The "inventor" Of Gps

BilgeRat

For anybody that is interested, there is an interview with Bradford Parkinson, who led the team who developed GPS, in the Fall 2004 issue of American Heritage of Invention & Technology magazine. Quite a piece; turns out that he had to sell it to the Air Force--- Pity that there is not a link to the article on thier website, but it is worth the effort to find a copy.

Tom

Yea any invetion that can pose as a weapon or help the advance of mankind. You can bet the government is going to buy. Just like with alot of weapons that are being used in combat today. The laser guidance system was developed by this backwards redneck in his backyard. Today he still develops weapons for the US Gov. If i can find the link to the video i will pst it. It will blow your mind. One thing he is working on is a bulletless gun that works off radio waves and still poses great damage and he shows it on the video. Now that is wild. Looks like Star Wars isnt to far off.

Ok i found it, for broadband users us this link

<a href='http://java script: var%20newWinObj=window.open('cgi-bin/hitslog.pl?/techd.htm','techd','width=350,height=250,resizable=yes,menubar=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no')' target='_blank'>Broadband</a>

For dial-up users use this link

<a href='http://java script: var%20newWinObj=window.open('cgi-bin/hitslog.pl?/techc.htm','techc','width=350,height=350,resizable=yes,menubar=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no')' target='_blank'>Dial-Up</a>

It will blow your mind at what people are inventing

Sorry but your links dont work, they point to a java script. Do you have the URL to the main page they are found on?

Those are the main page links, one for broadband the other for dial-up. It might be an error on your part cause it works for me.

No, your links to the java script will not work here in the forum. What "main page" are you talking about??

Edited by Stunod

Well over 180 people have viewed it so its a problem on your end, some people will be able to view it some wont. It works for me when i click on it from inside the forum. When you click on it you have to wait for the Windows Media window to open. If you dont have windows media then you wont be able to view it.

Well over 180 people have viewed it so its a problem on your end, some people will be able to view it some wont. It works for me when i click on it from inside the forum. When you click on it you have to wait for the Windows Media window to open. If you dont have windows media then you wont be able to view it.

That is because you edited the URL you had there, the first set of URLs started with

a href='http://java script:

I have seen a M1A1 tank fitted with the same type is system, it fired a 25ish pound aluminum round. The only problem is the amount of power they need to fire, but that is being worked on.

I didnt edit anything, i dont know where your getting your information.
What a way to run up a post count. Initially, my browsers showed the links as Javascript calls, also. Today they point to a wmv file. Perhaps the forum tweaked the way links are presented. I will stop before I launch into a tirade about Microsoft's sabotage of Java and the web.

edit: The link now seems to be to a file about someone else entirely

Edited by blindleader
nope the video is still the same and right video that was intended to be posted.

Hmmm.... doesn't seem to work for me. At this moment the broadband link in your original post points to a vid about some bloke who likes to blow things up and invented some kind of electromagnetic gun.

It looks to me like the link in your original post is a generic filename (TechTV-B.wmv) and the website changed the content. Perhaps your browser cached the original one you viewed?

Does anyone have a current and correct link to the interview, either a video or a transcript?

If some of you would have would have read my first orignal post you would have know what the video was about. I never edited the link just the codecs for viewing since some couldn't view it. Just because you know how to right click & properties doesnt mean you know what your talking about

For the record since some seem to not read posts. I was adding to the comment about how the government seems to buy everything from civilians to put forth for thier own uses like what happened with the GPS. This "backwoods redneck" was inventing his own weapons for use by the U.S. Government. If you cant click a link and figure it out then dont bother with it. move on.

Yeah, most of us aren’t too careful in reading posts by people that can’t be bothered to construct a coherent sentence, spell, punctuate, know the difference between ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ or even have anything to say about the actual topic of the thread, which was, in fact, about an interview with Bradford Parkinson, not about how smart you are and how stupid everyone else is.

Movin’ on.

P.S. The run-on sentence was intentional.

Edited by blindleader
If some of you would have would have read my first orignal post you would have know what the video was about. I never edited the link just the codecs for viewing since some couldn't view it. Just because you know how to right click & properties doesnt mean you know what your talking about

For the record since some seem to not read posts. I was adding to the comment about how the government seems to buy everything from civilians to put forth for thier own uses like what happened with the GPS. This "backwoods redneck" was inventing his own weapons for use by the U.S. Government. If you cant click a link and figure it out then dont bother with it. move on. 

Some of us tend to gloss over some posts in a thread to quickly gain more knowledge about the original topic. In this instance, I personally read past your 1st post and skipped to the part where you said "I found it". You can call me stupid if you want to, but I also misinterpretted that to imply that you found the interview with Bradford Parkinson!

But if you're callin' me stupid, then you must be callin' everyone in this forum stupid. And you know what? You'd be very wrong if you did that! There's more brain power just in this one thread alone, than there is in all of McKinney, Texas!

Coming into a new forum, having just passed "Tadpole" status, and blasting some long-time members for a misunderstanding that YOU created doesn't show much class or evidence of the possession of very much gray matter!

We wish YOU would move on...

...Just my 2¢

(You're lucky I didn't give you a dollar's worth!) :huh:

I think I'll hang around with this one for a while, if you don't mind!

Edited by Neo_Geo

I guess the ones getting defensive must know who they are since i didnt name drop. I didnt know that you have write a post like you were getting graded for a college term paper. Also i didnt know a "Online" forum status marked your identity in the "Real" life. Its obvious you know nothing about where i live. So that attack on me was pretty immature since your doing nothing but calling the kettle black. So how is your ability of not reading post throughly a "Misunderstanding" on my part? Is it your lack of reading that led you to the comment that since i live in McKinney, Texas i must be stupid. Shows you what you know. So i guess your calling the hand full of people that live in Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney Texas stupid also. So how does that make you any better than anyone else with that comment?

I know who I am, and I have been acquainted with most of the people in this thread - but I don't know who you are! Generally we respect someone who doesn't necessarily write at or beyond 5th grade level, but I took exception to your case because of your know-it-all attitude and lack of respect for others in the forum!

You may not LIVE in McKINNEY. Did I say you LIVE in McKinney??? Maybe you work there, play there, GO CACHING THERE... I know a little more about you than you think I do! So maybe my "attack" was a little more well-founded and mature than you think it was!

My apologies to the good people of McKinney. Perhaps my comment was a little immature in that respect. I'm sorry for grouping such fine people with the likes of you. As they say, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch!

I will humbly say that I'm no better than anyone else in here or in McKinney - except for YOU! You come in here thinking you know everything there is to know about scripting and coding (while it's evident that you know only half of what you think you do), and you demean others who are confused by your posting links to content that is COMPLETELY OFF SUBJECT without warning!

When others express problems and confusion with the content of your messages, you simply judge them as incompetent. "It works for me - so you must be stupid!"

The whole basis of this forum is HELPING PEOPLE!!! We share things and ideas with people and help them to understand the evolving technologies in the GPS field. THAT'S WHAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU!!! I share things that are relavent to the GPS community. If one person is confused about something I've shared, then maybe they need a little extra help - and I try to give it. IF SEVERAL PEOPLE are confused by an idea, then I examine what I've shared and try to understand WHAT I DID WRONG to confuse more than one person.

So, you arrogant waste of human flesh and blood, listen and learn a little something about understanding and respect. You must EARN the respect of your peers. Do you think I have any respect for you? :D Nahhhh - I don't think so. You haven't earned my respect, and you've made it a whole lot harder on yourself to so.

...and you must understand your own limitiations as a person before people will understand you!

If it's too much for you to show a little respect, compassion and understanding for others - especially when you're so NEW to the community, then maybe you should find a community that doesn't respect others and welcomes people with no patience.

But since you probably join the forums to learn something from them in the first place, maybe they'll treat you like you've treated others here.

DID YOU READ FORUM GUIDELINES WHEN JOINING?

Yeah - you must've skipped over that part...

:huh:

Edited by Neo_Geo

Truly, it is worth going to a local bookseller and getting the magazine and reading the interview. Haven't heard anything on that--- :huh: I'm sorry, but it is not one of this month's linked articles. If it had been, I would have posted the link. My apologies.

Tom

Edited by BilgeRat

Sorry about that Tom, tried to post something intresting related to how the Government purchases civilan inventions like in the GPS, but some people cant read post througly. Since im just a "Tadpole" im a lesser person and im suppose to to take abuse from the forum "GODS". Since i dont take the time to post threads in a college manner, im stupid. I didnt see a sign that said you will be graded on your threads. Thats a real mature attack. Maybe if those selected few took as much time reading the post as they do attacking others because they careless about sentence structure. They might understand alot more of what the posts are about. How your lack of reading posts a misunderstanding on my part? Neo if you werent referring to me living in McKinney, then why did you mention it? Why dont you go back and read the posts attacking me and tell me if it was justified. I dont care what my rank is a Online forum board. That doesnt make you better than me, which is what you sound like. So how are you any better than me for your personal attacks. Your the one that took defensive stand. So does that mean your gulity for the crime?

Well, OBVIOUSLY somebody didn't read through my entire message - so I'll post that specific part again:

THAT'S WHAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU!!! I share things that are relavent to the GPS community. If one person is confused about something I've shared, then maybe they need a little extra help - and I try to give it. IF SEVERAL PEOPLE are confused by an idea, then I examine what I've shared and try to understand WHAT I DID WRONG to confuse more than one person.

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations!"

Edited by Neo_Geo
nope the video is still the same and right video that was intended to be posted.

Oh, I see. I thought this thread was about Bradford Parkinson, not some "backwards redneck in his backyard". What a waste of bandwidth.

Oh ok so i guess this statement towards me wasnt arrogant? Get over yourself, this is a online forum, not the real world. I dont care what you think of me. Your no better than me getting defensive over a remark that wasnt intended for you, but since you cant read you wouldnt have known that. I dont care what my rank is on this board, im not going to take abuse from anyone. So maybe you need to take a look at what your saying. Talking about "Im better than you" thats real mature remark, or is that your own insecurity talking. Why did you get defensive again? I dont come to forums looking for friends and i havent been going around acting like a know it all like your doing. I cant help it if someone cant click a simple a link and it doesnt work on thier computer. How is that my fault, since your saying "THATS WHAT I DID WRONG" So instead of naming dropping i just made a general statement, but i guess you thought you were included in the ones who cant click a link and got defensive. So just get over yourself.

Any chance of getting this thread back on topic without insults and finger pointing? Personally, I would STILL be interested in finding the interview mentioned in the original post. It was originally published in the print edition only of American Heritage of Invention & Technology but not provided online.

http://www.inventionandtechnology.com/

Hall Of Fame Interview: Bradford Parkinson

He knew the Global Positioning System could change the world, but first it had to face many obstacles.

by Jim Quinn

Haven't been able to find the magazine in local library or bookstore. Has anyone else spotted the text of this article copied to some other online location?

I didnt edit anything, i dont know where your getting your information. Those are the same links as before.

I just have one last thing.

If everyone would look at the bottom of Texan's original message with the links to the videos, and notice at the bottom where it says, "This post has been edited by Texan78 on Nov 2 2004, 10:43 AM". That just happens to be AFTER numerous people complained that it wasn't working and BEFORE people acknowledged that they do work.

That message was first stamped at Nov 1 2004, 11:20 AM, but he insists that he changed nothing.

Your statement "this is a online forum, not the real world," shows how truly ignorant you are. This online forum IS THE REAL WORLD! We are real people, sending and reading real messages from other real people! Somehow that's too difficult for you to realize! You seem to think that these words magically appear out of thin air in response to your self-important comments.

It's a good thing that you didn't come here to make friends, because you surely won't do that with an attitude like that.

You're as transparent as a thin sheet of plexiglass, but now you're branded with a big, fat "circle-double-bar-liar"!

baa19c22-1225-4453-8002-4cb2c9bbdb1a.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

Now... back on the original topic (which was "Hall Of Fame Interview: Bradford Parkinson").

You could go to their SUBSCRIBE page and request a "Risk-Free Issue". If you're lucky, that would be this current issue...

A subscription is $15.00 ($3.75 an issue). I might even pay it to read that one article. Or perhaps if you wait until next month or so, you might be able to purchase the one issue as an archive issue.

Call 800-627-4022 for subscriptions and customer service

Or

212-367-3100 for general information

Edited by Neo_Geo

Once again you seem to avoid my questions. The reason it says edited is because i went it to see how the link was listed and changed the codecs not the actully links. Even after that it still didnt work for some people. Also you still attack me and still im in the wrong amazing. You truly are a class act, why dont you practice what your preach. So i guess you have no life outside the internet since you consider a online Forum board the "Real World". So does this mean outside the internet your a nobody with no friends and you live your live strictly though the Online Forums boards? Is this because in the "Real World" your nothing but a grumpy old man that tries to flex his ego with a Forum board status cause in the "Real World" you have nothing. Its ok i wont hold that against you. Everyone needs a pretend life. Its just so funny how easy it is for those to get rattled. Especially the ones who get defensive when thier little "Internet World" gets threaten. Well you just go on with your bad self Mr. Internet Hero. If you think im going to take your s*** and anyone else your sadly mistaken. So since you CANT seem to read i will post it again. "Oh, I see. I thought this thread was about Bradford Parkinson, not some "backwards redneck in his backyard". What a waste of bandwidth. " I guess that statement towards me was justified or am i suppose to just take it because im a "Tadpole"? I didnt know in the "Real World" you had a title so dont try to demean me with a stupid Title. So yea your the better one, since you make innocent attacks on "Tadpoles" who tried to stand up for himself. So just beat it and find someone else to jack with cause i aint going to take your s*** partner

Once again you seem to avoid my questions. The reason it says edited is because i went it to see how the link was listed and changed the codecs not the actully links. Even after that it still didnt work for some people. Also you still attack me and still im in the wrong amazing. You truly are a class act, why dont you practice what your preach. So i guess you have no life outside the internet since you consider a online Forum board the "Real World". So does this mean outside the internet your a nobody with no friends and you live your live strictly though the Online Forums boards? Is this because in the "Real World" your nothing but a grumpy old man that tries to flex his ego with a Forum board status cause in the "Real World" you have nothing. Its ok i wont hold that against you. Everyone needs a pretend life. Its just so funny how easy it is for those to get rattled. Especially the ones who get defensive when thier little "Internet World" gets threaten. Well you just go on with your bad self Mr. Internet Hero. If you think im going to take your s*** and anyone else your sadly mistaken. So since you CANT seem to read i will post it again. "Oh, I see. I thought this thread was about Bradford Parkinson, not some "backwards redneck in his backyard". What a waste of bandwidth. " I guess that statement towards me was justified or am i suppose to just take it because im a "Tadpole"? I didnt know in the "Real World" you had a title so dont try to demean me with a stupid Title. So yea your the better one, since you make innocent attacks on "Tadpoles" who tried to stand up for himself. So just beat it and find someone else to jack with cause i aint going to take your s*** partner

I addressed each and every one of your concerns previously in the order they were expressed. I have wasted enough time on you, and to continue with this conversation serves no point whatsoever.

I could go on-and-on with you, but I won't. Everyone who reads through this entire post will know the truth and who's right and who's wrong.

Beleive it or not, I do have other more important things in life beyond this. If you want the last word so you'll think you won, go for it. ;)