Really Stupid Question - Don't laugh

Guest mkrafick

Guest mkrafick

OK, I bought my GPS last night and read the manual (I'm going to practice in the neighborhood tonight).

Blame this on the manual confusing me a little.

Ok, lets say I have a Lat and Long setting for a cache and am told that I am to start in a park parking lot.

What I should do is start in the parking lot - set it as Waypoint #1, then input my Lat and Long of the cache as a waypoint (if so what number waypoint, if I want to mark waypoints on the way) and hit go?

Thanks in Advance.

-Mike

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by mkrafick:

OK, I bought my GPS last night and read the manual ...

I'm not laughing at the question, but reading the manual?? ROTFLMAO - that's what we're here for! icon_wink.gif Make sure tracking is enabled so you leave an electronic breadcrumb trail.

-Craig

[This message has been edited by TeamCNJC (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:

OK, I bought my GPS last night and read the manual ...

I'm not laughing at the question, but reading the manual?? ROTFLMAO - that's what we're here for! icon_wink.gif Make sure tracking is enabled so you leave an electronic breadcrumb trail.

-Craig

[This message has been edited by TeamCNJC (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest mkrafick

I do have a Garmin ETrex - but the basic one w/out any cables, etc. So I can't download things directly.

So Should I do this:

1. Set Lat and Long of the cache as a waypoint.

2. Because I am directionally challenged - set begining waypoint at parking lot.

3. Hit Goto, and use navigation page

4. When I get close use the Map Page.

5. Find cache, Do happydance for our first cache, sign book, take picture, leave trinket?

BTW: Why not use the course pointer? Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the big dadgum arrow?

Guest BKDotCom

quote:
mkrafick pondered:BTW: Why not use the course pointer? Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the big (bad) arrow?

If your reception isn't any good (say 100ft ish error) the arrow will jump arround a bit or send you in circles for a while. As you get close to the waypoint (within 50ft) the arrow is always unreliable.. I think most people use the arrow until they get within 50ft, then switch to the map and good 'ol intuition.

Guest Elwood

and dont forget extra batteries, because you want your gps to keep going, and going, and going.....and take a regular compass and map with you, just in case, and a quick lesson from a local boy scout on how to use them never hurts either. BE PREPARED....for anything!

Guest Markwell

Sorry for the length of this post...

quote:

I do have a Garmin ETrex - but the basic one w/out any cables, etc. So I can't download things directly. So should I do this: 1. Set Lat and Long of the cache as a waypoint. 2. Because I am directionally challenged - set begining waypoint at parking lot. 3. Hit Goto, and use navigation page 4. When I get close use the Map Page. 5. Find cache, Do happydance for our first cache, sign book, take picture, leave trinket? BTW: Why not use the course pointer? Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the big dadgum arrow?

You've got it just about right, including your BTW. The way I use it is...

1. Sit in front of the screen until all hours of the night waiting for a new cache to be placed within a 1 hour drive (i've hit almost all of them so far).

2. The instant a new cache is logged, I load the coordinates into the eTrex (I can be done even without the satellite lock, just hit the page down while it's trying to lock). Also input any suggested parking coordinates. Remember that you can also change the NAME of the waypoint as well - you're not limited to 001, 002, etc.

3. Zoom over to the weather forcast for the weekend and see if it's above 32°F and not pouring down rain.

4. Wait impatiently for the weekend. Drooling over the possibility that other new caches might come up (repeat steps 1-3 as necessary).

5. Friday night: print off cache pages and any necessary maps. Pack backpack with necessities.

6. Saturday morning grab kid, feed him, pile him into the car, wedge the etrex into my steering column (see my August 13 8:43 a.m post here). Select waypoint and press goto.

7. Follow the "big dadgum arrow" to the cache. I never use the mapping page on the eTrex until I'm ready to come out - and then only as necessary. I think of that as a trail of breadcrumbs left by an invisible Hansel and Gretel.

Kidding aside, how you use the different functions of the GPSR is up to you. I know a cacher that doesn't like burying his head in the GPSR, so he sets it on Lat/Lon reading on the compass screen and occasionally looks to see if he's getting near. He never believes the arrow.

Some people (me included) also swear on using a compass to help out. That step 7 of my ritual above is GREATLY oversimplified. I think most would agree that the last 50 meters of a cache are the hardest. Some units act screwy from Auto-Averaging, you have to rely on the precision and accuracy of the hider's coordinates, there's usually tree cover near a cache to mess with your reception, etc., etc.

Good luck - and here's to your first find. There's nothing quite like it... Mine was "Dr. Spyro's Challenge" - I wept the day it was archived icon_wink.gif

And I'll tell ya - I have a certificate I created for my son listing each of the caches he found with me, and I can remember the minutest detail from EACH cache. icon_biggrin.gif What a great hobby this is!

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest Markwell

Sorry for the length of this post...

quote:

I do have a Garmin ETrex - but the basic one w/out any cables, etc. So I can't download things directly. So should I do this: 1. Set Lat and Long of the cache as a waypoint. 2. Because I am directionally challenged - set begining waypoint at parking lot. 3. Hit Goto, and use navigation page 4. When I get close use the Map Page. 5. Find cache, Do happydance for our first cache, sign book, take picture, leave trinket? BTW: Why not use the course pointer? Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the big dadgum arrow?

You've got it just about right, including your BTW. The way I use it is...

1. Sit in front of the screen until all hours of the night waiting for a new cache to be placed within a 1 hour drive (i've hit almost all of them so far).

2. The instant a new cache is logged, I load the coordinates into the eTrex (I can be done even without the satellite lock, just hit the page down while it's trying to lock). Also input any suggested parking coordinates. Remember that you can also change the NAME of the waypoint as well - you're not limited to 001, 002, etc.

3. Zoom over to the weather forcast for the weekend and see if it's above 32°F and not pouring down rain.

4. Wait impatiently for the weekend. Drooling over the possibility that other new caches might come up (repeat steps 1-3 as necessary).

5. Friday night: print off cache pages and any necessary maps. Pack backpack with necessities.

6. Saturday morning grab kid, feed him, pile him into the car, wedge the etrex into my steering column (see my August 13 8:43 a.m post here). Select waypoint and press goto.

7. Follow the "big dadgum arrow" to the cache. I never use the mapping page on the eTrex until I'm ready to come out - and then only as necessary. I think of that as a trail of breadcrumbs left by an invisible Hansel and Gretel.

Kidding aside, how you use the different functions of the GPSR is up to you. I know a cacher that doesn't like burying his head in the GPSR, so he sets it on Lat/Lon reading on the compass screen and occasionally looks to see if he's getting near. He never believes the arrow.

Some people (me included) also swear on using a compass to help out. That step 7 of my ritual above is GREATLY oversimplified. I think most would agree that the last 50 meters of a cache are the hardest. Some units act screwy from Auto-Averaging, you have to rely on the precision and accuracy of the hider's coordinates, there's usually tree cover near a cache to mess with your reception, etc., etc.

Good luck - and here's to your first find. There's nothing quite like it... Mine was "Dr. Spyro's Challenge" - I wept the day it was archived icon_wink.gif

And I'll tell ya - I have a certificate I created for my son listing each of the caches he found with me, and I can remember the minutest detail from EACH cache. icon_biggrin.gif What a great hobby this is!

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guest martinp13

I always set waypoints for every lat/long provided on the page. If I don't use em all, who cares? But it's nice to be able to GOTO->parking-lot-waypoint, and once there, GOTO->cache-waypoint.

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:

I do have a Garmin ETrex - but the basic one w/out any cables, etc. So I can't download things directly.

So Should I do this:

2. Because I am directionally challenged - set begining waypoint at parking lot.

5. Find cache, Do happydance for our first cache, sign book, take picture, leave trinket?

BTW: Why not use the course pointer? Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the big dadgum arrow?

1. Yes. Double-check the coords after you put them in. You can feel free to use any name for the waypoint that you'd like, but I use the geocache item (GC1234).

2. Not necessary, but helpful.

3. Yep.

4. That's why I do, but others may not agree. Here's where a compass helps. You can get a bearing from your point to the cache, but the outer ring of the navigation compass may not be pointing in the right direction, especially if your zig-zagging. Stop, read the bearing to the cache, sight that bearing with a traditional compass, and move in that direction.

5. You forgot "Bask in the glory" icon_smile.gif

BTW, on the navigation page there is a difference between the course and [/i]bearing[/i] pointers. The bearing pointer is the fat arrow that points at the cache (or car, etc). The course pointer is the thin arrow that tries to keep you on a straight line between your starting point and the marked waypoint. It's not explained very well in the Garmin manual, and can be confusing. In short, the bearing pointer tells you everything you need to know, so ignore the course pointer.

Hope that helps. -Craig

Guest TeamCNJC

quote:

So Should I do this:

1. Yes. Double-check the coords after you put them in. You can feel free to use any name for the waypoint that you'd like, but I use the geocache item (GC1234).

2. Not necessary, but helpful.

3. Yep.

4. That's why I do, but others may not agree. Here's where a compass helps. You can get a bearing from your point to the cache, but the outer ring of the navigation compass may not be pointing in the right direction, especially if your zig-zagging. Stop, read the bearing to the cache, sight that bearing with a traditional compass, and move in that direction.

5. You forgot "Bask in the glory" icon_smile.gif

BTW, on the navigation page there is a difference between the course and [/i]bearing[/i] pointers. The bearing pointer is the fat arrow that points at the cache (or car, etc). The course pointer is the thin arrow that tries to keep you on a straight line between your starting point and the marked waypoint. It's not explained very well in the Garmin manual, and can be confusing. In short, the bearing pointer tells you everything you need to know, so ignore the course pointer.

Hope that helps. -Craig

Its not as complicated as some might make it sound. Here's what you do. Follow the big dadgum arrow until it says you are within 100 feet. Now look at where the arrow is pointing. If it says 100 feet, look that way and find a fix that is 100 feet away. Turn off your GPS and walk to that point. Now look around and think, if I were going to hide a cache here where would I put it? Go there. Wala!!

Guest Chris Juricich

My Map 76 when the Map screen is on shows a circle around the arrow of the moving unit (me and the GPS). What's the significance of that circle, folks? Does it represent accuracy?

Guest badbitbucket

As one who spent two years on the tech support phones for a software company, I want to personaly thank mkrafick for his RTFM (Read The "Fascinating" Manual).

And I will have you all know that when all else fails I also RTFM... oh, uh... oops! ;-)

-BBB

You want to talk confused? I've had my Magellan Tracker for almost a year now, and I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "just enough knowledge to make me dangerous..."

My question would be, I want to set a pre-set course...look at a map and say..this is where I want to be..set the coordinates..and get there (without having to go thru the swamp btw.. icon_smile.gif)

I can dowload from easygps. But it won't let me download from hunt 'n map.

You want to talk confused? I've had my Magellan Tracker for almost a year now, and I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "just enough knowledge to make me dangerous..."

My question would be, I want to set a pre-set course...look at a map and say..this is where I want to be..set the coordinates..and get there (without having to go thru the swamp btw.. icon_smile.gif)

I can dowload from easygps. But it won't let me download from hunt 'n map.