to contact@Groundspeak.com and then have patience for the change to be made. Once the change is made you're good, but you have to give them time to go through the thousands of e-mails they receive. Oh, and let's try not to make this common practice. Too many requests like this could become a problem.

Edited by Eartha