If YOU were park warden, what would YOUR policy be?

cleahy

I've been thinking about this. Obviously, park wardens are people, and there will be some jerks, and some that are TOO nice... As a Geocaching fan, what would YOUR policy be if you were responsible for maintaining a park for everyone's enjoyment?

I think mine would be as follows:

1) If I think it will cause too much traffic in a delicate area, it's gone.

2) If I find it accidentally, it's probably not well placed. In this case, I'll think about it, but if it is too obvious it looks like trash, and I will probably remove it.

3) I will keep a record of who placed what where, and if you repeatedly place a cache poorly, I will politely ask you to stop completely.

4) If I ask you to stop, and you continue, I will begin hitting you with fines.

5) All removed caches will be held one month, then thrown away. If possible, an e-mail will be sent notifying you of the removal. I would expect (and require) you to take care of having the cache archived. If you make ME request its archival, then I won't be kindly disposed to you.

A lot of times, if a group like ours comes up with a fair policy, it gets adopted by those in charge, so I think it would be wise of us to discuss it.

DrMemory

Depending on the area, I'd ask to check with me first. If my area had senisitve areas, I'd probably have a map detailing areas prohibited from placing caches and legs to multis. Might even limit the number of caches in the park.

I'd require prompt maintenance when needed. Don't make me go out and pick up your cache if I've asked you to (re)move it. Always maintain a active email account so I can contact you.

If I discover social trails, I'd ask for relocation. See above if that's not done.

Only secure containers.

Don't permanently alter anything in the park. Physical attachment, i.e. screws, nails, adhesives, etc, only upon approval by myself.

Links to online information--my website--on the cache pages so it's easier for cachers to find out about my park, it's regulations, policies, hours, etc.

Follow GC.com's guidelines if not superceded by my own.

Of course, if I were a park ranger, I'd have a few of my own out myself, probably some that highlights the park's points of interest. Probably even a letterbox or two. That is, if that would be allowed by those of a higher paygrade than myself!

If I were the director of a county park system, or state park system...

CR

72057_2000.gif

1) Geocaches are permitted

2) All geocaches will be reviewed in the field by a park ranger.

3) All geocaches will require a free 'permit' giving owner contact information for 24/7 contact.

4) Sensative area will not be allowed to have geocaches, park personell will place and maintain public caches in areas near the areas to prevent caches from appearing. This takes advantage of the 0.1' mile rule until such time as we can provide boundaries of off limits areas.

5) Geocaches will be rotated yearly to new locations.

6) Geocaches that do not comply with the above rules will be removed and the owner contacted. They will have 30 days to claim their property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of.

If I was actually a land manger I might need other rules too, but that would be my start. In other words, get permission, be responsible, and rotate caches (parks get lots of visition, a BLM site with 12 visits a year is different)

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

My policy would be to confiscate and destroy any motorcycles, ATVs, ghetto blasters, or anything else which annoys the poop out of other people, and can't be avoided.

Now as far as geocaching goes:

* As long as the guidelines set up on geocaching.com are followed, it's fine.

Asking for things like a list of the contents of the cache is just meaningless nonsense (the contents constantly change). I think these agencies do it simply to discourage those who aren't serious, but it really just adds up to annoyance factor.

I think the government tends to attract people who can't think for themselves, and like to wield power. There are a few good ones out there, but they're few and far between. IMHO. icon_wink.gif

I'd probably do it they way it's done in my state. Allow it with a wink, but ocassionally check up on caches when I'm in the area to make sure they're not in a sensitive spot.

If I were asked to develop a reasonable policy, I'd probably implement the following rules.

1. Free permit required. Good for 1 year with, annual renewals.

2. A form must be filed with the park office listing coordinates of cache, owner's contact info (Name address, phone # and e-mail) and a description of the container and 2 photos. One of the cache in its hiding spot and another of the area surrounding the cache.

3. The Geocache must be clearly marked as such

and also marked with with the website(s) where it is listed and owner contact info.

4.The container must be water tight and animal resistant.

5.Caches must be hidden in a manner where they will not be seen by uninterested parties.

6.Permits can be revoked at any time, for any reason.

7.Caches must be removed by the owner within 21 days of the expiriation, or revocation of the permit, or the cache will be confiscated. The owner will be responsible for any costs associated with the removal.

8.The cache owner must visit and maintain the cache, within 30 of requesting a renewal, or the permit will be denied.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 26, 2003 at 09:03 AM.]

Hmmm... If I were a park warden...

• Since I don't require the hikers, disc golfers, playground users, bar-b-quers or anyone else who isn't actually removing resources from the park (fishing, hunting) or spending the night in the park (might need to know how many campers I have on site) to have a permit, I would not require a permit for Geocachers.

• As long as the cache is listed on gc.com, I figure I'm bright enough to figure out how to contact the cache owner, no need for paperwork.

• The cache should be marked and identifiable as a Geocache.

• Ammo cans rule.

• If an obvious spur trail develops toward the cache, I would ask the cache owner to disable the cache for a few weeks.

• I would monitor cache density in my park. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

• I would welcome Geocachers the same as any other park visitors.

• If I had specific areas that I wanted people (not just cachers) to avoid, I would post maps with 'off limits' areas marked at park entrances and trail heads.

{soapbox on}

It just bugs me a bit that parks build facilities to cater to some activities and then want to restrict usage by people who are willing to carry out the garbage left by the 'sportsmen'.

{soapbox off}

Dr. Memory,

I saw your post, and although this is slightly off topic, I thought you might find it useful. A group of geocachers in Lexington has organized and been working hard with state and local officials to see that geocaching is seen in a positive light to land managers. They have worked together and developed a set of rules that are very similiar to some of the ones posted above. For more information, you can check out www.geocky.org. I hope you find the site helpful.

KYtrex

-----------------

Do it today because tomorrow it may be illegal.