My Vista Is Here

Texan78

Well i just got my Vista this afternoon, due to the cloud cover and rain im only getting 2 sats. to lock. Im guessing this is normal. So until then i wont be able to set it up and get caching. I hoping tomorrow weather permiting i will be able to grab my first cache. So can anyone tell me a way to set the time without a sat. lock. The manual seems tell me but it doesnt work when i try it, or is this something the Sats. will do.

I use a Vista also and I've never seen a day where due to cloud cover that I only got two sats. I have seen where it has taken 20 plus minutes for a standard yellow etrex to build the satellite diary and generate a location. This occurs after moving a long distance. I don't remember the first time I turned my systems on in the states, but if I had a new GPSr, I would just let it set for 30 minutes with a clear view of the sky and see if it gets a lock.

Texan78,

Good luck with your new unit. I use the Vista also, and I am very pleased with it.

It will take a good 15-20 minutes the first time you turn it on, and maybe a good 5-10 minutes each time thereafter. I am not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems to lock in quicker if you are moving (walking).

G O Casher

Well i just got my Vista this afternoon, due to the cloud cover and rain im only getting 2 sats. to lock. Im guessing this is normal

No its not. Cloud cover should have little or no effect on your reception. Find an open field (a nearby ball field will do), go to the middle of it and turn it on and let it sit for about 15 - 20 minutes so it can build a full almanac of sat data.

You should be good to go after that. If it has trouble acquiring at first, click on "continue acquiring". Once you've done this you shouldn't have problems unless you reset your unit, or move to another part of the world.

Yea i wanted the 60cs, cant afford it right now though, and it looks like 4 more heres of Bush aint going to help me afford it anytime soon ethier. I guess i need to start learning GSAK. Is there a way you can set your home cordinates so that it will give you the miles away from your home waypoint.

Ok i sat it out on my patio on the table and went in an ate dinner. When i came back they were all locked. Man the base maps blow. I definately need MG. Thanks for all the help guys. Im sure i will have more in the future.

Yeah base maps are pretty useless. Same for most GPS's. I think the Garmin 76CS has a more detailed base map, but generally they are pretty bad. Mapsource maps make your GPS's mapping much more useful.

Man the base maps blow. I definately need MG. Thanks for all the help guys. Im sure i will have more in the future.

yep, the MapSource if WELL worth the money. Not only for the maps, but the points of interest, addressing, and other features make it a bargain.

Congrats on the GPSr, welcome to the wonderful sport of ours. Good luck on the first find!!!

Edited by roadway57
Each of the GPS satellites has an onboard atomic clock which will be used to set the clock inside your GPS. This will make your GPS probably the single most accurate timepiece you own.

That is true in theory, but in practice the processing of the GPS data takes time and therefore the time the unit displays is actually 1-2 seconds behind.

Radio-controlled clocks are more accurate because this "processing delay" is shorter.

Mapsource maps make your GPS's mapping much more useful.

Does Garmin give you periodic updates to their maps? Best I can tell Magellan doesn't so in a couple of years your maps will be out of date and you have to buy the entire map software again to get current.