Best Hiking Book For Mid-atlantic

HoundGrrls

I am looking for book advice about hiking in Mid-Atlantic. Specifically books with pictures of stuff to avoid (Brown Recluse, Poison Sumac, etc.) and nature facts pertinent to the area.

I am in the greater D.C. area and am an exprired member of Potomac Appalation Trail Club. Do you know if PATC or even REI gives hiking/nature basics classes that are similar to the book I am interested in? Another organization?

Thanks,

Melissa of HoundGrrls

The way you word your question I believe you are more interested in how to hike safely than in where to hike in the DC area.

If what you have little or no experience, and are concerned with safety I would recommend contacting a local club that runs group hikes. During these hikes the leader will pass on some of his/her knowledge of general hiking. You will also have the opportunity to talk and learn from other experienced hikers.

Although I am not aware of how clubs run in the DC area, I believe PATC is mainly interested in trail maintenance (and they do a fine job of it.) Groups that have regularly scheduled hikes in your area include the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) – DC Chapter, the Capital Hiking Club, and Wanderbirds.

GOOD LUCK

PS - Living near Philadelphia I participate in and lead hikes/trail maintenance for the AMC Delaware Valley Chapter.

Things encountered while hiking are much less dangerous that things encountered while working or shopping or driving... relax and enjoy the time spent outdoors. If you are lucky enough to spot a Brown Recluse or a Rattlesnake savor the moment. Before long they will be replaced by a condo with a micro stuck to a dumpster....

You are right about more interested in "what is it that I am seeing" then where to go. I would like pics about looking out for bad stuff and pics for cool neat-o stuff. My desire for going with dogs plus my desire for my hiking adventure to look at something other than the person in front of me makes me shy away from the big groups.

Maybe I will tootle around to REI and check out their picture books for the MD/DC/N VA area.

Melissa

You are right about more interested in "what is it that I am seeing" then where to go. I would like pics about looking out for bad stuff and pics for cool neat-o stuff. My desire for going with dogs plus my desire for my hiking adventure to look at something other than the person in front of me makes me shy away from the big groups.

Maybe I will tootle around to REI and check out their picture books for the MD/DC/N VA area.

Melissa

Then maybe you'd be better off with something like the Field Guide to North American Mammals?, the Field Guide to North American Reptiles, Scats and Tracks of the Northeast, the Nat. Audobon Soc. Guide to the Mid-Atlantic States, or Dangerous Wildlife in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide to Safe Encounters in the Wild.