The Mother Of All Caches

rusty_tlc

I work in an industrial section of town. Across the alley, actually pretty big since every building has loading docks, is a juice dispenser company. The sell dispensers but the real money in in selling the concentrate. Walking through the place is like reading a soda can. Potassium benzoate and erythorbic acid by the pallet. What catches my eye is the gigantic stack of food grade 55 gal drums beside the last loading dock. These are the kind with the cam lock ring on top that can be opened and re-sealed.

Lets make the following suspensions of belief for a moment;

- All odor could be removed from the drum.

- Somewhere somebody would grant permission to hide a 55 gallon drum on their property.

Would this be the mother of all caches or what? Completely water tight, and for all practical purposes unlimited capacity.

Has it been done? What would out do this?

Edit: Wow I should have spell checked that long ago.

Edited by rusty_tlc
I can hide it, but don't have access to a drum. ;)

It would make for one heck of a day though trying to get it to the spot once it's been scouted without being observed. 300' of rope might be needed...

I already have permission to take as many as I want. They only have 200 - 300 out there. Mango concentrate anyone?

If you ever want to make a weekend of it, we can find a spot. There are plenty of rock piles in cool places that could swallow a 55 gallon drum whole. At least people would have a shot at finding it...

It's good to know there are still place left in the west with rocks. We're getting pretty low on them around here. ;)

How far are you from Reno again?

i think it would be funny if someone waited out in it and jump out as a ftf scare of course i wouldnt expect someone to wait out there for days but if it was released for an event someone would only have to hide out there for a little while they even could have someone be a spotter and let them know when someone is coming then they could just get in then

i think it would be funny if someone waited out in it and jump out as a ftf scare.

You don't need someone to wait inside it. Just get one of those spring loaded can snakes custom made for the 55 gan can. ;););)

As far as the mother of all caches-um I think Monkeybrad already has one that could hold several container this size. :lol:

It would still be pretty cool to find one that big. Maybe you could get a hollywood propmaster to make an oversize guradrail and then hide it to the back with a magnet? ;)

.... Just get one of those spring loaded can snakes custom made for the 55 gan can. .....

I can see the headline now "Geocacher decapitated in bizarre joke can of nuts accident!", B):lol: .

Rusty, you just made me snort my apple juice out of my nose.

The kitchen staff turned to see why I was laughing at my computer. :o:o:lol::huh:B)

If you ever want to make a weekend of it, we can find a spot.  There are plenty of rock piles in cool places that could swallow a 55 gallon drum whole.  At least people would have a shot at finding it...

It's good to know there are still place left in the west with rocks. We're getting pretty low on them around here. :huh:

How far are you from Reno again?

It's not so much the rocks as where they are at.

I keep hearing about them, but it is always just a house with a cache in it or a logbook on the front porch. To me for the house to be a cache, it would have items to trade and a logbook inside. If you cannot trade for the table in the house, then I do not view it as a cache.

All you need to do is think of someone you hate, post the coordinates to their house, and invite others to trade for their furniture. It's brilliant!

Ever since I made the, joking, post about the railroad car it's been on my mind.

This would be the ideal camouflage.

1) Obtain permission to use an out of the way siding. Like the one I saw 50 miles from anything on the end of a dis-used spur.

2) Buy a condemned freight car, park it on the siding.

3) Log book and trade stuff inside, get the cache approved. Do not specify a container size.

I can see people hunting all over the freight car for a cache.

I like the freight car idea.  I think you should ask people to leave items as large or larger than they placed.  I can just see the log now.  Took happy meal toy, left a sofa.

....took sofa, left tractor.

Took Tractor. Left Semi and lost Gps. Could you bring it back? :( LOL

now where did I leave that space shuttle? Oh yea in the cache that I got the semi from. :blink: No sign of the missing gps Was there a porta jhon there

I like the freight car idea.  I think you should ask people to leave items as large or larger than they placed.  I can just see the log now.  Took happy meal toy, left a sofa.

....took sofa, left tractor.

Took Tractor. Left Semi and lost Gps. Could you bring it back? :( LOL

now where did I leave that space shuttle? Oh yea in the cache that I got the semi from. :blink: No sign of the missing gps Was there a porta jhon there

Took Space Shuttle, left two rabbits (m/f).

There are a couple of caches out there that are actual HOUSE, so this is just another container. I have a cache that is a 5 gallon bucket that is full of stuffed animals called Teddy Bear Picnic for kids.

cheers

Is there any way of linking to a few of the house container types for an example? I'd really like to see one of these (that's nifty)!

I like the idea of the train car. I no were there is a few I might be able to get permission to use? I like the idea of trading up in size, and this might work. There are two shops, one ice cream and the other nicknacks. They migth like the trafic, kinda like a sponser. There is also a cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7bb51092-9466-40d7-a105-4e36f50b239d) Not sure how to get you to see this one. This is a very cleaver cach. The bird house is a model of the train car next to it, and the cache is in a section of the wheel. It was great I didn't get the clue in the name "wheel thing" till I was on the way home, and it was like that was so cool. Sorry if the link didn't work, try (Not Just for the Birds, Look for the Wheel Thing) zip code

49461. Thanks for reading. Todd & Team Breakaway