Got Gps Now What???

ultramaxhunter

Ah yes, I remember my first find; you always remember your first.

Quickest and most painless way to get started: go to the Main webpage and type in your zip code in top right corner. You will get a full page of caches. The third column, "D/T" indicates the Difficulty and Terrain ratings. 1 being easy and 5 being the most difficult. Pick the nearest 2/2 or lower. Read the logs for hints.

Then enter the coords into your GPS. You can do it manually or download a program from the Website. I suggest Easy GPS because it quite user friendly. But GC offers an old version; go to Easy GPS to download lastest version.

Good luck.

But the best advice is search the site for a nearby cache (rated 1/1, to start) and go find it!!

The best advice is to learn how to use your GPSr and how your particular model behaves. Go to an open field, mark a known object as a waypoint, move a couple hundred yards away, then let your GPSr take you to it. Do this several times. Watching how your GPS acts when you KNOW where the target is, and seeing how it gets you there, will be invaluable experience when you hunt a cache...

But the best advice is search the site for a nearby cache (rated 1/1, to start) and go find it!!

The best advice is to learn how to use your GPSr and how your particular model behaves. Go to an open field, mark a known object as a waypoint, move a couple hundred yards away, then let your GPSr take you to it. Do this several times. Watching how your GPS acts when you KNOW where the target is, and seeing how it gets you there, will be invaluable experience when you hunt a cache...

:o Sure wish I had seen this before I went out today looking for my first cache! When I read your comment, it was certainly a DUH moment. Thanks for making the lightbulb turn on. :)

This is fantastic advice. :o