Do You Use Your Gps For Work?

Milbank

Not for my full-time job, but as an EMT with the local FD/EMS agency, it has come in handy. Several years ago (when I had an ICOM GP-2), I responded to a motorcycle vs. pickup truck crash. On arrival, I handed the GPS to one of the other guys so he could relay its lat/long reading to dispatch. Back then, it took several minutes to get a solid reading; by the time the first assessment and IV's were in place, he had spoken with dispatch and the helicopter had coordinates for a landing zone.

Yes. I work in the GIS (Geographic Information Sytem) and surveying fields and use my Garmin Map60C, and Legend, to do all sorts of GPS tasks. For example in GIS I record track logs to create maps of bike/hike trails, or to roughly determine extents of areas of interest. In surveying I locate USGS benchmarks or other control points I need to set my instrument on. I've actually located several dozen sanitary sewer manholes under a foot of snow in winter in upstate New York using my 60C for an engineering study. This helped immensely in saving time and moved the project ahead by 3 days.

I use my GPS with MS Streets & Trips for navigation to some of my employers utility substations, as most are located in very out-of-the-way locations. (The utility covers multiple states, and I'm often traveling to remote areas.)

We also use GPS receivers to sync the time of day clocks of various equipment. Some of which assists in very precise measurement of power flows. Not as much fun as geocaching, admittedly.

Sure do! I run the engine room on a towboat on the Lower Mississippi. We do our crew changes by van, and we keep a database of about 65 waypoints (growing) of boat ramps and fleet offices between New Orleans and Cairo, Illinois. This one is not untypical- N34.25783, W90.83836 (Fair Landing)It saves a lot of backtracking and searching on dirt roads and cotton fields in the rural South. I recently purchased a 60c; I also use it with an external antenna to see exactly where we are. Happiness is never having to ask the pilothouse where we are--- ;):lol:

Tom

Law enforcement. We use GPS everyday. We have GPS mounted in all our squads which is hooked into our in-car computers. All our crash reports are located using lat/long instead of addresses, street names, and mile markers. For manhunts, etc, GPS works great as it gives us the officer's exact location.

Hooah!

I take my trust GPS12 with me to the field to help me find units, track marches, find my way back to my vehicle, report wildfires in the training area. (Yeah, you call range control and give them a 10-digit grid on a fire and they are impressed!)

Someday I hope I'll get a vehicle with a plugger or blueofrce tracker, but for now, and even then, I'll have my handy Garmin with me wherever the mission takes me.

I use mine for laying out mechanical logging jobs. First I drive on the exiting roads and mark waypoints for landings [a place that you drag logs to load them] then I walk and mark with flags the middle of the area between the landings. I use a garmin 60c and I like the distance feature of the waypoints always trying to keep the distance under .25 miles. With out the gps you only be guessing the distance.

Scott